News | Rainbow Flag | West Hollywood

West Hollywood Getting Permanent Rainbow Crosswalks

Rainbow

Work has begun on two permanent rainbow-colored crosswalks on Santa Monica and San Vicente Boulevards in West Hollywood, California, KTLA reports:

The permanent crosswalks will have skid-resistant thermoplastic pavement markings and new asphalt. The estimated cost to upgrade the rainbow crosswalks is $67,364. The estimated cost for the initial temporary installation was $13,000. Construction is being done by Sharidan Design Asphalt of Alpine and it's expected to be completed by the first week of October.

(via americablog)

Comments

1. La la la l@ l@!!!

Posted by: Lara | Sep 25, 2012 4:18:39 PM

2. LOVE LOVE LOVE! West Hollywood has a rich history in fighting for equality, not to mention some very horrific and heart breaking gay bashing incidents that took place in it's streets in the past. When you get the chance, read about the LGBT movement in West Hollywood during the 60s and 70s, and how so many in the LGBT united to help their friends in the 80s who were battling AIDS by throwing educational AND inspirational events throughout the streets of WEHO in the 80s (when some surrounding areas and cities wouldn't allow it)...and during the Prop 8 battle, it became a safe haven to have our battle cry, shout, hug, unite, galvanize. It's a city that is what you make of it and fortunately for me, I've been exposed to the many many, LGBT non profits, organizations, mentor groups, youth councel groups, events, get togethers and fond memories of Weho.

For me...this rainbow sidewalk is a symbol of all of that.

Posted by: lazerlightbeams | Sep 25, 2012 4:21:47 PM

3. Very neat!

Posted by: Cortiz | Sep 25, 2012 4:22:07 PM

4. Considering how hetero-washed the area was close to becoming, and how it was tireless GLBT who made West Hollywood what it is, I'm thrilled to see this. The thing about Los Angeles that many people don't know is that there's is literally a part of this city that is designated- yes, designated, for every demographic and group of people. That's not to say only those folks can migrate there at all. But it does mean that there is a part of this city that has a theme for all types of people, especially minority groups, to feel like they are one of many.
    Be it Pico and the Jewish region, Little Armenia, Persian Westwood, Chinatown, Olvera street and surrounding Mexican enriched area, Little Ethiopia, and there's even a street in downtown L.A that is one that celebrates being a women and has many organizations devoted to woman's rights. Each of these areas has flags, symbols, and identifiable traits that celebrate those in that community. For that reason, I'm glad a West Hollywood exists and I'm glad West Hollywood is unapologetic about being gay in a society that often demands we go back in the closet.

Posted by: USC Trojans Fan | Sep 25, 2012 4:27:01 PM

5. West Hollywood eh? So want to visit. Sorry we beat ya'll to the marriage goal but no worries you'll get there soon hunny. ^_^

Posted by: Alexander | Sep 25, 2012 4:28:21 PM

6. I actually think, given the layout of the street and the wonderful views of the Hollywood Hills, and blue sky above, that the vibrance of the colors looks quite striking and beautiful. I know exactly where this intersection is, and on a clear day, I think this lends a bit of ecclectic vibrance to the city.

Posted by: Edgar Fuentes | Sep 25, 2012 4:28:54 PM

7. Tacky.

Posted by: DavidGroff | Sep 25, 2012 4:30:38 PM

8. If the religious right can have their signs and billboards and posters literally in every single part of my small town...then I see absolutely no reason why we can't proudly display our rainbow colors. Plus, for me, whereas the recent religious billboard near our small town read divisive ("Don't have Jesus? Don't have fulfillment") the rainbow colors represent the beautiful diversity of the world. Tall, short, old, young, dark, light, shy, extroverted, those colors are about the diverse world around us. The religious images I see all around me every day here is all about "Be Christian....OR ELSE!"
    I'll take the pretty rainbow colors, thank you.

Posted by: Trip in Kansas | Sep 25, 2012 4:34:14 PM

9. Lovely.

I'm also in the camp that finds Weho charming, and endearing, and yes; full of broad history. I think it became 'cool' and hip to knock West Hollywood, but it's usually those who don't know much about it or care to give it a chance that were eager to bash this city. Anywhere you live, you're mentality will shape what you take away from the city. If all you want to fixate on is going out late night and getting drunk in weho, than by all means, that's all you will take away from it. If you were to explore the city some more, and it's incredibly diversified residents, many of whom are our elder LGBT, you'd see the charming city for what it is. A beautiful, incredibly clean, relatively safe, relatively affordable (rent control rocks) extremely dog friendly, fun, festive, and gay friendly area to let loose and just be.

That I can see two much older lesbians, share a cross walk with a body builder, an Asian women in a business suit, and a punk rock chick with pink spiked hair, and no one bats an eye lash is my idea of a pleasent environment.

