Football (American) | Gay Marriage | Matt Birk | Minneapolis | Minnesota | News | Sports

BigGayDeal.com

Baltimore Ravens' Matt Birk Wants to Keep Marriage from Gays

Matt Birk, a center for the Baltimore Ravens (Brendon Ayanbadejo's team) and a former player for the Minnesota Vikings (Chris Kluwe's team) wants people to know that he doesn't share their pro-equality views, penning an op-ed in the Star Tribune calling for voters to protect marriage, and noting that "not all NFL players think redefining marriage is a good thing."

BirkSays Birk, in part:

Same-sex unions may not affect my marriage specifically, but it will affect my children -- the next generation. Ideas have consequences, and laws shape culture. Marriage redefinition will affect the broader well-being of children and the welfare of society. As a Christian and a citizen, I am compelled to care about both.

I am speaking out on this issue because it is far too important to remain silent. People who are simply acknowledging the basic reality of marriage between one man and one woman are being labeled as "bigots" and "homophobic." Aren't we past that as a society?

Don't we all have family members and friends whom we love who have same-sex attraction? Attempting to silence those who may disagree with you is always un-American, but especially when it is through name-calling, it has no place in respectful conversation.

A defense of marriage is not meant as an offense to any person or group. All people should be afforded their inalienable American freedoms. There is no opposition between providing basic human rights to everyone and preserving marriage as the sacred union of one man and one woman.

Read Birk's full piece here.

Comments

1. What you women-worshipping lefists don't realize is that straight women are selfish and will not help you. My mother was a selfish woman who never gave me time alone with my father, so I had to dress up in drag and turn the lights down real low if i wanted to perform fellatio on him. And that's why I hate women.

Posted by: Rick | Oct 1, 2012 3:05:10 PM

2. Yes, Rick, I am imprisoned mentally, psychologically warped due to the depraved lifestyle I lead where I worship female starlets and pop icons like Christ Himself. You're right again, oh wise one. Truly impressed how you know SO much about me and others even when you have not once yet met me in person.

Posted by: Francis | Oct 1, 2012 3:05:40 PM

3. @DIOGENES ARKTOS

You said:

"Rick's tirades on feminism just echo what I read of the Religious Right when they've decided to lay off LGBT issues for awhile"

Really? I just argued AGAINST the idea of "romantic love" between a man and a woman and AGAINST the idea of sexual monogamy, both of which are sacrosanct to the Religious Right and both of which I, on the contrary, consider to be unnatural and the cause of much misery in men's lives.

But again, you won't let yourself go there because of YOUR OWN emotional attachment to women, will you? Again, you and they are both so wedded to women emotionally that you just represent two sides of the same tarnished coin, whether you realize it or not......

Posted by: Rick | Oct 1, 2012 3:11:57 PM

4. "There is no opposition between providing basic human rights to everyone and preserving marriage as the sacred union of one man and one woman."

This is actually true, but not in the way he thinks. We can have full civil marriage equality for everyone, and his church can still preserve whatever restrictive definition of "sacred" marriage they want.

Posted by: BABH | Oct 1, 2012 3:15:30 PM

5. At the risk of offending some, let me paraphrase what Matt is saying: "How dare you call us racists, you dumb n*****."

Fox News started this crap of bigots crying fowl over being called bigots, and teabaggers picked up on it and ran with it.

Posted by: sparks | Oct 1, 2012 3:15:58 PM

6. Someone's jealous of Brendon getting all the attention ! What a weak man.

Posted by: Icebloo | Oct 1, 2012 3:17:24 PM

7. The real source of my hatred is very much akin to anti-gay republican's hatred of gays. Basically, I suffer from what is known as "Vagina Envy"

I don't wish I had a vagina, I wish that I *was* a vagina.

A big floppity vagina. The fact that I talk about the need for masculinity without providing my own personal example of it is testament to this. I'm as masculine as Ted Haggard is heterosexual.

Posted by: Rick | Oct 1, 2012 3:19:21 PM

8. Rick...why don't YOU prove it?

Posted by: MATHMAJOR | Oct 1, 2012 3:22:26 PM

9. Proof is for femmes. Everyone knows that truly masculine gay men are the ones who come onto the internet every day to anonymously complain about effeminate gay males and women and liberals.

Everyone knows that. It's the definition of masculinity - to denigrate effeminate males without showing an example of the masculine man that I tell you that I am.

Posted by: Rick | Oct 1, 2012 3:26:39 PM

10. I guess we know what kind of a "Christian" he is.

Posted by: Jack M | Oct 1, 2012 3:27:29 PM

11. Because the simple fact, Mathmajor, is that Rick has no proof. Contrary to the pathetic troll, the 'nuclear family' isn't the foundation of society. Never was, and never will be. Unfortunately, much like the Republicans he worships, facts don't mean much to him.

