Catholic Church | Gay Marriage | Minneapolis | Minnesota | News

BigGayDeal.com

Minneapolis Archbishop John Nienstedt Told Mother: Reject Your Gay Son or Burn in Hell

Nienstedt

Saint Paul and Minneapolis Archbishop John Nienstedt, the guy who spearheaded a mass mailing in 2010 of 400,000 anti-gay DVDs, and created a special "marriage prayer" which he asked the state's Catholics to recite during Mass in an effort to create support for the anti-gay amendment on Minnesota's ballot in November, also told the mother of a gay son that she should reject him or risk burning in hell, according to a recently-surfaced letter.

NienstedtWrote Nienstedt:

I write to inform you that the teaching of the Catholic Church on homosexuality,a s described in paragraphs 2357 and 2358 and 2359  of the Catechism of the Catholic Church is rooted in Scripture and based on the Natural Moral Law. It, therefore, shares in God’s revelation to us. Catholics are bound in conscience to believe this teaching. Those who do not cannot consider themselves to be Catholic and ought not to participate in the sacramental life of the Church.

Indeed, some might find this is a hard saying by many of Jesus’ teachings were likewise received as such. I urge you to reconsider the position that you expressed in your letter. Your eternal salvation may well depend upon a conversation of heart on this topic.

Comments

1. Yupp - I'm talking about the US. Honestly, start volunteering at a youth support line. You'll here a whole lot of "I come from a very Catholic family". Lord knows I did.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Oct 9, 2012 3:23:08 PM

2. the Catholic Church is a theology in decline. They continue to play second bananna/stooge to the Evangelicals & Mormons.
    The Catholic Church makes it very difficult for someone to request voluntary excommunication. Were it easier, I expect many people would do so as a form of protest.

Posted by: mikeflower | Oct 9, 2012 3:24:06 PM

3. rooted in Scripture and based on the Natural Moral Law.

well the root must be rotted and replace with a new planted idea so people can move forward instead of just standing still while the sun passes you bye giving the church only what it needs. you need more then just gods word to grow and move forward, other then the natural more like man made moral laws to grow in a certain way but not your own. id say get your head out of the dirt and look at what your missing if you just stay where you are you might get left behind.

Posted by: albertam | Oct 9, 2012 3:24:49 PM

4. Here we go AGAIN with misleading headlines. He absolutely did not say the words "burn in Hell" in the letter. I know it's implied, but come on. What is happening to this site lately?!

Posted by: AJ | Oct 9, 2012 3:24:57 PM

5. CALIBAN: If you believe your religion gives you The Truth, then it's not a choice like Starbucks vs Peet's.

Posted by: Guest | Oct 9, 2012 3:26:17 PM

6. Caliban : So many of us were raised in the tribal Catholic-versus-Protestant thing, so it hits deep when one tries to make the actual conversion to Episcopal. One can feel like a turncoat. Very primitive, I know, but.....the fault of both Catholics and Protestants over all those years for pressing that into us. Personally I think it's time, to keep intellect and civilization alive, for everyone to leave Catholicism (whether it's for a Protestant church, other Christian church, Eastern religion, or no religion at all).

Posted by: Yupp | Oct 9, 2012 3:26:28 PM

7. Kiwi : We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

Posted by: Yupp | Oct 9, 2012 3:27:45 PM

8. Because, AJ, there is no need for anyone else to PUSSYFOOT around the issue just because he did! Did he come out and say she's going to "burn in hell"? No. Do his words mean EXACTLY that? YES!

So what's your f*cking problem?!

Posted by: Caliban | Oct 9, 2012 3:28:29 PM

9. i didn't know the catholic church teaches us bout homosexually. My eternal salvation may well depend upon a conversation of heart on this topic well id better ready for this ride to hell or figuratively speaking of hell. doest the church teach us that we have free will...also. maybe we are here to teach you preachy people bout life other then your traditionally values. there is more to life.

Posted by: albertam | Oct 9, 2012 3:32:33 PM

10. Only God will judge us.

Posted by: Jack M | Oct 9, 2012 3:33:06 PM

11. By my estimates 100% of Catholics cannot consider themselves Catholics and ought not to participate in the sacramental life of the Church.

