iPad | iPhone | towleroad

Announcing Towleroad for Mobile Devices: iPad, iPhone, Kindle

Ipad

If you're reaching the site on your iPhone or iPad you already know we're started automatically redirecting visits from these devices to new editions of Towleroad optimized for iOS devices and Kindle Fire.  (That's the front page of the iPad version below.)

If you haven't yet, it's time RIGHT NOW!

Open Safari on your iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch and type "towleroad.com" or our universal shortened version, "tlrd.com" in the URL bar and you'll be redirected. Be sure to save it to your home app page and share with friends.

Andy and i couldn't be more pleased to announce these new editions, along with an 'alpha' version for Android users, all of which are in response to significantly increasing demand from users. Last month more than 1 in every 5 visits to Towleroad was via a mobile device. And those 22% of visits accounted for 20% of all pageviews. The chart below shows the steady increase over the past 3 years.

The second chart showing that 81% of our mobile visits are on iOS devices should explain pretty clearly why we prioritized those editions.

But as mentioned, we're not leaving the increasing number of Android device users empty-handed. We have a slightly less polished edition, what I'd qualify as a alpha-level release, Towleroad's Google Currents edition -- which can be installed on either Android or iOS devices. So if you are part of the 17% or you're just not happy with the edition we're redirecting you to, you can get all the information and links needed to install for either Android or iOS devices, over at the Google Currents platform.

BvisitsBopersystems

What this all mean is that as of today,  we have some form of optimized edition for approximately 98% of your mobile visits ...or at least a running start at them...and that's 98% more visits than we were optimized for yesterday. Enjoy.

We will be including comments and access to comments shortly. You'll notice. Right now the comments icon is already in place at the bottom but is not clickable.

HERE ARE SOME INSTRUCTIVE LINKS if you need them:

> Getting Access on your Mobile Device.

> Basic Features and Navigation.

> How to Add an App Icon to Your Home Screen.

> Sharing Towleroad with Others (IMPORTANT).

> Towleroad on Google Currents.

Please do give it a try and let us know what you think what your ideas might be for making Towleroad better overall and what--if anything--we should tackle next.

Please leave us any constructive comments below. Substantial feedback, requests for direct support, and private messages are better sent through our comment form . Thanks again for your support and for your help with the beta.

Comments

1. I like the mobile version. Easier to use on the iPhone. I do like the idea of giving folks a choice of versions, though.

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Oct 13, 2012 9:30:50 PM

2. Sorry, but I really dislike this layout and am very frustrated with the automatic redirect on my iPad. Having to manually navigate screens just to get back to desk top version is beyond annoying. Boo!
    Please disable the auto direct.

Posted by: Jld | Oct 13, 2012 9:31:03 PM

3. Didn't ask for it, don't like it, removing Towleroad from my iPhone bookmarks.

Thanks for the good intentions, but mandatory mobile versions are really offensive.

Posted by: Demian | Oct 13, 2012 9:33:28 PM

4. Woot! Give it about a year or two and probably half the readers will be through mobile. What a crazy world we live in... who would have thought we'd see the death of the PC as the primary method of personal computing?

Posted by: Ryan | Oct 13, 2012 9:54:25 PM

5. Have to say, I hate what it does to your aggregated NEWS posts with numerous bullets leading to other sites. I don't like the swipe back and forth thing either. What if I know there's a post I wanted to get to from earlier in the day? I may have to swipe 20 times before I get to it, whereas the desktop layout has the index at the bottom that I can click to directly. Using the iPhone 5 by the way. I do see that you can easily get to the Desktop version and I'll be doing that regularly.

Nonetheless, I don't want to be a total Debbie Downer, or cranky old man screaming, "I hate change!" Mobile computing is the way of the future, so good luck working the kinks out. I'll keep checking back to find out when it becomes more user friendly.

Posted by: MrRoboto | Oct 13, 2012 10:17:37 PM

6. Please, please, please, at least give us choice! The iPad can display the website just fine. I hate the auto redirect. How about on the iPad if you use the app you get the new version but through Safari you get the old. I have never written a comment before but this forced change really pisses me off. Love the site.

Posted by: Jack | Oct 13, 2012 10:19:06 PM

7. Looks good on my iphone 5 but I'll continue with the desktop version until comments are enabled.

Posted by: Craig | Oct 13, 2012 10:29:09 PM

8. Put a "open regular site" button on the mobile version. Better websites do this so that when things are broken/annoying about the mobile version there's a way to get away from the auto-redirect.

Posted by: unruly | Oct 13, 2012 10:31:03 PM

9. Back in olden days, we had a saying that no one even bothered saying: "If it ain't broke, don't break it."

The current format works fine on iPads and iPhones. The new format is buggy, and to tell the truth, unfriendly. And the response time is unacceptable. Look closely--the experience with the new UI requires more of a time commitment.

I'm hopeful that the fact that I chose the normal experience has set a cookie so that I don't have to waste my time with the mobile version.

Posted by: Steveinde | Oct 13, 2012 10:40:50 PM

10. Sorry I haven't read the comments yet, I'll back track. I had to access the site with Yahoo Axis rather than my beloved Opera Mobile. Yes, I'm an Opera Queen. Your site always gives my Opera fits. I am currently looking for a fix to force the full site to come up, because I feel mobile sites suck donkey balls, since much of the content is usually left off. Automatic redirecting without a choice is bad form.

Posted by: Scooter | Oct 13, 2012 10:48:48 PM

11. "In wild agreement with the "Let me choose how I view this site on the iPad" contingent. If this doesn't change, I'll stop looking at Towleroad on the iPad." - Sam Chill

I'm in wild agreement with Sam Chill.
    New version for mobile devices is a nightmare. I will now only be able to view Towleroad on my laptop unless you give me the choice to opt out of the new version on my iPhone.

