Guns | Halloween | Nashville | News

NRA-Approved Pumpkin Carving: VIDEO

Pumpkin

Nashville-based Hickok45 demonstrates some red state pumpkin carving using "another common household tool."

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via the daily what)

Comments

1. Seems like he could have saved himself some typing time and just called himself Hick.

Posted by: Paul R | Oct 22, 2012 8:45:48 AM

2. See, they're not ALL crazy!

Posted by: i could go on, but I won't | Oct 22, 2012 9:04:55 AM

3. Guns are not just for shooting people, they're fun, too! Go out and buy one today!

Posted by: Jack M | Oct 22, 2012 10:13:25 AM

4. That's the sh*tiest carved pumpkin I have ever seen.

Posted by: Bvoakes | Oct 22, 2012 10:31:00 AM

5. I liked that! I'd probably enjoy having a drink with him...he reminds a bit of a Southern US version of Red Green.

Posted by: JT | Oct 22, 2012 10:32:51 AM

6. Speaking of pumpkin carving, is there a follow-up to the 4 October posting about Minnesotans for Marriage's pumpkin carving to oppose marriage equality? I just checked FB and didn't see anything on their page.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Oct 22, 2012 10:59:36 AM

7. That makes two dickheads.

Posted by: UFFDA | Oct 22, 2012 11:56:56 AM

8. This guy is a very respected fellow in the gun-owning internet community for his reviews of various equipment as well as his great shooting skills. He doesn't really talk politics, and if the worst thing about him is that he likes to shoot guns, well then he's better than most of the people who comment on (or write for) this website.

On any other site, I'd assume that this was just a fun little ancillary video, but given this site's bent, I can only assume that it's intended as a sarcastic anti-gun dig.

Remember Andy, you have diverse readership, and some of us (more than you think, I'll bet) are gun owners.

Posted by: Jack | Oct 22, 2012 1:12:40 PM

9. I sincerely don't understand why we, as a group, don't embrace firearms ownership with open arms. Few groups are as widely targeted for violence as we are. Why then, do so many gays reject firearms ownership as something that only rednecks/crazies/violent people do?

If anyone attempts violence against me or my loved ones, they're going to be staring at the loud end of a CZ75.

P.S. Hickok45 is a great guy.

Posted by: matt | Oct 22, 2012 3:47:36 PM

10. @Matt:

Yes, he is. I had a conversation with him a year or so back, and he was nothing but great. The fact that this site/its peanut gallery would use him of all people to rag on gun owners makes me even more mad, considering what a friendly and respectful guy he is. Guns are his hobby, being a school teacher (read: underappreciated) is his job.

And I also agree that the overwhelmingly anti-gun stance in the gay community is surprising and somewhat nonsensical. It's as if because you are gay, and liberals like gay people, that you have to agree with them on everything....like guns are bad and anyone who likes guns must be a crazy violent redneck sociopath. But whatever, ignorance isn't the domain of just the homophobes, I suppose...

Posted by: Jack | Oct 22, 2012 4:23:43 PM

11. Haha this was great! and he totally created a Janus Pumpkin! He should go on Top Shot for sure.

As for calls here that gays should start taking up more guns? Umm what? I really don't think there should be a cry for any one group to take up guns. If you understand the responsibilities of gun ownership, as clearly this gentlman does, then fine but I don't think it is a good idea to call for the arming of any one group. If you want a gun and are responsible enough to own one then go for it but guns aren't exactly spreading love around for everyone (RIP everyone from the last TWO shootings in Missouri).

It should however be as hard as freaking possible to purchase that gun. If you want one that badly and are a "good law abiding citizen" then just flat out deal with the long wait and lenghty process which needs be longer and more extensive. As a New Yorker who has directly witnessed the dramatic reduction in crime since we have toughened up the gun laws here I can attest to the fact that the fewer the guns the less the crime because while people kill people, guns sure make it an awfully simple job to do.

Posted by: Opinionated | Oct 22, 2012 7:49:09 PM

12. Opinionated: If you don't want to own a gun, that's fine and dandy. Just don't you dare get in the way of MY rights. Making it harder for law abiding gun owners to purchase their firearms is no different than preventing gay marriage. All making it harder to buy arms does is punish those who need such things the most. It doesn't make it any harder for criminals to get their hands on them. Here's a shocker, a criminal isn't going to wait or pay obscene taxes, they're just going to get one on the black market. As for the tragic shootings, it's a shame there wasn't a concealed carrier there to put a stop to them.

Both Chicago and D.C. have seen a huge increase in firearms violence even though they have the most restrictive and oppressive firearms laws in the country. Criminals don't care about those laws. That's why they're called criminals.

An armed gay is one who doesn't have to be in fear of violence. Why wouldn't that be something to embrace? Why live a fearful life when you have a constitutional right to protect yourself?

Posted by: matt | Oct 23, 2012 12:24:24 AM