2012 Election | Barack Obama | Food and Drink | Mitt Romney | News

BigGayDeal.com

Pizza Hut Offers Pizza for Life to Anyone Who Asks Obama or Romney About Toppings During Town Hall: VIDEO

Pizza

And the backlash is already beginning:

Pizza Hut is offering a lifetime of free pizza — one large pie a week for 30 years — or a check for $15,600 to anyone who poses the question to either President Barack Obama or Republican candidate Mitt Romney during the live Town Hall-style debate next Tuesday.

The proposed stunt, which the pizza chain announced Tuesday, threatens to tick off millions of viewers who are expected to tune in to the debate to hear what the candidates have to say about the economy, health care and other serious concerns facing this country.

"It's a terrible waste of time for the presidential candidates, the people who organize the debate and everyone who wants to listen," said Mickey Sheridan, a 43--year-old bartender from Queens, N.Y., who is a Pizza Hut fan. "They should find some other way to advertise."

Watch Pizza Hut's video announcing the challenge, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. The question should be: "what toppings do you recommend that would make it at least edible?"

Posted by: chuck | Oct 10, 2012 11:57:20 AM

2. Wonderful! Exactly in the sprit of the campaigns! Best advertising wins. Which is best, sausage or pepperoni? Oh---it doesn't make any difference. There is hardly any difference between them.

Posted by: Brian | Oct 10, 2012 12:02:35 PM

3. People would have to be living under a rock to not know what the candidates think at this point. Well, OK, I am sure Romney will change his mind on something by then...

Posted by: Kevin | Oct 10, 2012 12:07:12 PM

4. A pizza a week from Pizza Hut? What's second prize? Two pizzas a week?

Posted by: Butch | Oct 10, 2012 12:07:43 PM

5. OMG GET ME TO THAT TOWN HALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would totally do that. In a freaking heartbeat.

Posted by: Lucas H | Oct 10, 2012 12:15:26 PM

6. Actually, I think it is a great idea. Then we could see what Obama and Romney look like when they are saying something absolutely honest.

Posted by: Ricco | Oct 10, 2012 12:16:19 PM

7. Frankly I hope Mitt responds " I prefer Godfathers pizza".. Cain will be pressuring him to do it, and the rest of the world will ridicule him for it...

Posted by: mikenola | Oct 10, 2012 12:26:17 PM

8. Brilliant marketing!

Posted by: Luke | Oct 10, 2012 12:26:50 PM

9. I would do it, but take the check not the pizza

Posted by: carl | Oct 10, 2012 12:29:56 PM

10. They're keeping themselves busy deleting comments. I assume this isn't going over very well.

Posted by: Neal | Oct 10, 2012 12:37:17 PM

11. I was offended for a moment by the explicit trivialization of the "debates". then I thought how the entire process of American electoral politics has become a money wasting travesty, with very few points of genuine discussion of issues, free from the jactitations and puking of buzz word generators, zealots, nutjobs and hacks,

It would be more in keeping with all that if chik-fil-crap made the offer.

Posted by: gregory brown | Oct 10, 2012 12:41:13 PM

12. @ GREGORY BROWN - Ditto!

Politicians go on and on about the debt cieling, about the unemployment, the trillion dollar deficit,yet every two years, with peoples' homes being foreclosed on, vets returning from the wars homeless and unemployed, with American kids going to bed without dinner, and millions of Americans not getting medical care, we can spend million upon millions upon MILLIONS of dollars every two years for a senate, governor, or presidential election.

The election process alone is a glaring example of . . not American exceptionalism, but American dysfunction.

Posted by: Ricco | Oct 10, 2012 1:00:01 PM

13. I'd rather take the check. Pizza Hut makes cardboard discs covered in ketchup and government cheese.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Oct 10, 2012 1:38:59 PM

14. What is government cheese exactly?

Posted by: Lucas H | Oct 10, 2012 2:35:41 PM

15. Well, if Obama gets asked this he could mention Michele's campaign for healthier eating. Pizza is on the list of the top ten sources of sodium in the American diet and as such quite a problem.

Should school lunches include a choice of pizza? Every day? It's been a looonnnngggg time since I was in school but I understand it is a commom item now to be offered. The average American may be saying "While I grew up I ate pizza a lot and it didn't hurt me." They should get on the scale and check their blood pressure before they say that.

(I am probably grumpy because I am on a low sodium diet. I've only had one piece of pizza in the last year, from Sbarro. When I got home I checked how much sodium was in it. One slice had more sodium that I was supposed to eat in a day.)

Posted by: Charlie | Oct 10, 2012 4:59:13 PM

16. @ LUCAS H
    I had the same question!

Posted by: Randyowen | Oct 10, 2012 5:07:12 PM

17. Because most people won't live for 30 years if they eat a Pizza Hut pizza every week...

Posted by: "The Gay" | Oct 10, 2012 6:35:01 PM

18. Maybe... if it was Hungry Howie's Pizza.

Posted by: parkrunner | Oct 10, 2012 11:33:32 PM

19. Sorry, that's not pizza. I'm from Chicago...I know pizza.

Posted by: millerbeach | Oct 11, 2012 4:31:59 AM

20. @Millerbeach Deep Dish pizza is for the birds.

Posted by: Ryan | Oct 11, 2012 7:38:05 AM