iPad | iPhone | towleroad

Announcing Towleroad for Mobile Devices: iPad, iPhone, Kindle

Ipad

If you're reaching the site on your iPhone or iPad you already know we're started automatically redirecting visits from these devices to new editions of Towleroad optimized for iOS devices and Kindle Fire.  (That's the front page of the iPad version below.)

If you haven't yet, it's time RIGHT NOW!

Open Safari on your iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch and type "towleroad.com" or our universal shortened version, "tlrd.com" in the URL bar and you'll be redirected. Be sure to save it to your home app page and share with friends.

Andy and i couldn't be more pleased to announce these new editions, along with an 'alpha' version for Android users, all of which are in response to significantly increasing demand from users. Last month more than 1 in every 5 visits to Towleroad was via a mobile device. And those 22% of visits accounted for 20% of all pageviews. The chart below shows the steady increase over the past 3 years.

The second chart showing that 81% of our mobile visits are on iOS devices should explain pretty clearly why we prioritized those editions.

But as mentioned, we're not leaving the increasing number of Android device users empty-handed. We have a slightly less polished edition, what I'd qualify as a alpha-level release, Towleroad's Google Currents edition -- which can be installed on either Android or iOS devices. So if you are part of the 17% or you're just not happy with the edition we're redirecting you to, you can get all the information and links needed to install for either Android or iOS devices, over at the Google Currents platform.

BvisitsBopersystems

What this all mean is that as of today,  we have some form of optimized edition for approximately 98% of your mobile visits ...or at least a running start at them...and that's 98% more visits than we were optimized for yesterday. Enjoy.

We will be including comments and access to comments shortly. You'll notice. Right now the comments icon is already in place at the bottom but is not clickable.

HERE ARE SOME INSTRUCTIVE LINKS if you need them:

> Getting Access on your Mobile Device.

> Basic Features and Navigation.

> How to Add an App Icon to Your Home Screen.

> Sharing Towleroad with Others (IMPORTANT).

> Towleroad on Google Currents.

Please do give it a try and let us know what you think what your ideas might be for making Towleroad better overall and what--if anything--we should tackle next.

Please leave us any constructive comments below. Substantial feedback, requests for direct support, and private messages are better sent through our comment form . Thanks again for your support and for your help with the beta.

Comments

1. For the love of Zeus, don't punt this to frigging iPads.

Posted by: Graham Anderson | Oct 13, 2012 6:37:39 PM

2. I can't figure out how to leave comments in the mobile version. Had to go to desktop to leave one...

Posted by: grench | Oct 13, 2012 6:41:50 PM

3. Got it.

Posted by: michael | Oct 13, 2012 6:45:06 PM

4. Comments are not enabled yet in the mobile version but they are coming very soon.

Posted by: Andy Towle | Oct 13, 2012 6:45:56 PM

5. I access the web version of the site through my android phone just fine, but will try the "alpha" version.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Oct 13, 2012 7:13:57 PM

6. Did you guys really test this out on an iPhone5?

Hitting the Safari back button only jumps to the previous towleroad post, and not the previous webpage, which doesn't make sense when you're just scrolling down the list of articles at the main page.

Also, if you didn't realize, when you tap the status bar (where the time is) it doesn't drop down the address/search bar. Plus it's supposed to jump to the top of the page.

Posted by: gus | Oct 13, 2012 7:14:38 PM

7. Google (and y'ain't gonna wanna hear this) *strongly* recommends *not* creating separate domain names for mobile devices. Bing backs them now on this as well.

Posted by: Randal Oulton | Oct 13, 2012 7:19:45 PM

8. Love it. I appreciate the one story per page format that I can sweep aside for the next one. Just add the comments and I am a happy camper.

Posted by: Matte | Oct 13, 2012 7:23:58 PM

9. I use an iPad and prefer the desktop version but I am forced to select this every time I visit the site. Very annoying.

Posted by: MikeBoston | Oct 13, 2012 7:27:47 PM

10. What's wrong with using the standard, desktop version of the site? It works just fine on my iPad and Android phones. I don't want a customized version... that's the problem with ipads, not the solution!