Very disappointing.

Posted by: RMR | Oct 13, 2012 11:20:12 PM

12. The main site would be fine on iPhone or android if it didn't load javascript and other content from TWENTY-THREE different domains! That's at least 23 TCP connections just to load the main page--more if the scripts request URLs in parallel, which certainly happens.

All of this is because of the ads and other widgets employed on the site. I love the content, but the poor performance will eventually drive me away.

Posted by: JD | Oct 13, 2012 11:27:09 PM

13. Long-time user. I would prefer the desktop version on my ipad. Abhor the new ipad interface This new version looks like Huffington Post -- you can't even read the whole headline without clicking on the post.

If you make your site difficult to read, we won't read it.

Not a good way to get overview of your content.

But android version would be nice!

Posted by: Tom | Oct 13, 2012 11:35:13 PM

14. I think I make up that 1% on the Windows Phone Mobile. Haha.

Posted by: Chris | Oct 13, 2012 11:41:33 PM

15. I've complained bitterly about this new mobile app and the fact that it has been forced on mobile visitors. I use my iPad proably 50% of the day and was sorely disappointed when this was shoved down my throat. We should have the option for the app or the web browser version. It just means I won't be visiting Towleroad that often (but maybe that's what Andy is hoping for....)

Posted by: OS2Guy | Oct 14, 2012 12:01:38 AM

16. Thank you thank you thank you!

Posted by: Louis | Oct 14, 2012 12:21:26 AM

17. How do I avoid the redirect? I'd prefer to see the site as I'm viewing it right NOW on my iMac browser - only on my iPad.

You need to offer that option. I've been a Towleroad devotee for years now, I don't want to ditch you guys as my gay news source over this.

Posted by: John | Oct 14, 2012 12:27:48 AM

18. Ug. I prefer to read original site on my pad.

Mobile version is too brassy and inelegant (shouts too loud) compared to original.

Posted by: Wesley | Oct 14, 2012 1:01:06 AM

19. I prefer reading the original site on my iPad as well, and would like the option to toggle to it.

However, if you turned the optimized mobile site background to black, and added the quick list of headlines at the bottom, I might become a convert.

Posted by: UM FROM UMBRIDGE | Oct 14, 2012 2:22:47 AM

20. I knew something was going to be wrong when I saw "Please leave us any constructive comments below" -- which makes you look terrible.

Before reading the other comments, I intended to say "I will try the mobile app tomorrow -- I love your site, but it is BY FAR the most annoying I view on Android 4.0, lots of eternal loading and jumpiness."
    After reading the other comments, I think sitting tight awhile is better for me.

Posted by: Bob | Oct 14, 2012 4:13:27 AM

21. Because I had no other choice on the iPad to do so, I sent you an email earlier that is very similar to many comments here - I have been viewing your standard site on iPad for some time, and MUCH prefer it to this new "app" version. As an experienced Web developer, designer, and user experience expert, I am saddened to see yet another blog site fall victim to the notion that you need a separate site for mobile users. Like the recent change at Raw Story, your mobile version is harder to scan, and requires far more interaction that should be necessary to simply read a blog post. While your intentions were good, I'm afraid you've just degraded the user experience for many of your iPad users, rather than improved it. This was no doubt at some considerable expense to you, so as someone in the industry who knows what it's like to have something new highly criticized, I regret having to add to the misery. But at the very least, please add an option for users to CHOOSE to use the "mobile" site - and in the meantime, please look into using Responsive Design techniques to make your standard site accessible from virtually any device - at a fraction of the cost of separate sites.

Posted by: rhfactor | Oct 14, 2012 6:50:16 AM

22. Wow that a damning graph that shows the poor taste of Towleroad readers (iOS dominating).

Do us more discerning Android users a favour an DONT redirect us to the mobile site. If we want it we can set it to be mobilised by google, if we dont we can use the normal site, which works fine. Alternatively we can use an RSS widget on out homescreens which is far more efficient than an app.

Posted by: Rovex | Oct 14, 2012 6:58:25 AM

23. For what its worth i suspect you have many more Android hits than you think. Many of us force our phones to be desktop PC in the user string. It helps us avoid the dumbing down of the internet that the iOS devices have caused.

Any decent phone these days will have a 4.3 inch or bigger 720P screen and quad core CPU, we dont need mobile versions of websites.

Posted by: Rovex | Oct 14, 2012 7:13:39 AM

24. have not read all comments, and know full well taht many new innovations in technology r usually demonized orget negative reaction...

but, I have to say that this new site/app/mobile page is not my cup of tea... first and foremost, it has failed to carry over the signature of the old site (black ground, changing image in top bar, the ability to get some content before deciding on a full read or even if you'd want to comment, etc)...

second, it looks like CNN, white and red.... really? this new version is annoying, it forces more pageviews, and the snapping of the scroll is just plain useless and irritating... I finally found a way to switch back to the traditional site and hope it stays an option... I might have to find another place to get my news...

one last thing, I am only able to write this comment because I am in the old model... and so sorry you'd only want constructive criticism... keep in mind that negative comments can be constructive...

if this new version has to stay, due to investment, etc, here r some suggestions:

- change color scheme to recall traditional site
    - disable snapping scroll
    - instead of working with skinny rectangles, use squares for each story (2 at a time for vertical viewing and 3 for horizontal)and include the entire narrative in each box...
    - make the transition an option, and make the differences less noticeable...

good luck,

V.

Posted by: V-8 | Oct 14, 2012 8:19:32 AM

25. Looking at it on the iPad: What does the small-type drop down menu that alternates between "Posts" and "All" do? Both choices look the same.

Posted by: JeffNYC | Oct 14, 2012 8:58:52 AM