Australia | Julia Gillard | News

BigGayDeal.com

Australian PM Julia Gillard Rips Opposition Leader for Sexism and Misogyny in Fiery Floor Speech: VIDEO

Gillard

Here's your first political must-watch moment of the day.

Quite a scene in the Australian parliament today after opposition leader Tony Abbott made a motion to remove House Speaker Peter Slipper for allegedly sending text messages that contained crude comments about women.

Slipper later resigned on his own, but not before Prime Minister Julla Gillard's Labor Government voted to block Abbott's motion and Gillard rose to verbally rip Abbott's head off.

AbbottBusinessweek reports:

“I will not be lectured about sexism and misogyny by this man,” Gillard told parliament, pointing at Abbott. “The leader of the opposition says that people who hold sexist views and who are misogynist are not appropriate for high office. Well I hope the leader of the opposition has got a piece of paper and he is writing out his resignation.”

Abbott, whose Liberal-National coalition is leading in polls before elections due next year, has faced claims from Labor ministers that he has a problem dealing with powerful women. He began a media blitz defending his credibility last week with the help of his wife Margie.

Gillard has been confronted by protesters bearing placards reading “Ditch the Witch” since becoming prime minister in June 2010, and has previously attacked sexism in Australian politics. Today, she accused Abbott of “repulsive double standards when it comes to misogyny” and said she’d been offended by “cat-calling” to her in the House of Representatives.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Rick,

You really are stupid beyond words.

Posted by: Laura | Oct 9, 2012 11:08:31 AM

2. Lil' Canadian,

PLEASE stop trolling under one of your 10,000+ alias and hijacking of other users names.

======================

@John,

There are many 'progressives' in the U.S. who automatically think ALL 'white' countries should follow the 'American Model' of multiculturalism, unfettered immigration [preferably from 3rd world countries, but restrict immigration from countries similar to the U.S. and traditional American culture]. They don't think The British [English, Scottish, Welsh, Irish], Europeans, and nations like Australia, Canada [and the U.S.] should have a single identity and culture. They however don't place the same demands for 'multiculturalism' on Asian societies and nations [who wouldn't tolerate it anyway] African, or other non-European-based [READ: non-white] societies and nations.

I hope Australia,the UK, and European nations all stop following the 'American Model' of immigration before it's too late, for their sakes.

Posted by: ratbastard | Oct 9, 2012 11:12:14 AM

3. Who cares about her. She's a homophobe.

Posted by: J. | Oct 9, 2012 11:59:48 AM

4. I just came back from Sydney and Melbourne and I absolutely loved my trip. It's too bad Australia has such a poor record on equality for gays. I also understand racial relations, especially with those of Arab origins, have been tense despite being a multicultural country of immigration. That's too bad because on all other fronts, I have found Sydney and Melbourne (especially Melbourne, which I adored) to be very livable and cosmopolitan cities. Julia Gillard is rather a hypocrite to be lecturing on sexism and misogyny when she can't even explain logically why she opposes gay marriage. And the Tony Abbott is nothing but a Catholic chauvinist creep. What a pair.

Posted by: ah123 | Oct 9, 2012 12:15:35 PM

5. "I disagree with Gillard on marriage equality, but absolutely applaud her stance against sexism and misogyny."

@Erko: Don't you see the irony in the statement you just made? It would be like applauding her for denouncing the ""racism" of someone she perceives as disrespecting white people when in other statements she blocks the basic human rights of inter-racial couples because she finds them icky or uncultured.
    Julia Gillard IS a sexist who wants OTHER couples discriminated against on the basis of their sex, and seems to only be against sexism when it's about HER.

Posted by: GregV | Oct 9, 2012 12:22:53 PM

6. Though I'm atheist, the Bible does have some wisdom in it.

"You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye."

Julia Gillard is so eloquently offended by sexism but completely blind to her own offensively blatant homophobia. So before she lectures someone else on double standards perhaps it's SHE who should look in a mirror. While I don't doubt that the Opposition Leader is indeed sexist, her own attacks on the dignity of others hardly puts her in a position to cast stones.

Posted by: Caliban | Oct 9, 2012 12:29:46 PM

7. Can't we cheer this woman on? All because she doesn't support us we are obliged not to cheer her on for it. Perhaps she will evolve and change her views, and yes she did not mention this other guy, but obviously she did bring to the forefront sexism in a country that should be a lead for change.

I am cheering her on, sooner or later she will turn around and it is better to have her on our side then not.

Posted by: Patrick | Oct 9, 2012 1:06:15 PM

8. Oh the irony of Ratbastard complaining about others using numerous aliases, when it has been well established that he/she is an alias of Rick/Jason.

