2012 Election | Mitt Romney | Mormon | News

Inside a Nutty Secret Mormon Temple Ritual (aka Mitt Romney Believes This): VIDEO

Mormon

A hidden camera video purportedly shot inside a secret Mormon Temple ceremony and meant to expose some of the nutty traditions of Mitt Romney's religion appears to be going viral via Reddit.

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

RomneyFor the first time in the 170+ year history of secret Mormon temple activity, those activities have been captured on film with a hidden camera.

Watch with your own eyes the sworn oath, known as the "Law of Consecration," that US Presidential candidate Mitt Romney has raised his arm to the square and vowed to obey, an oath that requires faithful Mormons to consecrate 100% of their current AND FUTURE time, talents and everything they will ever be blessed with, to the Mormon church and its goal to achieve a worldwide theocracy headed by Mormons.

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

In related news (via jmg), here's a truck sitting outside the site of tonight's presidential debate in Boca Raton:

Atheists

Comments

1. Seriously, anyone who has ANYTHING to do with the Morgommon church has a screw loose. The whole freakin' religion was started by a guy who had been thrown in jail numerous times for being a charlatan and side-show nut who robbed people and lied about it later. Then, when things were getting tight, he started this wacky religion. It's a bunch of B.S, but because it's been built into this mega-millions empire, people buy into it and believe this crap.

And it's not even 200 years old yet!

BTW, ALL disrespect intended. :-)

Posted by: johnny | Oct 22, 2012 2:40:33 PM

2. Dear little Miss Troll "AG" - this has nothing to do with the Obama campaign. Go f--k yourself.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Oct 22, 2012 2:40:44 PM

3. Though, if the video is a reflection of a certain highly intelligent portion of our population being terrified that a believer in such a flim-flammish cult could be elected president...it might have something to do with THE ELECTION...but is in no way endorsed by or a product of the Obama campaign.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Oct 22, 2012 2:44:11 PM

4. @Nathan:
    Um, it most certainly is accurate. I believe what you're doing is called "Lying for the Lord," another acceptable practice of Mormonism. As an ex-Mormon I can vouch for its authenticity, and as a gay man raised in Mormonism, I can also vouch that it was indeed harmful to myself and many others. Many others who would still be alive today had they not been raised in such an intolerant climate.

Posted by: B | Oct 22, 2012 2:53:25 PM

5. To quote the movie:
    "Go take crazy somewhere else; we're all stocked up here."

These people obviously have too much time on their hands.....and too much satin.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Oct 22, 2012 2:56:10 PM

6. @BC: Watch your argument: "millions of good honest people" used to believe blacks were second-class citizens according to the unchanging word of God. They proceeded to take action in the world appropriate to their religious views.

@Rev Chico UCC: Amen! Amen! Amen!

@Inscrutable Ted: Point taken. In the RCC, they're called "cafeteria Catholics". It is the extremely rare RC priest, however, who defies his bishop and church over a hot-button issue like LGBT rights. (Notice, moreover, what the Pope did to the US nuns.) I suspect the last gay-friendly RC bishop retired in 1991 and certainly would not be appointed today. Similarly, it would be odd for someone of rank in LDS not to believe all of what LDS teaches. Continue reading the next comment...

@Little Kiwi: A liberal (!) LDS blog got into trouble for not blindly supporting Romney - particularly with a post showing how LDS is not Christianity. At least one person feared he was in danger of excommunication.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Oct 22, 2012 3:12:58 PM

7. @5:26 - OH, so that's how the GloryHole was invented!!!

Posted by: Stephen | Oct 22, 2012 3:21:05 PM

8. How come you didn't bring this when Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid was running for election? You know he's Mormon, right?

Posted by: anon | Oct 22, 2012 3:34:04 PM

9. As a former faithful member in good standing, which means I attended the temple regularly to perform these ordinances as proxy, not ONCE was this archaic "Oath of Vengeance " ever mentioned, performed or even taught. I have experienced many things over my life to put me at odds with the LDS leadership and I am no more Romney supporter than Obama is, but this is taken completely out of contex, a different time period in the churches history and I find it in poor taste that you, Andy, would lower your reporting standards that rival that of the Tea Party.
    And unless you have first hand knowledge of and have been a member of tue LDS Church, not just readabout it or have a neighbor whose brothers sister is a scorned ex member, you have no authority to speak on the subject of what they consider to be sacred.

Posted by: RytheGuySLC | Oct 22, 2012 3:44:44 PM

10. Does anyone know if the video is real or a staged hit piece? (I'm asking because it seems to have come out just before a presidential election and a lot of people don't want Romney elected for good reasons.) The way to check is to ask some respected ex-Mormons who have shown enough integrity to be trusted to state whether it is accurate or not.

For example, I once saw a play about a gay Mormon who was ex-communicated (put on by a guy who was) and after the performance, I asked him if the ex-communication scene in Latter Days was realistic. He said it wasn't - the ritual and/or setting was quite different. There are lots of reasons to make it different in a film - cost of a set, not knowing the details but having to show something, scene-length constraints, etc.

