iPad | iPhone | towleroad

Announcing Towleroad for Mobile Devices: iPad, iPhone, Kindle

Ipad

If you're reaching the site on your iPhone or iPad you already know we're started automatically redirecting visits from these devices to new editions of Towleroad optimized for iOS devices and Kindle Fire.  (That's the front page of the iPad version below.)

If you haven't yet, it's time RIGHT NOW!

Open Safari on your iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch and type "towleroad.com" or our universal shortened version, "tlrd.com" in the URL bar and you'll be redirected. Be sure to save it to your home app page and share with friends.

Andy and i couldn't be more pleased to announce these new editions, along with an 'alpha' version for Android users, all of which are in response to significantly increasing demand from users. Last month more than 1 in every 5 visits to Towleroad was via a mobile device. And those 22% of visits accounted for 20% of all pageviews. The chart below shows the steady increase over the past 3 years.

The second chart showing that 81% of our mobile visits are on iOS devices should explain pretty clearly why we prioritized those editions.

But as mentioned, we're not leaving the increasing number of Android device users empty-handed. We have a slightly less polished edition, what I'd qualify as a alpha-level release, Towleroad's Google Currents edition -- which can be installed on either Android or iOS devices. So if you are part of the 17% or you're just not happy with the edition we're redirecting you to, you can get all the information and links needed to install for either Android or iOS devices, over at the Google Currents platform.

BvisitsBopersystems

What this all mean is that as of today,  we have some form of optimized edition for approximately 98% of your mobile visits ...or at least a running start at them...and that's 98% more visits than we were optimized for yesterday. Enjoy.

We will be including comments and access to comments shortly. You'll notice. Right now the comments icon is already in place at the bottom but is not clickable.

HERE ARE SOME INSTRUCTIVE LINKS if you need them:

> Getting Access on your Mobile Device.

> Basic Features and Navigation.

> How to Add an App Icon to Your Home Screen.

> Sharing Towleroad with Others (IMPORTANT).

> Towleroad on Google Currents.

Please do give it a try and let us know what you think what your ideas might be for making Towleroad better overall and what--if anything--we should tackle next.

Please leave us any constructive comments below. Substantial feedback, requests for direct support, and private messages are better sent through our comment form . Thanks again for your support and for your help with the beta.

Comments

1. I only look at towleroad on my iPhone. I've found a majority of touch and swipe, mobile-optimized sites to be less than intuitive. I think I'll continue to load the desktop version. The perma ads now in use on most mobile sites take up too much room on my iPhone screen (even using the 5). I'll take a static banner ad over little perma ads anyday. Look at the Bloomberg app for iOS -- the ad disappears after a moment to let you read the article in peace, popping up again at the bottom. Besides, I'm sure TL makes more money off the desktop version.

Posted by: Spraypaintedgold | Oct 14, 2012 9:57:49 AM

2. Android + ad blocking = best mobile internet experience. No need for mobile 'optimised' versions.

Posted by: Rovex | Oct 14, 2012 10:12:23 AM

3. In all seriousness (and easy target iOS bashing aside), its better to add Towleroad to google reader or just add the RSS feed and use a Google reader/RSS widget in Android. You get the headlines right on your homescreen and when you click them you go straight to the desktop site.

No need for silly web apps or web optimised versions.

Posted by: Rovex | Oct 14, 2012 10:24:32 AM

4. it loaded poorly on my ipod. i had to reload several times. personally i prefer the desktop version. for me its easier to scan through to my interests than it is to xcroll through 1 story at a time.
    i would really apppreciate it if the option to switch to desktop version were more immediate or better yet if i could just chhoose to go to the url i typed instead of being forcibly redirected. i know what site i want.
    towleroad is awesome. im glad you are invested in the site and trying to improve based on usage trends. my first impression is that it makes it more difficult to access content. sorry no shift keys on my laptop.

Posted by: shawn | Oct 14, 2012 11:03:29 AM

5. Where is the logic in paying for a device that more or less perfectly duplicates the desktop browsing experience only to have the websites you visit 'optimized'?
    Think about this... If the desktop version was so poorly designed, then it has to be that version that is changed, not some mutant form just for mobile users that don't need it.
    If our want to give your readers an App-like experience, then build the app and give us the choice. Until then, I want the desktop version as default.

Posted by: Azgaard | Oct 14, 2012 11:24:23 AM

6. Great you remembered us Droid user. I'm not a big fan of MAC stuff, especially the iPhone (well, with the exception of GWIP).

Posted by: jamal49 | Oct 14, 2012 11:37:42 AM

7. Looking forward to an Android version.

Posted by: Evan | Oct 14, 2012 12:35:16 PM

8. Android users do not need this mess, we do fine without this dumbing down of the internet.

Posted by: Rovex | Oct 14, 2012 12:38:14 PM

9. Yesterday I was repeatedly taken to the mobile version and had to select desktop each time I visited. Today my desktop preference has been remembered between visits. Maybe it was just a glitch on my end.

