Chick-fil-A | Don Redman | Jacksonville | News

Chick-fil-A-Eating Jacksonville City Councilman Don Redman Hates Gays, Can't Spell: VIDEO

Redman

An email sent earlier this month to constituent Pete Hull by Jacksonville City Councilman Don Redman in response to criticism of his "no" vote on expanding the city's anti-discrimination policies to cover gays and lesbians is getting some attention.

Hull, 31, said in an Oct. 4 email to all council members that the vote wrongly injected religion into public policy and hurts the city’s ability to attract new business. Redman emailed a reply on the same day with a few misspellings.

“You sound like a misguided & miserable individule [sic], who needs our prayers,” Redman wrote. “I pray that god will speak to your heart & show you the truthes [sic] of his word.”

Hull had written his letter to Redman after reading an editorial in the Times Union:

On Aug. 15, the City Council voted 10-9 against a version of a bill that would have extended legal protection to gays, lesbians and bisexuals in the areas of employment, housing and public accommodations in Jacksonville.

Redman was up-front about his opposition to the bill, saying it is “contrary to the Bible.” During a council meeting, he asked a lesbian supporter of the bill during a committee meeting, “Do you consider yourself male or female.”

Some of you may recall Redman from last August, when the Chick-fil-A nonsense was at its height. He gave up 35 years of vegetarianism so he could enjoy some hate chikin.

Watch him bite into it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Cluck! What an odious man.

Posted by: Gigi | Oct 19, 2012 10:12:15 AM

2. Just when you think the supply of stupid has been used up, Flarda comes up with another bumper crop.

Posted by: Onnyjay | Oct 19, 2012 10:14:37 AM

3. "Watch him bite into it..." Really? NO THANKS!!

Posted by: AJ | Oct 19, 2012 10:14:54 AM

4. Are any of us surprised he can't spell?

Posted by: Jack M | Oct 19, 2012 10:18:59 AM

5. It's even more depressing to know our equality is being held hostage by the lowest thinkers and dumbest people in the country. It would be one thing if our opponents were well spoken and had well reasoned arguments. Instead, we're bombarded with:

'Your' wrong because of the Bible!

Posted by: kp05 | Oct 19, 2012 10:19:53 AM

6. The Jacksonville City Council is overrun with bigoted religious nuts besides this one. Clay Yarborough is an outspoken homophobe and bigot, and, at the hearings on the LGBT nondiscrimination ordinance, Matt Schellenberg suggested that people not moving to Jacksonville because of its lack of LGBT protections were the ones discriminating against their "nice" city, and refused to acknowledge discrimination exists.

Perhaps the craziest, though, is Kim Daniels. A reformed prostitute, she is now a self-ordained preacher who uses the power of rap to, among other things, cure homosexuality.

The scariest thing is not that these people exist, or even that they're on this council, but that the people of Jacksonville are VOTING for them -- and such a large number of them, at that. To be fair, Jacksonville is a consolidated city, which means the "city" includes the surrounding suburbs (and the rural crazy that is inherent in that). It is still baffling that Americans elect not only extremely prejudiced politicians, but ones completely incompetent and ignorant of the law as well.

Posted by: mike8787 | Oct 19, 2012 10:32:13 AM

7. Eat up, bigot boy! Hate sandwiches cause heart attacks.

Posted by: kit | Oct 19, 2012 10:35:29 AM

8. Why is he so red? Is it because of the dye in his hair? His ill appearance reflects his soul.

Posted by: trees | Oct 19, 2012 11:18:41 AM

9. I wonder if this tool is using Clairol Men's Choice for males or the Nice & Easy favored by the females. Because usually with Clairol, there's 'Less Guilt. More Gorgeous.' I'm not seeing either, but it's the golden glimmer shades that are throwing me off. Does this person identify as male or female?

Posted by: JP | Oct 19, 2012 11:20:30 AM

10. @KP05...it can be depressing. Then, there is always the silver lining...they're so dumb that if we don't succeed in our own efforts for equality...natural selection will do it for us. Can you imagine a species surviving for very long thinking the way he does? Inbreeding, lower IQ's, hunting & gathering revisited & then puff...they're gone. We win.

Posted by: PAUL B. | Oct 19, 2012 11:32:04 AM

11. I never want to hear another word about this stupid company. The entire "controversy" has done nothing but make more money for them.

Posted by: Paul R | Oct 19, 2012 12:23:46 PM

12. True Christians should be guided by the golden rule of "Do to others as you would have them do to you". (Luke 6:31) That said people's interpretations of Leviticus and why it is O.K. to discriminate should be left out of city council meetings.

Posted by: Tom in long beach | Oct 19, 2012 2:46:02 PM

13. Vegetarianism is super "contrary to the Bible." I'm not judging, but if that's the lifestyle you've chosen, you're going to burn in Hell forever and ever. Praise the Lord!

Posted by: JJ | Oct 19, 2012 3:56:00 PM

14. I work in a grocery store in N.Ca. As I was walking past the huge gift card display I noticed the Chick-fil-A gift cards among the rest of the fast food company's so I stopped took them off the display turned them around and put them back on the display backwards.Then I put a Burger King card on top. It made me feel fantastic! I think I will do it again where ever I see them! Bigoted, lying bible thumpers!

Posted by: Tim | Oct 19, 2012 3:56:58 PM

15. @Tim...I live & work in N.Ca. too and I'm going to do just what you did the next chance I get. What a great idea...don't get caught!
    I'm guessing it's only one step over to the meat isle and putting a few of their cards buried in the chicken breasts might be helpful.

Posted by: PAUL B. | Oct 19, 2012 10:35:01 PM

16. All of the vegetarians I know are intelligent, principled people. They have embraced vegetarianism for clearly defensible reaons and hold to them. The idea that a vegetarian would drop vegetarianism for bigotry boggles my mind.

BTW - there is a subgroup of Jews who practice vegetarianism - it does have some support within Jewish tradition. Being vegetarisn is a way to allow Jews who keep kosher to be welcome for meals at their houses. It is not uncommon, moreover, for vegetarianism to be a waystation to keeping kosher.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Oct 21, 2012 9:19:38 AM

17. Just because he disagrees with you doesn't mean he hates you. The people I know who are against gay marriage do not appear to hate gays, they just disagree with what they're doing. Do ethical vegetarians hate carnivores? Do Democrats hate Republicans? I feel that this is a bigoted stereotype of opponents of gay marriage. *Some* of them are hateful, but to generalize about all of them -- how is that different than generalizing about all gay people?

I think we should be able to disagree respectfully.

Posted by: yehadut | Oct 22, 2012 9:16:14 AM

18. The scariest thing is not that these people exist, or even that they're on this council, but that the people of Jacksonville are VOTING for them

Posted by: Supreme Snapback Hats | Nov 19, 2012 4:04:05 AM