Catholic Church | Gay Marriage | Minneapolis | Minnesota | News

Minneapolis Archbishop John Nienstedt Told Mother: Reject Your Gay Son or Burn in Hell

Nienstedt

Saint Paul and Minneapolis Archbishop John Nienstedt, the guy who spearheaded a mass mailing in 2010 of 400,000 anti-gay DVDs, and created a special "marriage prayer" which he asked the state's Catholics to recite during Mass in an effort to create support for the anti-gay amendment on Minnesota's ballot in November, also told the mother of a gay son that she should reject him or risk burning in hell, according to a recently-surfaced letter.

NienstedtWrote Nienstedt:

I write to inform you that the teaching of the Catholic Church on homosexuality,a s described in paragraphs 2357 and 2358 and 2359  of the Catechism of the Catholic Church is rooted in Scripture and based on the Natural Moral Law. It, therefore, shares in God’s revelation to us. Catholics are bound in conscience to believe this teaching. Those who do not cannot consider themselves to be Catholic and ought not to participate in the sacramental life of the Church.

Indeed, some might find this is a hard saying by many of Jesus’ teachings were likewise received as such. I urge you to reconsider the position that you expressed in your letter. Your eternal salvation may well depend upon a conversation of heart on this topic.

Comments

1. I said the same thing Kluwe said, but that Gay Protestant "JJ" started yelling at me. Will he criticize Kluwe? It all depends on Kluwe's religion/ethnicity/lineage.

Posted by: Yupp | Oct 10, 2012 3:09:10 AM

2. What about the question Paul asked Jesus? You know, which is the most important of the Ten Commandments? Jesus replied, love God my Father with all your heart, soul and mind (or words to that effect). Jesus went on to say the second most important Commandment is to (here it is, read carefully) LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOU LOVE MY FATHER. That's it. The end, no exclusion of gay people. EVERYONE means EVERYONE. I have been attending Mass nearly all my life, very involved in my church, and never have I seen Paragraph whatever in Church teachings. When I first saw the word "paragraph", I thought he was going to quote "Paragraph 185", in which Nazi Germany outlaws homosexuality. My, amazing how similar these two are...how very sad a leader of the church cannot recognize the teachings of Jesus Christ. You may be an Archbishop, but you sure ain't God. You are a mere mortal, and your soul, sir, will be doomed unless YOU have a change of heart and a change of hate. You may be Archbishop, but apparently, you do not have Jesus in your heart. You cannot have Jesus in your heart as long as you harbor so much hatred.

Posted by: millerbeach | Oct 10, 2012 3:50:32 AM

3. He looks SO gay

Posted by: phil | Oct 10, 2012 4:27:06 AM

4. @Phil: "He looks So gay". Is that a bad thing?

Posted by: andrew | Oct 10, 2012 4:30:59 AM

5. @Jason: "He has a classic gay face". Please explain what a classic gay face looks like?

Posted by: andrew | Oct 10, 2012 4:35:42 AM

6. @ Stefan, your own rational realizations should now enable you to reject the indoctrination and the brainwashing. I tried to do the extreme opposite by joining a Benedictine abbey, and it served as the jolt I needed to finally extricate myself. It was hard, but you must try!

Posted by: The Inveterate Lurker | Oct 10, 2012 6:09:05 AM

7. Final line should read "CONVERSION of heart." Damned MS Word autocorrect.

Posted by: Paul | Oct 10, 2012 10:03:36 AM

8. Why doesn't he just tell her to send her son into the priesthood like his mommy did?

Posted by: ScRiMac | Oct 10, 2012 10:18:07 AM

9. Yupp is 100% correct. VERY few American Catholics take archaic church teachings seriously. There is really no Catholic parallel to Evangelical pentecostal Protestantism. This is also true not just of young Catholics.

Posted by: ratbastard | Oct 10, 2012 10:25:38 AM

10. Catholicism outside North America, especially in 3rd world countries and even many Spanish speaking and influenced countries, tends to be far more rigid and conservative than American Catholicism, and many of the people in these places likewise tend to be very socially conservative regarding stuff like homosexuality.

@JackFNTwist,

I know Ireland of course use to be like what I described above, as did other European countries like Italy, Spain, Portugal, etc., But I'm assuming this is really no longer the case. Am I assuming wrong?

Posted by: ratbastard | Oct 10, 2012 10:32:07 AM

11. "They [homosexual persons] must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided."

Who was it who floated the idea that people who were claiming rights which weren't appropriately theirs shouldn't be surprised when they are the target of violence?

Shall we say that this is the same person who just denied that People Like Us were not subject to "unjust discrimination"?

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Oct 10, 2012 10:59:06 AM

12. Dear Archie Bishop: please give us the exact chapter and verses where Jesus made pronouncements on homosexuality.

What's that, Archie? Huh? What? I can't hear you! Oh!

Yes, Archie, that's right! Jesus H. Christ, Son O'God, said nothing about homosexuality. Absolutely nothing.

Now, Archie, please sit down and shut up.

Thank you.

Posted by: jamal49 | Oct 10, 2012 12:39:16 PM

13. @Caliban, the Episcopal church has some of the same entrenched biases as does the Catholic, it's just not handed down from on high (via the Pope), but instead reflects privilege inherent in society.

Posted by: brassyskts | Oct 10, 2012 2:44:10 PM

14. @several: I would hope that the "Faux News" style headline is based on two pieces of evidence not linked to in this post: the bishop's op-ed piece and the mother's letter.

@Brassyskts: I much prefer dealing with "God's frozen chosen" and its theological openness than the "WE alone speak for God - WE can never even appear to be wrong" mentality of the Vatican (the Religious Right and the Mormons).

Posted by: Diogenes Arkots | Oct 14, 2012 1:57:36 PM

15. When one actually looks at the genuine message of truth, hope, love given in Scripture, it only makes Chris Kluwe's attacks seem only more baseless and saddening. http://calltoawareness.blogspot.com/2012/10/what-love-is-this-response-to-kluwe.html

Posted by: Eric Miller | Oct 16, 2012 10:02:43 PM