Posted by: Shawn | Oct 14, 2012 12:44:49 PM

10. I totally hate the iPad version. I wanted to search for an entry and had no idea how to do it. I tried to go to the web page but got redirected to the crappy iPad version over and over. Please let US decide where we're going! Love the original site. iPad version SUCKS!

Posted by: stu | Oct 14, 2012 2:24:17 PM

11. I look forward to the day when apple occupies the slice of the pie that blackberry currently does on this chart.

Posted by: Guest | Oct 14, 2012 2:47:36 PM

12. This is very, very exciting. I like to use my iPad to go through the email I get from Towleroad containing the headlines. This will be nice!

Once we get the comments it will be flawless.

Is there any plan to upgrade the comments section? Something with registration and a reminder when a comment we make is replied to?

Posted by: JAMES | Oct 14, 2012 6:44:11 PM

13. Please go back to the old format.......

Posted by: Mark | Oct 14, 2012 7:59:14 PM

14. Hate it, absolutely hate it. Fixed something that didn't need fixing. I had no problem navigating the site before, now if I want to read an article I have to scroll through every damned story, then when I click on it I end up with the wrong one. I won't be visiting Towleroad on my iPhone anymore.

You screwed the pooch with this "upgrade".

Posted by: Palmer | Oct 14, 2012 9:23:14 PM

15. Agree with those that are disagreeing with the new format. I'm not sure who suggested to you that "optimized" or "platform-customized" sites were the way to go, but my knowledge of the field tells me that the exact opposite is happening. Designers and developers are trying to create single designs that work across multiple platforms. Now, I'll say that your desktop site is kind of a disaster with the horrible widgets that drastically impair performance and throw off your layout (thank god for adblock), but I think you should have addressed your desktop site, making something that works for all users on all platforms rather than branching people into different interface experiences. Sorry to rain on your parade, but this is a big step backward for your site and its readers.

Posted by: Alison | Oct 14, 2012 10:33:35 PM

16. THANK YOU!!!!! so much better on my iPhone now. I'll be checkin in on my phone more frequently in this new format.

Posted by: wayne | Oct 15, 2012 3:15:35 AM

17. Really? This is a terrible app. It worked fine why add this horrible app? I will just delete Towleroad along with Raw Story...which I haven't ready since they started the "mobile app" bandwagon. Just bad, bad, bad!

Posted by: Major707 | Oct 15, 2012 11:40:16 AM

18. I appreciate the mobile version. The web version was very hard to navigate and read on an iPhone. Thanks for taking the jump!

Posted by: boone68 | Oct 15, 2012 12:09:02 PM

19. Thank freaking god. What took you so long? Now I actually might start reading this site again.

Posted by: dan payne | Oct 15, 2012 3:10:43 PM

20. I too use an iPad and I also MUCH prefer the desktop version. VERY annoying that I am forced to select this every time I visit the site.

Was this tested on the iPhone5? Buggy doesn't begin to describe it. Behaves VERY inconsistently.

Turn it off!

Posted by: Buzz | Oct 15, 2012 10:08:43 PM

21. I really don't like the mobile version. In fact I hate it. I much prefer the desktop version.

Posted by: JT | Oct 16, 2012 7:38:56 AM

22. My dear ol grand pappy used to say, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I much prefer the old way. There are way too many glitches and bugs, plus when you use a first gen iPad, the video NEVER works, and it defaults back to the new site, which sucks! The design is elementary, whereas the old way was sleek and dark. I completely agree with the majority, in that, the auto direct is agrivating, and when you go back it goes to the new way.

Please scrap the change or at least give users the option of the old or beta sites.

Posted by: Full Monte | Oct 16, 2012 10:53:25 AM

23. The only change the site really needs is a new comment system.

I prefer to read Towleroad on a desktop a couple of times during a day. It makes getting to links easier (since that's basically what all the site is). Multiple links on a mobile device is annoying, at least in my Android experience. The same said for getting to Youtube.

Posted by: Utahime | Oct 16, 2012 11:53:41 AM

24. Uh, it took me exactly three seconds to tap the little icon in the upper left-hand corner to reveal a link that says "Desktop version," so anyone who wants that on their device can get it.

I think it looks great on the iPhone, and I think some people have nothing better to do than complain. It's brand-new; give them time to tweak it. Sheesh.

Posted by: Sean | Oct 16, 2012 2:40:23 PM

25. This iPad version is so frustrating. It is awkward to navigate through it, there is an annoying tab thing that pops out and covers the text and when I try to get rid of it it takes me to the next page. You can't grow the text larger like in the desktop version and I seem to spend time swiping through blank pages with just ads on them. I won't use this new ap. Except for the video playback limitations, the desktop version is much better.

Posted by: Ny Larson | Oct 16, 2012 5:31:31 PM