2012 Election | Barack Obama | Gay Marriage | Lena Dunham | News

BigGayDeal.com

'Girls' Creator Lena Dunham Compares Voting Obama to Losing Virginity in Suggestive Campaign Ad: VIDEO

Lena_dunham

CNN reports that this ad from Girls creator Lena Dunham for the Obama campaign has conservatives "collectively gasping".

Your first time shouldn't be with just anybody. You want to do it with a great guy. It should be with a guy with beautiful… somebody who really cares about and understands women.

A guy who cares about whether you get health insurance, and specifically whether you get birth control. The consequences are huge. You want to do it with a guy who brought the troops out of Iraq. You don't want a guy who says, "Oh hey, I'm at the library studying," when he's really out not signing the Lilly Ledbetter Act. Or who thinks that gay people should never have beautiful complicated weddings of the kind we see on Bravo or TLC all the time...

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Two weeks ago, Dunham showed her support of marriage equality and Obama via a powerful Instagram photo.

Comments

1. First Big Bird and now this? Obama knows that the election is over and he is not going to win. The electoral college is now point to Romney with either WI or MI replacing Ohio.

Posted by: dana | Oct 26, 2012 12:09:56 PM

2. Honestly. Can we either ban Jason or just SERIOUSLY IGNORE HIM?

When I come to this site, I want to see Andy's news and some good discussion.

Not some troll fest with people who are willing to even lend him credibility by arguing with him. I don't think you argue with a rabid dog when it bites everything it sees do you? Because that makes you crazy doesn't it? So stop doing it! Now more than half page is just that, people arguing with a rabid dog about logic.

Posted by: David | Oct 26, 2012 1:01:15 PM

3. Dana
    Keep dreaming.

Posted by: Alan | Oct 26, 2012 1:50:34 PM

4. AJ, why do you have to call me an idiot and a troll? All I did was express an opinion that I don't think this ad is very presidential. Although I'm voting for Romney, I like Obama as a person and don't at all gloat that he may be embarassing himself with an like this. You are certainly entitled to your opinion about the ad, but there's no reason to call me names just because we disagree. Towleroad can have a diversity of viewpoints on it, not just be an echo chamber for pro-Obama liberals. And I'm no longer an opponent of the gay rights agenda as I was when I first started posting here over a year ago.

Posted by: Mary | Oct 26, 2012 7:04:14 PM

5. @mary, that's interesting. can i ask: 1) are you gay/bi, 2) what led you to towleroad if not? 3) what made you change your mind about gay rights?

Posted by: me | Oct 26, 2012 7:43:52 PM

6. OK, Me - here's the deal. So far as I'm aware,I'm straight, but since I've never had any same-sex experiences I can't say with 100% certainty where I fall on the Kinsey scale (trying to be absolutely honest here). I came to Towleroad because I was trying to learn more about the LGBT community from THEIR point of view. I'm a social conservative who opposed gay marriage, but I am interested in social issues and like to read from a variety of viewpoints. I responded positively to the portrayal of a gay romance on the soap "As the world turns" two years ago and so started to lose some of my homophobia. The writer Jonathan Rauch impressed me and I wanted to read more about gay issues. After a number of months on Towleroad I became more pro-gay and even found that I now supported the right of gay couples to adopt. I greeted the end of DADT with happiness that LGBT citizens can now serve in the military. My opposition to gay marriage started to wane and I changed positions when it started to look as if I were one of the only people in America to worry about the effect this change would have on future generations of straight people. My main fear that the gay lifestyle will be a competitor with the straight lifestyle and lead to serious upheaval in society may have been an exaggerated fear. At least I HOPE this is the case.

Posted by: Mary | Oct 26, 2012 8:56:03 PM

7. It is a sophomoric ad by a TV writer that wins President Obama no new votes. Mitt Romney is ahead in the latest Gallup poll, because his theme has been consistent and simple: States’ Rights. He has defined the election as a battle between States Rights and Big Federal Government. And he means it. That plays well for him in the individual Swing States. As a Mormon, Romney idolizes States’ Rights.
    To gain an existential understanding of the cult that produced Mitt Romney, and to get your socks scared off, read The Assassination of Spiro Agnew, available in paperback and e-book on Amazon

Its unwilling, part-Mexican Mormon assassin dramatizes the Mormon superiority complex, manifesting it as racism, sexism, jingoism and an anti-federal government temperament. His research in the new library reveals ominous similarities between Islam and Mormonism. The spiritual power behind the cult, which is not the Holy Ghost, acts out.

“With a clarity of language and vision unsurpassed in contemporary American prose, Steven Janiszewski’s Assassination of Spiro Agnew takes us into a U.S. mazed with madness and Mormonism and all things Utah, a U.S. that was then and still is. Readers, welcome to a masterpiece.”
    Tom Whalen

Read The Assassination of Spiro Agnew.

Posted by: Steven Janiszewski | Oct 26, 2012 10:30:19 PM

8. She's so ugly that I cannot imagine her losing her virginity.

In the video her look may appear fixable, but when you see a full body shot of her, it becomes clear that her ugliness is intractable.

She's a 5 foot nothing blob with thighs that look like small logs of melting butter.

Posted by: josh | Oct 27, 2012 12:25:42 AM

9. Earth to Obama: Lena is more likely to lose you the election than win it. Ditch her.

Posted by: jason | Oct 27, 2012 12:55:33 AM

10. my friend's mom makes $73 hourly on the internet. She has been fired from work for six months but last month her pay check was $19694 just working on the internet for a few hours. Here's the site to read more http://www.Mid12.com

Posted by: giga | Oct 27, 2012 7:34:23 PM

11. The ad and the unwomanly creature in it are really vapid, vacuous, unfunny, unseemly, un-telegenic -- and the ad shows a disgusting contempt toward the very females they're trying to "reach."

Apparently Democrats think women are drooling idiots to be easily manipulated.

And apparently this passes for "cutting-edge wittiness" with mind-numbed liberals.

Posted by: Rocco | Oct 27, 2012 11:48:07 PM

12. I have seen at least one TV ad that began with "your first time should be..." leading some viewers to believe that "sex" was being sold. In fact there is a show called "Property Virgins" that used the same selling concept in their promos, overtly comparing buying your first house to your first sexual experience. In other words this is nothing new, so why are some people getting all twisted in knots?
    Up to this point in time it looks as if only ONE woman has chimed in the discussion and her point of disagreement is that the ad is not "presidential". Nothing about Dunham's appearance or how demeaning and sexist it is to women or any of the other blah blah blah reactions from MEN saying what this ad means to WOMEN. If you are a woman by all means say what kind of reaction YOU had, but don't begin to speak for ALL women. And to the gay men who post, don't you just hate it when straight people try to tell us how WE feel and what WE think? Well,speak for yourselves only and not for any other gender, social group, ethnicity, sexuality, religion, age group.....
    The ad was written and directed towards college age WOMEN who have never voted. If you are one of that group, please speak up

Posted by: Paul C.K. | Oct 28, 2012 5:50:36 AM