Elizabeth Warren | Massachusetts | News | Scott Brown

BigGayDeal.com

Elizabeth Warren Responds to Scott Brown's Attacks on Her Race: VIDEO

Warren

Elizabeth Warren responds in a new ad to attacks from Scott Brown about her Native American background:

"As a kid, I never asked my mom for documentation when she talked about our Native American heritage. What kid would? But I knew my father's family didn't like that she was part Cherokee and part Delaware — so my parents had to elope. Let me be clear, I never asked for, never got any benefit, because of my heritage. The people who hired me have all said they didn't even know about it. I'm Elizabeth Warren, I approve this message. Scott Brown can continue attacking my family — but I"m gonna keep fighting for yours."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Earlier...
Scott Brown Staffers Mock Elizabeth Warren with Native American War Whoops, Tomahawk Chops: VIDEO [tlrd]

Comments

1. no. there are actual native americans in this country. they may have grown up or live on reservations, and known some of the despair of those communities. they may face discrimination because they look non-white. they may have traditional religious or cultural practices; some may speak a native language. THEY are native americans by more than just warm emotional feelings about their great great GREAT grandmothers.

Posted by: nico | Sep 25, 2012 6:51:28 PM

2. Certainly Brown has more to throw at her than that. Ridiculous.

-Joe Bob (1/32nd Cherokee)

Posted by: joe bob | Sep 25, 2012 6:58:47 PM

3. @Nico: You're not making any valid points. You should go away. She is part native american AND she never used it to get ahead in life.

Posted by: RandySf | Sep 25, 2012 7:02:01 PM

4. "Actual" Native Americans? What does that even mean?

Posted by: AdamA | Sep 25, 2012 7:12:41 PM

5. She's NOT part Native-American and that is according to virtually all Native-American groups. But why is this on TowleRoad anyway?

Posted by: Perry | Sep 25, 2012 7:14:06 PM

6. Oh, and the ad is fantastic. It belittles the whole "debate," which is precisely the right move.

Posted by: AdamA | Sep 25, 2012 7:15:08 PM

7. All this socialist hack does is belittle anybody who's worked hard to become successful in life, promising to take their earnings and redistribute them as she sees fit. He'll crush her. She should take her teepee to Vermont.

Posted by: MarkUs | Sep 25, 2012 7:19:46 PM

8. If anyone is curious, Native American tribes have a long history of denying membership, and this does not make Warren wrong, but it shines a light on politics that many apparently know nothing about:

As is typical, conservatives are manipulating the ignorance of the White majority about what happens internally with minorities.

Posted by: Satire | Sep 25, 2012 7:22:26 PM

9. She was born in Oklahoma and grew up there. It is very common in OK for people to have Native ancestry even if it is not physically obvious. Furthermore, there is no evidence she ever tried to "gain advantage" because of this.

Scott Brown is hot but needs to be sent back home. I hope Warren wins since she is one of the few people in either party willing to stop the Wall Street abuses that started our economic crisis.

Posted by: Watcher | Sep 25, 2012 7:36:20 PM

10. Oh, look, everybody, the little "lady" is trying to play the "Look at this aggressive, mean man attacking me" game, which I guess had to happen sooner or later.

As much as I agree with Elizabeth Warren on financial regulatory issues and appreciate the role she has played in bringing those to the fore and exposing the basically criminal activities of Wall Street bankers, I don't think she has the temperment to hold public office.

And I have more Native American ancestry than she does (1/8 Cherokee), but would never pretend that that makes me a "minority", nor try to make political hay from it the way she has.

Posted by: Rick | Sep 25, 2012 7:42:54 PM

11. Watcher,

You are absolutely correct. I am as white as powder, and I'm Chickasaw.

Posted by: Chance Wimberley | Sep 25, 2012 7:43:07 PM

12. RICK, you are missing the point (deliberately I think). Warren did not make this an issue. Now that Brown is losing in recent polls, he started throwing this mud at her at their debate in the most disgusting racist way imaginable, and now has made this into a similarly racist attack ad against Warren, which he's running on television. This is simply her RESPONSE - and it's a damn smart and eloquent one at that.

Posted by: Zlick | Sep 25, 2012 7:50:59 PM

13. I'm having difficulty understanding why Scott Brown is even making Ms. Warren's heritage an issue. It just makes him look like a jerk!

Posted by: Ron | Sep 25, 2012 7:56:31 PM

14. Racist red meat for the Republican base, which within a generation will only be the "White Christian South" party.

Posted by: Cilie | Sep 25, 2012 7:56:45 PM

15. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewTSZgX2J4k

Could you ever imagine her getting a reaction like this from children? They'd probably hide under their desks with this harpy.

Posted by: MarkUs | Sep 25, 2012 7:57:31 PM

16. "Warren did not make this an issue"

She made it an issue when she claimed to be a Native American on a job application, undoubtedly to gain an advantage via affirmative action.

So a) she lied on an official form--which is certainly an issue when it comes to any candidate for public office--and an issue it is legitimate for Brown to bring up, and b) she lied about her race--which is also certainly a legitimate issue in a race-conscious society.

To pretend that she is being "attacked" unfairly is ridiculous.....but, I am afraid, exactly what one can often expect from women competing with men in all kinds of situations, including political campaigns.

And that is all a shame because, as I said, she has done a lot of good that she deserves credit for.....

Posted by: Rick | Sep 25, 2012 8:03:03 PM

17. Rick, repeat after me: She did not claim to be Native American on a "job application." No employer ever even knew of her ancestry (real or imagined) when they were hiring her. Report after report has stated these facts.

Posted by: RyanInWyo (formerly RyanInSacto) | Sep 25, 2012 8:16:25 PM

18. The real crime in all this is this racist making tomahawk chops and war whoops. It's just so funny reducing people to a stereotype.

Posted by: greenfuzz | Sep 25, 2012 8:16:58 PM

19. How much longer is he going to beat this dead horse??

Posted by: Ted | Sep 25, 2012 8:32:14 PM

20. More white people lying about 'native' ancestry. Great.

Posted by: Gabe R L | Sep 25, 2012 8:35:10 PM

21. Progressives would be wise not to support this affirmative action fraud. Nobody discredits affirmative action more than the fake Indian Warren.

Posted by: AG | Sep 25, 2012 8:37:07 PM

22. The US is 40 years behind western Europe in terms of racial issues. How can it be allowed for a politician to criticize someone based on their ethnicity ? Do that in Europe and you lose your career.

Why are Americans still OK with allowing this to happen ?

US = backward nation.

Posted by: Icebloo | Sep 25, 2012 8:37:11 PM

23. I can see why Democrats and gays never get very far in the US. This lady is Democrat and she has been attacked and most of the comments on here attack HER and support her racist attacker. No wonder bullying is out of control in the US.

IDIOTS.

Posted by: Icebloo | Sep 25, 2012 8:44:13 PM

24. I love how the trolls and Republican closet cases can only respond on Towleroad political posts that are barely substantive...and btw such issues only exist at all because of sheer Republican pettiness and partisanship. Warren claiming native ancestry is 3X less risible than Bush's constantly variable, fake Texas accent...yet no one in the media was giving that any attention.
    This is already old news, because there's another spurious assault in her regarding the location of her law office. They must be really afraid of having her in the Senate.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Sep 25, 2012 9:05:25 PM

25. Warren not being a Native American is the old scandal, the new one is her not being a lawyer and practicing law. Where's her ad responding to that?

Posted by: Jason (the commenter) | Sep 25, 2012 9:09:21 PM