Posted by: jack | Oct 13, 2012 7:31:06 PM

11. http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2011/07/android-top-os-in-us-but-apple-iphone-is-most-popular-phone.html

Posted by: Matt | Oct 13, 2012 7:32:20 PM

12. Michael,. I dislike this change. I am perfectly happy reading towleroad the way it is published main site. Please remove the auto-redirect and let me read the way I wish. Or at least ask me which way I wish to read and set a cookie. I hate "optimized" websites. They always seem "less than" the real thing. I also intensely dislike the loss of black "white space"

This seems like a change no one asked for... Like "clipping" in MS Office...

Posted by: Jeff flexer | Oct 13, 2012 7:34:24 PM

13. Pffft. I meant Andy. (Where did Michael come from...)

Posted by: Jeff flexer | Oct 13, 2012 7:35:22 PM

14. Please let us choose whether to use the original version of Towleroad or this new version. I already miss the original. I much prefer being able to look at the entire webpage and choosing what I would like to read, as opposed to having to flip through each individual story/news item. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Posted by: Lee Adams | Oct 13, 2012 8:04:58 PM

15. Are we talking about an app, or a mobile web site? Please let it be a mobile web site.

Posted by: Randy | Oct 13, 2012 8:18:58 PM

16. Thankfully my BlackBerry PlayBook does a great job with the website without the need for an app.

Posted by: Randy | Oct 13, 2012 8:31:59 PM

17. In wild agreement with the "Let me choose how I view this site on the iPad" contingent. If this doesn't change, I'll stop looking at Towleroad on the iPad.

Posted by: Sam Chill | Oct 13, 2012 8:52:49 PM

18. On the iPad towleroad version to the lower left corner there is button you can push and switch back to the main site.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Oct 13, 2012 8:54:51 PM

19. The only better thing about the mobile version is that you can easily scroll to older articles that were published days back. Much easier than the desktop version. Other than that I prefer the desktop version.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Oct 13, 2012 8:56:48 PM

20. Congrats on going mobile!
    I'm sorry to say it crashed several times on my iPod touch, even after I closed every other window, put it on my home screen, and restarted - had to go to the computer to go to towleroad. Good luck working out the kinks, and I too think that giving a choice would be good. Thanks for doing a wonderful job every day!

Posted by: Ari | Oct 13, 2012 8:59:25 PM

21. Looks great on my iPhone 5! Thank you! I love it.

Posted by: Larry | Oct 13, 2012 9:03:56 PM

22. layouts for specific devices are a horrible idea. Whomever talked you into thinking a different UI for iPad is a good idea in terms of usability and design wanted your money.. I have to learn my way around multiple designs depending on if I access with android phone, my iPod, iPad or laptop. Thank god you give the option to see the actual layout on my IPad! I hope it's sticky and that I don't have to switch from the buggy confusing iPad layout every time I visit with me iPad.

P.s. the form to submit a comment in the iPad version is broken and I couldn't submit on my iPad. Please kill that erosion and admit the horrible mistake ASAP...

Posted by: Anthony | Oct 13, 2012 9:04:32 PM

23. I read your site now through Flipboard for 2 reasons: 1) No ads and 2) Clean, fresher look. Your desktop site is why I installed the AdBlock extension for my browser.

iOS version looks littered with the ads. Other sites have launched mobile app versions to give readers more than just a headline when scrolling (a bit of a preview/teaser of the article). Hoping you do this soon.

Posted by: Eric | Oct 13, 2012 9:06:16 PM

24. I have to agree with Randy. My BlackBerry PlayBook renders the original Site just fine. One nice thing about being on a minority platform is that we're unlikely to get redirects.

Posted by: Stevd | Oct 13, 2012 9:27:04 PM

25. I have to agree with Randy. My BlackBerry PlayBook renders the original Site just fine. One nice thing about being on a minority platform is that we're unlikely to get redirects.

Posted by: Stevd | Oct 13, 2012 9:27:05 PM