Evangelical Christians | Evangelicals | News | The View

Timothy Kurek, the Christian Who Pretended to Be Gay for a Year, Appears on 'The View': VIDEO

View_kurek

Last week I posted about Timothy Kurek, the man who grew up a devout anti-gay Evangelical, and, after a friend confessed to him that her family had disowned her for being gay, felt such guilt that he decided to live as a gay man for a year to seek empathy.

Kurek appeared on The View today to talk about the book he wrote about his experience.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. i'm not going to debate with the embittered, but then, i am old enough to remember how scathing the reactions were to "gentlemen's agreement" and "black like me" were. count me in the plus column. i think this will be seminal among born again young christians

Posted by: bandanajack | Oct 17, 2012 3:31:06 AM

2. What bothers me is that a straight guy acting gay for a year to reveal what its like to be gay get publicity. Many gay guys act straight their whole lives in a closet because THEY KNOW the pain they feel for being discriminated against. You don't need a straight guy to explain bullying. Just ask gay guys who hid in the closet for a while. He's not providing any new information, but saying that the info coming from a straight person must be more valid.

Posted by: juan | Oct 17, 2012 6:10:41 AM

3. This just means that everything Queer is to be decided on by straight people, for straight people, because heterosexuality describes the scope of the people having this conversation. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't see any gay people at the table.

Posted by: PostPonyPhase | Oct 17, 2012 6:46:47 AM

4. @ Juan: "but saying that the info coming from a straight person must be more valid."

It's sad but probably true that for most none-gay people, and especially those that might not be very supportive of us, any information about the hardship and discrimination gay people face every day is more valid and relevant if it comes from a straight person. Someone who is "like them", but has gotten an insight into the "gay world." There is no way that Kurek's Evangelical brothers and sisters in faith would ever even consider listening to gay people tell their stories, let alone put themselves in their position. But they might listen to Kurek, who is "one of them", but brings them a story from the other side.

Posted by: Lee | Oct 17, 2012 6:59:25 AM

5. So it's real news that it can be hard being gay. In other news, the sky is blue.

Posted by: Paul R | Oct 17, 2012 7:34:41 AM

6. Barbara, don't be stupid, New York is FAR from being without homophobia and discrimination against gay people. Their are thousands of closeted gays in New York and gay people NO WHERE in New York, not even in Chelsea, feel completely free to express affection in public with the same ease as straight people.

Just because New York isn't as bad as Nashville doesn't mean that it still isn't bad compared to the way heterosexuals live.

Very ignorant statement from a person who should know better.

I actually applaud this man for what he did. His book will reach people that we never could. I'm VERY surprised by some of the negative reactions here but I probably shouldn't be.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Oct 17, 2012 8:46:55 AM

7. This was a muddled mess. I guess that's because he is not a very clear thinker.

Posted by: Jim | Oct 17, 2012 10:29:19 AM

8. Maybe I should write a book on how I had to pretend to be str8 all the years of growing up...lol

Posted by: Johnny | Oct 17, 2012 12:04:30 PM

9. perhaps, actually, if more of you DID put a face and name to what your experiences have been as gay people in an anti-gay world then there'd be no need for a Straight Impostor to do it.

talk about the pain. talk about the way you felt alone. be honest and upfront, to everyone in your community and your family's community, about the fear that kept you closeted. about the reactions, all reactions, when you finally came out.

seriously. share your story. if more of you did then there wouldn't be any worth to this straight man doing it. as is, many of YOU continue to give excuses to not share your story, to any real capacity.

until you're ready to stand up to be counted yourself it just seems odd to be so angry about a man who tried to walk in your shoes and share "your possible story" with others.

represent yourselves.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Oct 17, 2012 12:23:52 PM

10. @stillmarriedinca:

I presume from your username that you feel love for someone, likely your husband, and that you're gay. If those assumptions are correct, then you can't be an atheist. Why?
    Because God IS love. When you finally admit that He loves you too, and unconditionally, you will be blessed and on your way to being saved.

Posted by: Paul in Honolulu | Oct 17, 2012 2:38:58 PM

11. Wow, I'm sure because I've seen comments in the past, but I'm sure if he was a better looking man, you wouldn't be so harsh... I don't understand... At lease he had tried to make us look better in front of the bible thumpers... Get a grip.

Posted by: SinPhilly | Oct 17, 2012 5:54:39 PM

12. Paul, that is incredibly condescending of you to tell someone they can't be an atheist. I am an atheist. I am gay, and married. You do NOT get to tell me what I believe.

Posted by: Mousie | Oct 17, 2012 8:29:13 PM

13. Fear god 4 he is ur lord and savior.not friend and savior.he does not hate gays,he plainly states he will turn his backside and not answer thier prayers.it is a great sin and that is also stated in our 2000yr old bible.blasphemy of the lord and his word angers him more for thats not balance its destruction the devils venom as one of u said earlier.a gay church, ur not reading my bible or u would know this.

Posted by: neel thomp | Oct 19, 2012 3:36:45 PM

14. I like what he did. Yeah, the world's an imperfect place and it's hard to make EVERYONE happy...but it's not like he's saying he suddenly deserves to be Grand Marshal of some pride parade, somewhere. He changed his thinking, he changed his family's thinking...GOOD. What's the problem??

Posted by: Carpool_Kathleen | Oct 21, 2012 10:29:03 PM

15. Of course he had to PRETEND TO BE GAY, whatever that entails. I had to wear fake boobs for a year to better understand misogyny.

Posted by: Lance | Nov 19, 2012 5:08:47 PM