9/11 | Joseph Biden | News

BigGayDeal.com

Vice President Joe Biden's 9/11 Meditation on Loss: VIDEO

911-biden

Though the anniversary of 9/11 has passed, I hadn't seen this stunning, compassionate speech given by VP Joe Biden at the Shanksville, Pennsylvania memorial. It will resonate with everyone who has experienced deep grief over the loss of a loved one.

For no matter how many anniversaries you experience, for at least an instant, the terror of that moment returns; the lingering echo of that phone call; that sense of total disbelief that envelops you, where you feel like you’re being sucked into a black hole in the middle of your chest.

My hope for you all is that as every year passes, the depth of your pain recedes and you find comfort, as I have, genuine comfort in recalling his smile, her laugh, their touch. And I hope you’re as certain as I am that she can see what a wonderful man her son has turned out to be, grown up to be; that he knows everything that your daughter has achieved, and that he can hear, and she can hear how her mom still talks about her, the day he scored the winning touchdown, how bright and beautiful she was on that graduation day, and know that he knows what a beautiful child the daughter he never got to see has turned out to be, and how much she reminds you of him. For I know you see your wife every time you see her smile on your child’s face. You remember your daughter every time you hear laughter coming from her brother’s lips. And you remember your husband every time your son just touches your hand...

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

(h/t david mixner)

Comments

1. That was heartfelt and rather beautifully said.He's right.

Posted by: getewe | Sep 12, 2012 8:27:53 AM

2. Beautiful.

Posted by: Laura | Sep 12, 2012 8:57:32 AM

3. Beautiful. Right words in a right place.
    His best speech (so far).

Posted by: Matt26 | Sep 12, 2012 9:26:57 AM

4. I can't watch this. I'm almost in tears reading it.

Posted by: Feral | Sep 12, 2012 10:38:07 AM

5. Trust me Feral, it's much more emotional listening to it. I've never heard Biden talk about his own personal tragedy in such a heartfelt way - he knows what those people are experiencing, and he's living proof that you can get through it and have a happy, productive life, even if it takes time.

Posted by: CPT_Doom | Sep 12, 2012 12:22:37 PM

6. This was a nice speech.

Posted by: william | Sep 12, 2012 7:18:07 PM

7. Biden and Obama make an interesting pair. They are almost like parents.

Obama is the slightly distant, emotionally cool father. He's aloof, but you know that he cares. It just isn't easy for him to show it. You have to look at his actions to see where his heart truly lies. He plays his emotional cards close to his vest.

Biden is like a mother who is warm, emotionally open, and understanding. He wants to put his arm around you and assure you that it's going to be okay. You can hear the true empathy in his voice; it's not something that can be faked. And he can tell you that, yes, your father really cares.

I hope they bring these two very different styles together, when they have to make important decisions that can change people's lives.

Posted by: gr8guyca | Sep 13, 2012 5:21:55 AM