2012 Election | Barack Obama | Mitt Romney | News | The Economy

'Family Guy' Animator Illustrates Obama's Point, Graphically: VIDEO

Obamanow

Lucas Gray, an animator for The Simpsons and Family Guy, was so impressed with the concise economic lesson President Obama gave in an April 2012 speech that he added some illustrations and posted it on YouTube under the name "Why Obama Now."

In this final cut, called "Why Obama Now," Gray's illustrations perfectly complement Obama's point-by-point denunciation of right-wing, tax-cutting policies that got the nation to where it is today and show the vast difference between the Republican Party's past projections and our contemporary reality.

For anyone still unclear on the grave financial toll GOP-led efforts have wrought, check out Gray's video AFTER THE JUMP...

The graphics and statistics are illuminating and horrifying.

Comments

1. I would share this if it had the current President in the illustration.

Posted by: M. Scott Hernandez | Oct 7, 2012 10:21:03 AM

2. Nicely done.

Posted by: matt | Oct 7, 2012 10:47:56 AM

3. M. Scott Hernandez -- what do you mean? Obama is shown at the end of the animation, finishing the speech. Starting at 3:14 (or so).

Posted by: M. O'. | Oct 7, 2012 10:57:18 AM

4. (I think he means in the screen shot at the top of this article.)

Posted by: Ric | Oct 7, 2012 11:12:45 AM

5. Good job and I've shared it to all my peeps.

Posted by: Gigi | Oct 7, 2012 11:43:55 AM

6. How can I send this link to Rachel Maddow
    so she can show it on her show?

Posted by: BrokebackBob | Oct 7, 2012 1:00:46 PM

7. I *love* this - shared it on Facebook.

Posted by: John Freeman | Oct 7, 2012 1:17:12 PM

8. Yes, I meant the screen shot. My Republican friends would call this speech rhetoric without a visual aid (bar graph). My partner and I (with our two adopted kids) are the life of the gossip party. "Piss off!" is our response. Our kids wrote a letter to Mutt supporting Bird Bird and his friends. They made their dads very proud. We never asked them too. They can read and watch the news.

Posted by: M. Scott Hernandez | Oct 7, 2012 1:27:58 PM

9. I'd like to see the job growth bar for President Obama's time in office on the chart too. I'd rather it not be perceived as hiding something about job growth since he took office. If it really is less, then this is disingenuous. If it is more, why not clearly show that in the chart?

Posted by: cjr | Oct 7, 2012 5:45:46 PM

10. It's no secret that Seth Macfarlane hates--and I mean HATES--George W. Bush. Like, loathes with every fiber of his being. He may not classify himself as a Democrat, but his contempt for W. knows no bounds; it's unsurprising that "Family Guy"'s peeps would have developed something like this, considering what the show has done to Bush in the past. (Clinton gets a sort of begrudging admiration, mostly due to his sexual magnetism and powers; even Peter succumbed.)

Posted by: Dback | Oct 7, 2012 8:40:04 PM

11. @CJR Because not even his first term isn't over yet. Those job growth bars reflect full terms. Showing Obama's as it is right now wouldn't be able to compare with equal time. (Though they should have citations in the cartoon, that I think is important) Remember it's only been 3 1/2 years since Obama took office. In that time, he has recovered the jobs we lost from the 08 crash. Unemployment is at 7.8%. For recovering from the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression, and I say that to remind everyone it was that BAD. Anyone who says we aren't better of than four years ago is lying. From loosing hundreds of thousands of jobs back to creating private sector jobs each month is an accomplishment on its own. Trust me, if Romney wins, you won't hear about deficits or jobs from the right anymore. It'll be back to cutting taxes and restricting people's rights as the main agenda. Any arguing and you'll be branded "unpatriotic" again. This party is the same party as Bush, only further to the right.

Posted by: Redebbm | Oct 7, 2012 10:17:17 PM

12. Sigh. Why don't the Democrats ALWAYS talk like this? It is the truth!

Posted by: Miguel R. | Oct 8, 2012 1:12:01 AM

13. interesting video but it will sadly be ripped apart. why? maybe i'm just being too picky but there are some stupid spelling mistakes that make the animators look less intelligent. "corpopate" (at 1:36) and "insurence" (at 1:39) shouldn't be in the video. i know they aren't major mistakes and they could be easily overlooked but this video will be picked apart by the other side and the animators should have carefully edited the final product so it doesn't make them look stupid. and i know i shouldn't focus on the mistakes and more on the actual content...but i can't help myself.

Posted by: pitluver | Oct 8, 2012 2:40:59 AM

14. The vast difference between the Republican Party's past projections and our contemporary reality.

Posted by: Rosana Rodrigue | Oct 8, 2012 3:25:10 AM

15. @pitluver...you use six sentences to explain to us how stupid mistakes distract you from the content fo the clip. None of those six sentences begin with a capital letter. Should we even read what you posted, or will it all just be nonsense?

Posted by: RHR IN TN | Oct 8, 2012 8:58:32 AM

16. And, true to form, being my own worst enemy, in the above post, "fo" = "of". LOL :)

Posted by: RHR IN TN | Oct 8, 2012 9:00:02 AM

17. Why doesn't a Democratic Super-Pak pick this up and broadcast it?

Posted by: chuck | Oct 8, 2012 10:57:00 AM

18. He has recovered the jobs we lost from the 08 crash.

Posted by: Georgine Carlos | Oct 9, 2012 5:08:26 AM