Posted by: Bill | Oct 22, 2012 3:53:24 PM

11. I call on Nathan to put a face to his comments so we can know exactly who this temple-attending Mormon is.

also, how many gay family members do you have?

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Oct 22, 2012 3:54:11 PM

12. Regarding Clint's comments - while I'm not a mason, I sort of recognized the Masonic reference due to being familiar with Mozart's opera The Magic Flute. My guess is that (to the extent the video is accurate, which IMHO still has to be determined), Joseph Smith and/or others probably just ripped off a few Masonic traditions, primarily because that is a lot easier than making it all up from scratch, but also because it is easier to gauge audience appeal if you've seen it work elsewhere. You know, just like Hollywood movies recycling whatever worked previously in terms of box-office sales.

Posted by: Bill | Oct 22, 2012 4:07:32 PM

13. I HAVE to interviene here ,NOW! You can hate the mormons or Romney or whatever but this is FALSE and I have to stand against this lie. That whole statement from the video is a lie and fabricated. That statement is NOT said in the temples. I was just at one(there are over 100) Friday night.Again, hate what you want but this video is false and someone has got to say it. There is no oath like that, no oath of vegence.

Posted by: Amy | Oct 22, 2012 4:25:05 PM

14. The secret handshake makes them exponentially cliquish. Their "I know something you don't" smug attitude wears out its welcome quickly. It's the same smugness you see on Romney's face all the time.

I left the crutch behind at 17 years old, more than half my age ago. It was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Posted by: Sean in Dallas | Oct 22, 2012 4:35:23 PM

15. @Nil: The creator of Battlestar Galactica (the original) is a Mormon and Kobol was definitely a Mormon reference.

As for religious intolerance, well, yes, all religions are based in superstition and are, therefore, indefensible by definition. I am convinced, however, that Mormonism is a parody of the older religions. The charlatanism is too obvious, the excesses too great, the rituals too transparent.

Posted by: jd | Oct 22, 2012 4:45:45 PM

16. Amy, put a face to your comments and I'll take you seriously. you can record it and put it on youtube. THANKS!

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Oct 22, 2012 4:46:03 PM

17. I see the Mormons are even defending themselves here, on gay chat boards, which is ironic, when you consider how little they rate us otherwise. This bizarre video must cut a little too close.

Posted by: ryan | Oct 22, 2012 5:14:06 PM

18. And how is this worse than any of the crap spewed by Rev. Jeremiah Wright, Obama's pastor of many years?

Posted by: Steve | Oct 22, 2012 5:14:45 PM

19. I'm sure it's too late for this comment, but there's a lot of confusion about the oath of vengeance thing. It's clear if you watch the video that it says the oath of vengeance is no longer a part of the temple ceremony. So the video seems to be authentic, but towleroad as usual pushed the limit with the screen cap, which is definitely misleading.

Posted by: Brian | Oct 22, 2012 5:16:45 PM

20. Awwww, are the Mormons getting their feelings hurt because they feel they're being mischaracterized and lied about? Well you sure don't give a f*ck when you have done and STILL do it to gays, so cry me a freaking river.

Posted by: Caliban | Oct 22, 2012 5:22:52 PM

21. It's not that it's worse than anything Jeremiah Wright said. It's that it's creepy as all hell.

Mormons believe that "as man is, god once was, and that as god is man may be:" you can become god of a planet populated by your own humans, on whom you apparently get to inflict disease and pestilence, all as some sort of cruel weeding-out process to see who loves you the most.

Bizarre, if not a little sociopathic.

If you're an all-knowing god, shouldn't you be prescient enough to tell who's on your team without all the weirdness?

Posted by: Sean in Dallas | Oct 22, 2012 6:17:42 PM

22. I sent this to a friend who was a Mormon for several years and it is 100% true.

Posted by: Jake | Oct 22, 2012 6:25:38 PM

23. All religions are creepy and people with a shred of common sense would not believe the nonsense...Judeo Christian- a talking snake? Also, you must believe that incest is cool as how did Adam and Eve's children make children?

Posted by: TJ | Oct 22, 2012 6:52:45 PM

24. This is SO AWESOMELY WEIRD that I have new respect for the LDS religion. Not really the beliefs themselves, but for the fact that it is so spooky and they've kept so much of it hidden. Just so very strange.

Posted by: Yeek | Oct 22, 2012 7:06:02 PM

25. What's really creepy is that if you do believe in God, it's insulting to think that he has some secret handshake that you need to get into heaven. Mormonism didn't exist until the 19th century, so I guess that means no one got to heaven before them.

IT's just a cult, and not very different from other cults or religions. People believe what they want to believe, and I have no problem with that. I have a problem with people who take it SERIOUSLY and think that their eternal life afterwards is dependant upon a few pointless rituals.

Posted by: Randy | Oct 22, 2012 7:09:21 PM