Posted by: Los Angelino | Sep 25, 2012 4:41:18 PM

10. Good Lord, that is hideous!

Posted by: Gregoire | Sep 25, 2012 4:41:55 PM

11. lovesit! love love love love love it.

and remember, there's nothing less masculine than a grown man who's terrified of freakin' rainbows ;)

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Sep 25, 2012 4:42:04 PM

12. Beautiful.

Posted by: Mark | Sep 25, 2012 4:43:53 PM

13. Yeesh, they should have made them more earth toney.

Posted by: Droc | Sep 25, 2012 4:43:58 PM

14. I saw this and was SO hoping it would be permanent. This makes me really really happy!

Posted by: Chorteg | Sep 25, 2012 4:44:23 PM

15. LOVE! Can someone please please please bring those to NYC?!?! How great would they be on Christopher Street?

Posted by: MT | Sep 25, 2012 4:50:19 PM

16. Love it too. We're gay, proud of it, and YES we do have parts of cities that are gay enclaves and they rock and they should be known and sustained as 'gay notable areas'
    Wave those rainbow flags baby.

Posted by: Leon | Sep 25, 2012 4:56:59 PM

17. What I always find amusing is when heteros claim they don't care who is gay, and about being gay, yet clearly they do. Clearly there are enough heteros out there to be fixated on gays, our lives, our community to spend hundreds of millions of dollars in campaigns against our civil rights. Clearly they care enough to have conferences about how gays are ruining society. Clearly they care enough to have protests and rallies at our events. They only pretend not to care when we show our pride, be it with a parade or a rainbow flag, and in a calculating attempt to get us to not be "so gay" they attempt to make it seem as though we're the ones making a big deal of being gay. No, we're taking pride in being gay due to the courage it takes to be gay in this society of heterosexuals that dictates we be more "str8 acting"
    Extremely transparent.

Posted by: Duration & Convexity | Sep 25, 2012 5:00:32 PM

18. @ Duration & Convexity

WELL SAID!

Posted by: Art Smith | Sep 25, 2012 5:01:08 PM

19. Oh, I was hoping it would be permanent! :D

Posted by: jj | Sep 25, 2012 5:01:55 PM

20. God I hate that freaking rainbow. Why cant it just go away. It holds zero meaning to me as a gay man. More appropriate for a 12 year old girls clubhouse.

Posted by: Homo Genius | Sep 25, 2012 5:02:30 PM

21. I love the idea but HOW MUCH ?!!!! F*CK !
    Seriously ?

Someone is being ripped off. The gays will be blamed for wasting all that money.

Posted by: Icebloo | Sep 25, 2012 5:03:53 PM

22. The people who take issue with this are the same types who take issue with Pride, are the same ones who take issue with pro LGBT bumper stickers, are the same ones who take issue with the rainbow flag, are the same ones who take issue with same sex PDA...picking up on a pattern here?

There's some amongst us, better known as the self loathing crowd, who sincerely resent any and all identifiable traits of gay. It's not enough for them to be indifferent and passable toward our community and various symbolic traits of it, they demand we all adopt gay erasure, blend in, be passable and keep being gay hidden behind closed doors as a sexual fetish of some sort. Nah, I've been through quite a journey to land where I am today accepting myself as an openly gay man. I won't censor or hinder moments where I am proud of that. My initial reaction to reading about this sidewalk was: I'd like to go there for a photo op, because it represents something to me.

Posted by: Art Smith | Sep 25, 2012 5:05:45 PM

23. Homo Genius, your rant against the rainbow perfectly illustrates Art Smith's point above. Considering your previous posts that almost always read as either slightly homophobic at best, or apologist for being gay at worst, I'm not surprised you would take issue with the rainbow. You're the exact candidate Art Smith was referring to in his/her post.

Posted by: IonMusic | Sep 25, 2012 5:08:31 PM

24. Homo Genius,

Why can't your type of gay, ya know..those who resent identifiable gay symbols, live your lives for you? It's exactly like the 'str8 acting' crowd in the gay world. It's not enough for them to not act masculine, it's 'EVERY GAY MAN IS REPRESENTING ME, SO THEY NEED TO ALL HAVE THE SAME MANNERISMS AS ME! They are gay, I am gay, and I REALLY care about what heteros think of me. I want their approval. So fellow gays, adopt a straight like mannerism and be like me." Sorry dude, you don't get to dictate what other gays can think do, or what holds value to them. If you don't appreciate the rainbow for what it means, that's on you. It won't ever go away. E-V-E-R. So long as gays like me exist, and millions of us do, who know our history and are filled with *pride* about it; that flag ain't going nowhere. You on the other hand do have the option of 'de-gaying' yourself and distancing yourself from all rainbow flags, gay community themes, symbols, and the like. See how freedom works?

Posted by: USC Trojans Fan | Sep 25, 2012 5:13:05 PM

25. I kinda love this too. Rainbow is a known mark that associates a gay entity for many, and this is a way of saying:
    We are here, and have always been here, especially in this area.
    And as others noted, in a time where in sooooooooo many parts of the country we are being shunned, and shamed back in the closet or intimidated to stay hidden, a street mark like this sends the message to those who may be closeted that you're not alone, and in a town like this, you being out is celebrated and embraced. I like that.

Posted by: Scott Johansen | Sep 25, 2012 5:15:46 PM