2012 Election | Mitt Romney | News

BigGayDeal.com

Did Romney Use a Forbidden 'Cheat Sheet' at the Debate? - VIDEO

Note_romney

A video of this week's presidential debate shows Romney pulling something out of his pocket that looks suspiciously like a piece of paper. His campaign says "it's a handkerchief". Others disagree.

Notes of any kind are not allowed, and DailyKos writes, "If he was seen to wipe sweat from his brow, the optics would have been very bad."

So, anybody see him use a hankie during the debate?

Watch the video of Romney pulling it from his pocket, AFTER THE JUMP...

(h/t david mixner)

Comments

1. I was watching the debate on my laptop a CNN was live streaming the debate. after Gov Romneys Gov family was on stage with his family, waving to the crowd and everything and the commentators was giving their take on the debate and the streaaming coverage on the platform still live, Gov Romney walks back behind the lecture and takes a paper folds it places it inside his suit jacket and then he does something very strange, he takes it out of his suit jacket and hands the paper to his son who then places it inside his sports jacket, cnn should have some film on it, becuase I know I saw it

Posted by: Randall Black | Oct 5, 2012 6:24:08 PM

2. What are they going to do? Arrest him?

Posted by: anon | Oct 5, 2012 6:37:42 PM

3. I noticed him wipe his nose and/or upper lip with about 10 minutes to go; I immediately thought of Nixon debating Kennedy and losing because of excessive sweat/brow wiping.

Admit it, Obama lost ... Romney was far superior that night.

I firmly believe that Biden will crush Ryan and Obama will be on his A-game for the next two. Do not sweat it (pun intended) all will be well.

Posted by: John | Oct 5, 2012 9:25:12 PM

4. You lot are as bad as birthers. Obama had an off night ...secret writing and magic decoder hankies needn't be used to explain it. Exactly how big was this hanky? How many "notes" do you think romney could have secreted away. Grow up.

Posted by: Seriously | Oct 5, 2012 9:59:33 PM

5. I think it's notes because after the debate I remember it seemed weird that he went back to the podium to pick something up... so I imagine he picked up the notes. That full video, after Obama greeted his family, was on the live online abcnews.com link I watched.

Posted by: Andrew Nichols | Oct 5, 2012 10:54:38 PM

6. Someone calling himself "Seriously" said, "You lot are as bad as birthers. Obama had an off night ...secret writing and magic decoder hankies needn't be used to explain it."

I stopped the video (youtube version to make the image bigger) and took a screen snapshot of whatever Romney was holding and then edited the image to increase the contrast and then the saturation, to try to bring out where Romney's hand was. It looked like he was holding about 1/2 of it. It seems to be too rectangular to be a folded handkerchief, but it is hard to tell exactly what it was.

Regardless, the issue raised was not Obama's performance, but whether Romney cheated by not following the rules. If he cheated, why should we trust him?

Posted by: Bill | Oct 6, 2012 2:51:36 AM

7. This reminds me of the debate with George W Bush when TV crews were strongly instructed not to film him from behind or from one side (because he had an ear piece so they could feed the dumbass information). This made headlines at the time but we never had any kind of official investigation because the Republicans wanted it covered up and they control all of the media, the police, the courts etc.

Posted by: Icebloo | Oct 6, 2012 3:40:09 AM

8. How exactly is this cheating? So what if he did have notes? Too bad the president didn't 'cheat' like Romney.

Posted by: ratbatard | Oct 6, 2012 11:05:10 AM

9. It would be cheating because notes are very specifically not allowed during the presidential debates.

But this is a sideshow, and Romney didn't appear to be consulting notes during the debate. People should be more focused on his many lies and bad policy ideas, which remain the same, whether he had a cheat sheet or a sweat rag.

Posted by: Ernie | Oct 6, 2012 12:07:27 PM

10. It greatly amuses me to hear us talk at such great length as experts on handkerchiefs.

"only an absolute sociopath"
    I thought we already had this debate and decided for the above proposition.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Oct 6, 2012 4:15:04 PM

11. Obama's problem at the debate was not a possible Romney cheat sheet. His problem was his own weak performance. He better get his act together. This country doesn't need a Republican President, a lot of regressive policies, a more conservative Supreme Court etc.

Posted by: andrew | Oct 6, 2012 11:16:38 PM

12. All I have to say is whatever Romney does to make people question his character, the better! He can do whatever he wants, as long as he gets caught. Whatever he does to help President Obama I truly appreciate! It's been one thing after another with him! It seems as though you can not trust that man as far as you can throw him! His actions or his words! Depending on who he is talking to he makes up what he thinks they want to
    hear, regardless whether its the truth or not! I cannot stomach the thought of him becoming our president. Nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing good can come of it! The idea of it scares me! With all his help, Obama will win. Thank you Mr. Romney

Posted by: Jeanne | Oct 7, 2012 3:03:49 AM

13. @WDS: While the LDS "legitimated" African-Americans in 1978, it has yet to "legitimate" females. They do not get to have the "temple garments" - just to wash them for their husbands. Yet another religious organization that needs to grant women equality:(

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Oct 7, 2012 7:54:24 AM

14. Isn't it sufficient that he reversed himself on every major policy issue he had mentioned in the last year of campaigning? While outright lying could be considered a strategy to throw off the debating opponent, it seems like cheating to me.

Posted by: Chuck Mielke | Oct 8, 2012 10:07:49 AM