Democratic National Convention | Democratic Party | Gay Parents | News | Zach Wahls

BigGayDeal.com

Zach Wahls Gives Powerful DNC Speech About His Two Moms: VIDEO

Zachwahls

Zach Wahls, YouTube sensation turned LGBT activist, offered a powerful speech at tonight's Democratic National Convention about being raised by two moms and the importance of recognizing and supporting all families.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Wahls' remarks:

I'm a sixth-generation Iowan, an Eagle Scout, and I was raised by my two moms, Jackie and Terry. People want to know what it's like having lesbian parents. I'll let you in on a little secret: I'm awesome at putting the seat down. Otherwise, we're like any other family. We eat dinner, we go to church, we have chores. But some people don't see it that way.

When I was 12, watching the 2004 Republican convention, I remember politicians talking about protecting marriage from families like mine. Now, supporting a view of marriage as between a man and woman isn't radical. For many people, it's a matter of faith. We respect that. Watching that convention on TV, though I felt confused, frustrated. Why didn't they think my family was a real family?

Governor Romney says he's against same-sex marriage because every child deserves a mother and a father. I think every child deserves a family as loving and committed as mine. Because the sense of family comes from the commitment we make to each other to work through the hard times so we can enjoy the good ones. It comes from the love that binds us; that's what makes a family. Mr. Romney, my family is just as real as yours.

President Obama understands that. He supports my moms' marriage. President Obama put his political future on the line to do what was right. Without his leadership, we wouldn't be here. President Obama is fighting for our families… all of our families. He has our backs. We have his.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. @Jason. I don't agree with your points. And I'm pretty sure you're not only misogynistic but also a lesbian hater. And yes, you're a troll. A bitter one.

Posted by: Beto | Sep 6, 2012 8:40:01 PM

2. I think it says a lot about the caliber of Towleroad and its moderation (specifically, the lack thereof) when posts are deleted for containing a swear word, but trolls like "Rick" and "Jason" can post what is tantamount to openly bigoted, blatantly false, misogynist hate speech, and NOBODY does anything about it.

I suppose if it gets people to keep coming back, if only to play along and feed the trolls, it makes Towleroad money through advertising revenue. Nicely played.

Posted by: atomic | Sep 6, 2012 8:41:42 PM

3. Poor Jason is going to be hearing good things from this young man for years to come. He is an outstanding young man raised by two good moms.

Posted by: andrew | Sep 6, 2012 9:00:40 PM

4. when people make outrageous comments, what they are really doing is crying out for help. Clearly there are a lot of lonely people in the world desperate for attention even if it is in the form of negative feedback. So let's say a prayer, or just wish these lonely people well. Let's not antagonize or vilify, let's just understand that they are in a sad place, need the attention and hope their situation improves so they can become more productive members of the community.

Great speech and a wonderful and important person to hear from at the DNC. His inclusion so clearly illustrates one of the most stark differences between the parties.

Thanks for posting.

Posted by: dms | Sep 6, 2012 9:01:37 PM

5. I can only hope that our son, now five, will grow up to be as proud and happy to have two dads as Zach is to be raised by two moms.

If Zach wants a career in politics he will very welcomed.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Sep 6, 2012 9:09:23 PM

6. Zach starts speaking and it takes me, oh, maybe 45 seconds, before I tear up. He's so poised and eloquent. Possibly one day he'll go into politics. I can hope. Until then, I'll be happy that he puts an intelligent and mature face on the idea that a family may be comprised of whatever diverse persons it is that comprise it.

Posted by: throwslikeagirl | Sep 6, 2012 9:14:20 PM

7. I had the chance to meet Zach at Des Moines Pride here in Iowa over the Summer. He is HUGE! Like 6'6 at least.

Anyway, he gave the same speech there except he let us all know that it was the first Pride he had ever attended. His speech in Iowa was short as well. I would love to hear a longer speech from him as it is clear he has a lot to say!

