Catholic Church | News | Salvatore Cordileone | San Francisco

Episcopal Bishop Who Publicly Opposed Prop 8 is Blocked from Ceremony Installing New Anti-Gay SF Archbishop

Episcopal Bishop Marc Andrus, who publicly opposed Proposition 8, was blocked yesterday from attending the ceremony installing San Francisco Archbishop Salvatore Cordileone at St. Mary's Cathedral, in San Francisco. Cordileone was deeply involved in Proposition 8's creation and passage.

AndrusWrites Andrus, of his arrival at yesterday's installation:

An archdiocesan employee attempted to escort me upstairs with the Greek Orthodox group, but was stopped from doing so by the employee to whom I had first identified myself. This person, who appeared to be in a superior role, instructed another employee to stand with me.

At this point no other guests remained in the downstairs area. The employee and I chatted while waiting. I began to wonder about the time holdup. I checked my phone; it was 1:50PM. I asked the employee standing with me if the service indeed started at 2, which she affirmed.

At 2PM, when the service was to begin, I said to the employee, "I think I understand, and feel I should leave." Her response was, "Thank you for being understanding." I quietly walked out the door. No one attempted to stop me. No attempt was ever made to explain the delay or any process for seating. I arrived early, before the time given my assistant, and waited to leave until after the service had begun.

Comments

1. What do you expect from a bunch of dotty old eunuchs in frilly dresses? Correction, make that dotty old drunk-driving eunuchs. Respect and courtesy to others? Not as long as Pope Prada XVI is around.

Posted by: Onnyjay | Oct 5, 2012 5:40:20 PM

2. Religion is poison.

Posted by: Buster | Oct 5, 2012 5:55:10 PM

3. There are a lot of former alter boys who WISH those dotty old men in frilly dresses had been eunuchs.

Posted by: topdawgbombadil | Oct 5, 2012 6:49:05 PM

4. What class! The bishop shows up and is prevented from being present in the ceremony. No warning before hand that he is not wanted. No explanation of why he was detained. Bigot Cordileone and his minions are jerks.

Posted by: john patrick | Oct 5, 2012 7:03:00 PM

5. As a cradle Episcopalian, this kind of thing makes me thankful Henry VIII decided he rilly, rilly wanted a divorce from Katherine (although it didn't turn out so well for Anne, now did it?)

Posted by: BobC562 | Oct 5, 2012 7:03:45 PM

6. BobC562 : I don't think it turned out too good for any of the six ! Except, maybe, the last one..

Posted by: Yupp | Oct 5, 2012 7:43:31 PM

7. The Episcopal Church is not Catholic. But it pretends to be. Perhaps it was this fundamental dishonesty that caused the Catholics to ban the Episcopalian. In fact, I wouldn't want him at my ceremony, either.

Posted by: ernstroehm's ghost | Oct 5, 2012 8:07:53 PM

8. EGhost: It isn't Roman Catholic (thank God) but it is catholic. The apostolic church was created long before Rome co-opted the title and thought it was the sole arbiter of all things holy. And no, ECUSA and Anglican Church makes no attempt to be like the RC Church. In fact, they do just the opposite. The Episcopal "low church" tries to move as far away from Anglo-Catholicism as possible. But what, you think Roman Catholics have a lock on the sacraments and the liturgy? The Anglican rosary is different, everyone is invited to the rail to receive communion, not just those confirmed, as opposed to the RC Church, and each parish is controlled by the local vestry, rather than an overlord at the diocese. And of course, we don't move around pedophiles like a peanut in a shell game in order to protect reputation and assets. So piss off you sanctimonious git.

Posted by: BobC562 | Oct 5, 2012 8:25:39 PM

9. @BobC. I hope your first comment was a droll one and not to be a pedant, but Henry heard Latin mass from Catholic priests right up to his deathbed. His young son King Edward and Bishop Cranmer started the C of E later, when it was safe to be Protestant, once Henry was in his grave. Thwe whole annulment thing only made Henry head of the CATHOLIC church in England, or at least that was his understanding.

The rudeness and open "in your face" insult to the Episcopal bishop is shocking even for the activist right wing Paisano in the pointy hat. The baby Jesus is weeping.

Posted by: Contrarian | Oct 5, 2012 10:21:47 PM

10. @Yupp

It turned out reasonably well for Anne of Cleves (#4). Henry took one look at her and ran right for the divorce court. Anne made out OK in the settlement.

Posted by: Rich | Oct 5, 2012 10:24:49 PM

11. "My intention for attending the installation was to honor our ecumenical and interfaith relations in the Bay Area." said Episcopal Bishop Mark Andrus.

Well, sir, good luck with that where the vengeful, petty, vindictive Catholic Church is concerned. Further, sir, the Catholic Church dogmatically and canonically do not even acknowledge that you are a real Bishop. As an Episcopalian, you are still considered illegitimate.

Tom in Long Beach, you forgot to mention Pope XII's vile, self-serving collaboration with the Nazis to look the other way while they carried out their venal slaughter in order to protect his Church's property and wealth, and to keep his effete hands from ever getting soiled by such unpleasantries as actually living the Gospel in a brave and forthright manner. Not to mention the Church's centuries-long sexual and mental abuse of children.

@UFFDA your comment above is perhaps one of the most beautiful and concise distillations of a person's spiritual journey to enlightenment that I have ever read. Thank you.

Posted by: jamal49 | Oct 6, 2012 10:34:29 AM

12. Rich : Thanks. You're right. She did pretty good.

Posted by: Yupp | Oct 6, 2012 11:57:34 AM

13. @E Ghost: "The Episcopal Church is not Catholic. But it pretends to be. Perhaps it was this fundamental dishonesty that caused the Catholics to ban the Episcopalian."

Not on your life. I'm in a city with both a Roman cathedral and an Episcopal cathedral. The cathedrals seem to enjoy a decent relationship - this would never have happened. As an example, at an ordination (consecration, if you prefer) of an Episcopal bishop, the Roman cathedral assisted by lending vestments, etc.

Now, a bit of history. This is just another example of Rome putting politics over theology. At the time of Trent, the theologians said that if Rome was serious about the validity of ministry, CofE was valid. The pope overruled the theologians, refusing to believe they had "lost" England. They thought that if the ministry was ruled invalid, England would come screaming back to Rome. Look what happend.

The next time Anglican Orders were examined by Rome was the turn of the 20c, in what impartial observers would say was a kangaroo court. Again, the timing was such that the hierarchy was being reestablished in England, and they believed the country would come screaming back to Rome. Look what happened.

@Yupp: I share your discomfort in comparing the RC to the groups you mentioned.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Oct 6, 2012 4:09:16 PM

14. Less than 50 years ago the Episcopal Bishop woud not have been allowed to attend the Roman Catholic ceremony because he is a "heretic: destined for hell. Today its O.K. to be a "heretic" as long as you are not pro gay equality. It is too bad he didn't have the courage to call their bluff and march right into the ceremony.

Posted by: andrew | Oct 6, 2012 11:10:52 PM

15. As is often true with anit-gay bigotry it just gets worse. According to the TEC press release about the event, both sides agree that +Marc was INVITED to attend. RC lies claiming he was too late (even though he was actually early) for the proprer seating of such people. As Lymis presciently noted RC just claimed he left of his own accord.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Oct 7, 2012 6:43:26 AM