Posted by: MateoM | Oct 9, 2012 1:14:13 PM

9. "I am cheering her on, sooner or later she will turn around and it is better to have her on our side then not"

Right. She just HAS to "turn around", because don't you know that straight women are always really deep-down on our side?

(If not, then how can I possibly go on justifying my habit of living vicariously through women and idolizing them, which is what my whole identity is based on?)

Posted by: Rick | Oct 9, 2012 1:16:04 PM

10. She is the absolute wrong person to be speaking up against discrimination. Completely wrong. I could care less how good her speech was, she has nothing to say that I want to hear anymore.

Posted by: JohnAGJ | Oct 9, 2012 1:18:21 PM

11. Rick,

just what is the meaning of your comment on the Pakistani girl who spoke out for peace, and is now fighting for her life?

A 14 year old is brave enough to stand up to the Taliban, and what are you saying?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Oct 9, 2012 1:28:22 PM

12. What I meant, Derrick, was that in Islamic culture, men's principal emotional and social bonds are to each other, not to women as they are in the West......and that prevents feminism from taking hold.

It is no mistake that this girl was egged on by American NGOs, idolized an American politician, and told her "story" to a British media outlet.....and got her award from a Dutch organization.

Posted by: Rick | Oct 9, 2012 1:52:24 PM

13. Ironic that Rick brings up the subject of the girl being hunted by the Taliban for speaking up against them. Both Rick and the Taliban are ignorant fools that spew blind hatred toward women. The only difference is that the Taliban doesn't hide behind a computer monitor and sockpuppet alts.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Oct 9, 2012 2:02:44 PM

14. No,sorry to burst anyone's bubble, I AM NOT 'RICK' OR 'JASON'. I post as Ratbastard.

Someone is confusing me with Towleroad's resident master troll, Lil' Canadian.

Posted by: ratbastard | Oct 9, 2012 2:34:26 PM

15. No,sorry to burst anyone's bubble, I AM NOT 'RICK' OR 'JASON'. I post as Ratbastard.

Someone is confusing me with Towleroad's resident master troll, Lil' Canadian.

Posted by: ratbastard | Oct 9, 2012 2:34:27 PM

16. And to prove it I'm not going to prove it because everyone knows proof has a liberal bias and I don't like liberals.

Posted by: ratbastard | Oct 9, 2012 2:43:44 PM

17. Julia Gillard has no credibility. She is a truly awful Prime Minister and is the reason her party will lose the next election.

She will stab anyone in the back for her own gain and she is only out for herself.

Never had a Labor Party leader been so incompetent and self absorbed.

As a Labor supporter, it hurts me to say this but I can't wait for this vile woman to get defeated and pushed back into the obscurity she so deserves.

Posted by: Icebloo | Oct 9, 2012 3:09:20 PM

18. What a frosty b!tch.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Oct 9, 2012 3:23:59 PM

19. @ Icebloo,

Well said. Australia deserves better than this hypocrite.

Posted by: Artie_in_Lauderale | Oct 9, 2012 4:07:42 PM

20. @RICK: Oh, so when I punch you in the face to break your jaw, you'll be just fine with it since I'll be asserting my masculinity over you? We know you won't be able to call upon your untapped "maleness" to respond. You'll seek the help of others.

How womanly of you.

Posted by: Rrhain | Oct 9, 2012 4:38:21 PM

21. And Tony Abbot responds:

'PMS Is A Serious Disease'

Posted by: Abbot Kenny | Oct 9, 2012 5:14:39 PM

22. Gillard was instrumental in blocking gay marriage. Woman or no, she is an embarrassment to me as an Australian.

For those not from this country, Tony Abbot (Mr misogyny) is part of a party with a poor record on homophobia/racism/indigenous issues. However, they have a candidate who will probably replace the man in time for the next election who is strongly pro-gay marriage, Malcolm Turnbull. If Turnbull runs for Prime Minister he will almost definitely get in, and Australia can once again be on the right side of History.

Posted by: Tristram | Oct 9, 2012 8:18:21 PM

23. OK, I knew the PM was a homophobic bigot when I listend to her speech. (She justifiably should be haunted by it.) On the other hand, why does that prevent me from ignoring *all* political considerations and just enjoy the exuberance of the rhetorical display?

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Oct 9, 2012 8:26:36 PM

24. For all of you who criticize Obama, be thankful you don't live in Australia where the choice for Prime Minister is between two homophobes.

Posted by: Ken | Oct 9, 2012 9:45:19 PM

25. I loathe Julia Gillard.

Posted by: peterparker | Oct 9, 2012 10:03:44 PM