2012 Election | Barack Obama | Mitt Romney | News

Obama and Romney Roast Each Other, Themselves at Al Smith Dinner: VIDEOS

Obama

Last night President Obama and Mitt Romney exercised their comedy chops at the 67th Annual Alfred E. Smith Memorial Foundation white tie dinner in New York. The dinner benefited Catholic charities and at its center was NYC's homophobic Cardinal, Timothy Dolan.

Said Obama:

"In less than three weeks voters in states like Ohio, Virginia and Florida will decide this incredibly important election, which begs the question: What are we doing here?...This is the third time that Gov. Romney and I have met recently. As some of you may have noticed, I had a lot more energy in our second debate. I felt really well-rested after the nice, long nap I had in the first debate."

Jabbed Romney:

“I heard from the Federal Election Commission: From now on, whenever he appears on TV, there’s a recording of me afterward that says, ‘I’m Mitt Romney and I approve this message.’ I was actually hoping the president would bring Joe Biden along this evening because he will laugh at anything.”

Watch excerpts and raw video, AFTER THE JUMP...

Excerpts:

Obama:

Romney:

Comments

1. I've always hated this awkward dinner I don't care if Nixon and Kennedy and all since have done it.

Love the photo at the link. Does the Secret Service know the President's biggest stalker is directly behind him? To hell with the protective order, I guess.

Posted by: MarkUs | Oct 19, 2012 8:01:37 AM

2. Catholic Charities, huh? Talk about an oxymoron. No doubt people loved that Obama would have to suck it up and attend.

Man, we gotta win this one.

Posted by: Pete N SFO | Oct 19, 2012 9:00:12 AM

3. Mr. Obama was classy. Romney was petty, mean and delivered a campaign stump speech disguised as humor. Romney has no shame whatsoever.

Posted by: jamal49 | Oct 19, 2012 9:07:37 AM

4. I agree with JAMAL49. Obama entered into the spirit of the occasion and joked at his own expense while Romney took advantage of the situation to be nasty. Its a capsule portrait of their characters. Obama has grace and dignity, Romney... well, not so much.

Posted by: John Freeman | Oct 19, 2012 9:14:51 AM

5. sucking up to Catholic charities = capsule portrait of character...I completely agree

Posted by: Donald | Oct 19, 2012 9:31:03 AM

6. I guess Donald thinks a good liberal president should come out as anti-Catholic. Idiotic comment.

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Oct 19, 2012 11:12:45 AM

7. This is a hoary affair from the days when Catholic Church had a good chunk of NY voting this way and that. Plus, being in NY, you get dinner and a show.

Posted by: anon | Oct 19, 2012 12:20:17 PM

8. Sheesh. They should rename it the Alfred E Newman Charity Dinner.

Posted by: Kevin | Oct 19, 2012 1:01:29 PM

9. "Mr. Obama was classy. Romney was petty, mean and delivered a campaign stump speech disguised as humor. Romney has no shame whatsoever." I am beginning to believe more and more that perhaps Romney is a mentally disturbed man.

I would like to echo the sentiments of Jamal 49 and John Freeman, in that President Obama entered into the spirit of the occasion and joked at his own expense while Romney took potshots at the Prez under the pretext of humor. It never seizes to amaze me how lowdown, dirty, and nasty these soul-less Republicans truly are by revealing their devilish nature regardless of the occasion.

It is a dichotomous capsule portrait indeed of their characters. Barrack Obama has grace and dignity befitting a President and Royalty whereas Willard Romney has all the charm of an uncomfortable snake. It is as though he is almost ashamed of himself and that he almost doesn't know for sure if he will be able to get away with his improprieties, if you watch his facial expressions closely you will see what I mean.

Posted by: Bron Rock | Oct 20, 2012 8:18:31 AM