Posted by: Mo | Sep 6, 2012 9:20:57 PM

8. @ Jason, Zack has never come across as a "victim" nor has he ever claimed that he or his moms are victims in anyway. This kid is a bigger man than you ever will be. Take your comments to a site like likes whiners.

Posted by: Hmmmmm... | Sep 6, 2012 9:25:53 PM

9. Jass,

Get a grip! Not everyone has to be so jaded and bitter.

xxoo

Posted by: Jasonass | Sep 6, 2012 9:56:52 PM

10. He's so dreamy

Posted by: JT | Sep 6, 2012 10:31:50 PM

11. Jason feels that unless he puts someone down he's not doing his job.

Posted by: Joseph Singer | Sep 6, 2012 10:33:33 PM

12. Oh hey look, your daily dose of white cisgender heterosexual male ~ally~! Just swallow it all up without a thought!

Posted by: Lance | Sep 6, 2012 10:52:07 PM

13. This guy is a great speaker and I totally support everything he is doing and his commitment.

Posted by: acevedo | Sep 6, 2012 10:53:27 PM

14. What a hero for our community.

Zach, please enter politics! I know manyyyy LGBT who would donate to your political career

Posted by: Jordan | Sep 7, 2012 2:06:07 AM

15. Zach is a hero...
    And, as for the asstroll comments of Jason:
    a-- there is some truth in the idea that someone raised by 2 women is a bit more palatable to the public, as Gay men are seen as more threatening (but, of course, ALL men are seen as more threatening than women)
    b-- I think Gay women got started sooner, and in greater numbers than men, at raising kids, partly because they have wombs.
    c-- If someone knows a kid raised by 2 men who is exceptional as Zach, please advise him to speak up.
    IN OTHER WORDS, HE IS AN EXCEPTIONAL SPEAKER, AND HAPPENED TO COME FROM 2 WOMEN.

Posted by: Bob | Sep 7, 2012 3:20:53 AM

16. @ Lance
    That you take issue with Zach being a white straight male and even though he's a tireless supporter of ours, his race is what you notice first and take issue with speaks volumes about YOUR issues with race, YOUR racism and your jaded/ bitter self. Don't ever convince yourself that you can't be prejudice against a white kid because he is white. Your comments prove your bigotry. Something no one is immune to.

Posted by: Greg Cali | Sep 7, 2012 3:42:45 AM

17. Zach is an inspiration and amazing
    I also hope to see the child, maybe straight daughter as a contrast to Zach, of two gay dads be as prominent as Zach is. Gays Dads are villified so much that I do believe it's vital an outspoken advocate who is straight and the child of two gay fathers can be so visible as well

Posted by: Billy roxSteelJolt | Sep 7, 2012 3:44:58 AM

18. Bob
    Are you suggesting there's no exceptional or as exceptional children being raised by two men. Maybe I'm missing your point, but the way it's worded almost seems to suggest that it's not possible for a child to be raised as exceptionally by two men? If so, that defeats the whole purpose of everything you wrote and is fairly ignorant

Posted by: Klien | Sep 7, 2012 3:47:51 AM

19. He's a legend! Go Zach!

Posted by: Andreas | Sep 7, 2012 3:56:07 AM

20. I have two brothers, neither one is half the man that Zach is. What an amazing young man.

Posted by: Gigi | Sep 7, 2012 7:52:38 AM

21. "JASON,"

GREAT COMMENTS ABOUT THE SOCIAL DIFFERENCES IN THE TREATMENT OF MALE AND FEMALE HOMOSEXUALS.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Sep 7, 2012 2:12:03 PM

22. i tip my hat to the brave men and women, LGBT and not, who continue to visibly, vocally, and identifiably put a face and name to their words for Equality.

wanna make an impact? stop hiding in your proverbial closets.

werk.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Sep 7, 2012 2:34:27 PM

23. He's great.His moms raised a beautiful man.

Posted by: Miguel | Sep 7, 2012 4:56:13 PM