Posted by: Patrick | Oct 9, 2012 3:39:57 PM

12. Unlike the Catholic Church, homosexuals have existed as long as mankind has existed and wherever mankind has existed. The Catholic church will either evolve on this issue or it will cease to have any influence in developed nations. I'm hoping for the latter.

Posted by: rayrayj | Oct 9, 2012 3:44:23 PM

13. Actually, I found the archbishop's letter very informative. There must have been people like him nearly 2000 years ago. No wonder Nero fed them to the lions!

Posted by: Bill | Oct 9, 2012 3:47:38 PM

14. Let's all grow up and put aside the "rising from the dead lark", "the water into wine", turning bread and wine into "body and blood" and the flying of bodies into the sky, as in the ascension and the assumption and the casting out of demons.

My eternal salvation does not depend of the hate filled gibberish of this farcical excuse for a holy man.

There is no compassion or love left in the church particularly when it comes to gays; remember not so long ago when they were supposed to love us but hate our sin?
    Well all that hypocritical $**t is gone out the window, this mother is now being told not to love her son;
    The Church never meant that we should be loved, and our sin hated; that was yet another ecclesiastical obfuscation.

Now all that's left is a deranged scramble for what little power or influence they have left over the older generation.
    The younger generation recognise them for what they are........hate filled old bigots still threatening mothers and women.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Oct 9, 2012 3:50:47 PM

15. It's somewhat consistent with Catholic teaching, but not really. Actual beliefs are not subject to scrutiny in the Catholic faith, unlike Protestant theology, only the sacraments. You can be barred from the sacraments for sins, but unless they are unforgivable sins (the seven deadly sins is a start), you can receive absolution and return to the faith after penance. So, the AB is mostly wrong. In fact, lay Catholics are not supposed to "know" theology or assume they know it, which makes mistakes entirely forgivable.

Posted by: anon | Oct 9, 2012 3:52:02 PM

16. Catholic, Protestant, Roman Catholic.....are you guys serious ?

Go live in Belfast, Northern Ireland and see your sophistry lived on a daily basis....see your fine distinctions and their consequences.

What a load of $hit.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Oct 9, 2012 3:55:33 PM

17. And what was the mother's response to his letter?

Posted by: Anonymous | Oct 9, 2012 4:16:26 PM

18. Jack : Whether ANY religion makes ANY sense at all is like....another subject entirely. I understand what you're saying, but I still think those of us who want to consider being part of a religion can debate the Protestant versus Catholic thing (even though, to you, it's like discussing who is stronger : Merlin or Harry Potter ?).

Posted by: Yupp | Oct 9, 2012 4:17:19 PM

19. @Chris-I'm Jewish and don't completely understand Christian terminology. I thought the phrase "burn in hell" was actually used in the letter.

Posted by: Perry | Oct 9, 2012 4:19:52 PM

20. Why are you guys bitching about how he didn't say the exact words "burn in hell?" I'm not even Catholic and even I understood what the guy meant in his letter.

"Your eternal salvation may well depend..." = burning in hell.

5Gs!

Posted by: Latrice Royale Jr. | Oct 9, 2012 4:42:26 PM

21. Amazing that he took time out of his busy schedule of (covering up, ahem, ahem) child rape to pen that letter...

Posted by: Mark Alexander | Oct 9, 2012 4:45:07 PM

22. I could be wrong but I seem to remember something the Pope released about how gay people don't go to Hell?? It might have been the last Pope.. I remember my grandmother cutting it out of the newspaper.. rolls eyes.

Posted by: NeverEclipsed81 | Oct 9, 2012 4:49:08 PM

23. If I got a letter like that I'd frame it and hang it in the hall. A badge of honor to have ticked off his majesty to the point of his taking pen to paper for a personal rebuke.

Posted by: i could go on, but I won't | Oct 9, 2012 4:49:23 PM

24. A second thought: A letter like that should be written on flash paper so that a few minutes after exposure to air it burst into flames. Now THAT would really scare the bejeezus out of a believer.

It's all about showmanship.

Posted by: i could go on, but I won't | Oct 9, 2012 4:52:29 PM

25. Someone like this bishop pronouncing on anyone's "salvation"......

Am I the only one speechless with incandescent fury ?

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Oct 9, 2012 5:05:02 PM