Posted by: LiamB | Oct 1, 2012 3:30:06 PM

12. "Don't we all have family members and friends whom we love who have same sex attraction....."

First, you make same sex attraction sound an affliction !

Second, your rant sounds peculiarly like 'Some of my best friends are gay'.

Third, the phrase "unAmerican" is actually meaningless; just like the phrase "American Exceptionalism"....these are only invented sound-bite bons mots.....they may make you feel nice and warm but they are nonsense.

Fourth, I have never read a greater number of cliches strung together to sound as if they mean something; " Well Being of children/welfare of society/compelled to care/inalienable American freedoms.......as if no where else had freedoms.....or as if American freedom is any different to the rest of the world. Grow up !

Just because you string this kind of garbage into a numbing banal monologue doesn't excuse your Christian self righteous zeal to make everyone conform to what you want and approve of. And yes that self obsessed intolerance of others rights to the same status does make you one big bigot.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Oct 1, 2012 3:39:54 PM

13. "Contrary to the pathetic troll, the 'nuclear family' isn't the foundation of society"

Then why are you trying so hard to gain the right to marry and adopt and/or have surrogate children (i.e. to form a nuclear family) and why are you arguing so vociferously that children being raised by two same-sex spouses in such a marriage will be just as well off as children being raised by an opposite-sex couple?

Yet again, tying yourselves in knots and making yourselves look ridiculous.....because your emotional weddedness to women forces you into that situation.....

Posted by: Rick | Oct 1, 2012 3:41:28 PM

14. Our government and Civil Laws have absolutely NO business (to use his own words) in "preserving marriage as the SACRED union of one man and one woman."

Posted by: MCnNYC | Oct 1, 2012 3:42:28 PM

15. This tactic of trying to be "nice" about it is more infuriating than calling me a f@g and saying I don't deserve the same rights. If you're gonna punch me in the nose HAVE AT IT. But dot punch me in the nose and wrig your hands about how much you believe I shouldn't be punched in the nose! Moron!

Posted by: AJ | Oct 1, 2012 3:42:33 PM

16. What I found interesting was that most of the comments in the newspaper where the op-Ed originally ran were VERY pro-gay.

Posted by: Wbnyc | Oct 1, 2012 3:44:34 PM

17. If ever there was a cry for better helmets in football and less head trauma this was it.

Posted by: i could go on, but I won't | Oct 1, 2012 3:46:46 PM

18. I've been using tampons in my anus for the last few weeks, because I like feeling like a young girl, but it's had an adverse side-effect in that I find my anus extremely dry these days. It makes bowel movements more painful than usual. Does anyone have any helpful tips on how to maintain anal moisture while still allowing me to use tampons so I can feel like a real live girl?

Posted by: Rick | Oct 1, 2012 3:47:07 PM

19. Wait.....so Birk is saying that those gay couples marrying will affect "his children."

So, he's pretty sure his children are straight?

What if one of more of his children is gay? He seems rather determined to drive 'em to end their lives. Nice, Christian.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Oct 1, 2012 3:51:46 PM

20. Another note:
    If he wants to avoid labels of "bigot" and "homophobic" in the "discussion" of views on "marriage....how about we avoid labels of "Christian" in defending your own opinion Mr. Birk.

Posted by: MCnNYC | Oct 1, 2012 3:52:50 PM

21. "But, THINK OF THE CHILDREN!" I am gay and have two wonderful kids. I will stack my successful, happy children up against yours any day. They will tell you that gay parents can be every bit as good as straight ones.

Finally, when people promote discrimination against gays, the proper word for those people is "bigot." Sorry you find it offensive. I find your bigotry offensive.

Posted by: candideinnc | Oct 1, 2012 3:57:22 PM

22. Isn't it kind of ironic that a man who makes his living by bending over and letting another man put his hands up under his crotch would oppose equality? Hypocritical even?

Here's a man who repeatedly slams his body into other men, and gets paid to let other man slam their bodies into men, and then roll around on the ground together in a testosterone-drenched display of aggressive homo-eroticism; a man who has showered promiscuously with scores of other naked men during the course of his career ....and he opposes two persons of the same having legal recognition for conducting personal business together.

Looks like the inevitable dementia has started a little early for Birk.

Posted by: Hut Hut | Oct 1, 2012 4:00:40 PM

23. Wow, folks don't like being called out on their bigotry.

Posted by: AngelaChanning | Oct 1, 2012 4:06:04 PM

24. And here's Kluwe's response:

Well-stated, as always.

Posted by: Glenn | Oct 1, 2012 4:06:17 PM

25. and I want to nullify his marriage .... and redefine his family as moot ....
    Bigots see themselves as superior to everyone else

Posted by: MarkBoston | Oct 1, 2012 4:38:33 PM