I'm Gay | News | Sam Champion

BigGayDeal.com

Sam Champion is Gay and Engaged to Be Married

Champion

TV meteorologist Sam Champion is gay and engaged to be married to his boyfriend Rubem Robierb, ABC News reports:

“We are thrilled and so excited and thank everyone for their good wishes,” says Champion.

Champion and Robierb met through mutual friends a few years ago in Miami, where Robierb lives. Born in Brazil, Robierb is a fine-arts photographer who shows his work in Miami, Atlanta, Santa Monica and New York.
The two plan to wed later this year.

Champion also discusses his engagement in a report on last weekend's wedding of MSNBC Anchor Thomas Roberts to Patrick Abner, published in the Vows section today:

Among the 170 or so guests at the reception was Sam Champion, the weather anchor at ABC’s “Good Morning America.” He took a turn on the dance floor with his partner, the photographer Rubem Robierb.

“We’re getting married New Year’s Eve in Miami,” Mr. Champion said in the spirit of the moment.

Mr. Robierb corrected him: “We’ll do it here officially, and then have a party in Miami.”

Tweeted Champion this afternoon: "I've never been happier to share a bit of personal news!!"

While Champion has dwelled in a so-called 'glass closet' for some time, I believe this is the first time Champion has discussed his sexuality publicly. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Congrats in any case!

Comments

1. What???? Sam Champion is Gay? What a world!!!!

Posted by: Tboy | Oct 5, 2012 2:51:54 PM

2. Wow I had no idea Champion was gay. And not only that, but his man is HOT. Congrats to them.

Posted by: Jorell Rivera | Oct 5, 2012 2:53:00 PM

3. That's nice.

Posted by: Jakeinlove | Oct 5, 2012 2:54:37 PM

4. First - duh... and second - isn't it great to see so many openly gay successful and happy gay men fulfill their lives together?

Congratulations to them!

Posted by: OS2Guy | Oct 5, 2012 2:57:35 PM

5. Andy, you covered this years ago, so it seems that it has been no secret. I guess Anderson just made it easier for everyone else to be more public.

Posted by: gr8guyca | Oct 5, 2012 2:59:31 PM

6. I danced with Sam on Fire Island once and he was really fun, and great looking. This picture, however, is waaaaay too photoshopped. He looks like he's in Madame Tussauds.

Posted by: Jim | Oct 5, 2012 2:59:32 PM

7. isn't he, Jim?

Posted by: UWSGUY | Oct 5, 2012 3:09:59 PM

8. Back in the 90s when he was still the weatherman for ABC-7 in NYC, Sam used to go to Art Bar in Stamford, CT with his posse on gay nights, so we've known about him forever ... glad that he can be really out and proud. I agree his face looks unnatural in the above picture!

Posted by: GregCT | Oct 5, 2012 3:12:24 PM

9. I'm very happy for them both but Holy Face Filler, Batman. Sam needs to lay off the procedures for a while

Posted by: RONTEX | Oct 5, 2012 3:19:47 PM

10. Now it's Robin's turn!

Posted by: Matt | Oct 5, 2012 3:21:47 PM

11. Well, the second part of that headline is news to me. Congratulations to them both!

Posted by: MT | Oct 5, 2012 3:28:10 PM

12. Sam's been unofficial out and on the NY Chelsea scene for a long time....cute BF.

Posted by: Steve | Oct 5, 2012 3:32:14 PM

13. Sam Champion has been a regular fixture in every gay bar and establishment in Manhattan for years. This middle aged bleached blonde has been routinely seen on NYC streets holding hands with his various boyfriends over the years. No surprise at all. AC did make it easier for tv news types to come out of their "glass closets". Congrats!

Posted by: Clay | Oct 5, 2012 3:33:30 PM

14. Congrats to the both of them. May they enjoy many wondrous years together filled with good health, happiness and prosperity.

Posted by: JKM | Oct 5, 2012 4:11:12 PM

15. Gasp! The most shocking--Oh wait. In other startling news, water is wet.

Posted by: Cleveland | Oct 5, 2012 4:24:30 PM

16. C'mon, Robin... we're all ready to support you.

Posted by: Pete N SFO | Oct 5, 2012 4:32:31 PM

17. the punk band Sam Champion, right?

Posted by: starquisha | Oct 5, 2012 4:33:51 PM

18. Yes, Mr Champion's fiance is beautiful.

I'm going to Brazil one day so that I can touch (and taste) exquisite human beauty.

'Course I know I'll have to put out some money for the company of some handsome young Brazilian. But that's what decadent American tourists are expected to do...right, Ratbastard and Rick?

Yes, I'm going to Brazil before I go on to Glory. ...guess I'd better hurry up.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Oct 5, 2012 5:04:39 PM

19. Sam's previous boyfriend, Shawn Bell, was even more handsome! And they were together from 2006-2011. This must have been a whirlwind romance - Best to them all.

Posted by: Sarah | Oct 5, 2012 6:00:40 PM

20. and how is sam champion?

Posted by: nikkk | Oct 5, 2012 6:07:28 PM

21. Another aging white gay man with money snatching up a Brazilian man. Same old story.

Posted by: What's new? | Oct 5, 2012 6:11:26 PM

22. I hope that some of the bitchier middle-aged queens around here don't jump all over Tank for asking this question, but a few years back I read that Sam Champion was dating a certain MLB star who used to appear in tons of commercials, but who then suddenly disappeared from the airwaves. Does that mean the MLB guy is going to come out now, too?!

Posted by: TANK | Oct 5, 2012 6:38:20 PM

23. Sam is no AC but no one is. There has been several tabloid stories circulated that included Sam 'so'. There's never enough good news, here's hope this is another good role model romance being circulated. Regardless, wish the best to the men.

Posted by: RichBinPS | Oct 5, 2012 6:49:19 PM

24. I am trying to figure out why anyone cares

Posted by: who cares | Oct 5, 2012 6:55:34 PM

25. "POSTED MAY. 28,2008 AT 9:12 AM EST"

You think it's Standard Time?!

Posted by: Ally | Oct 5, 2012 7:00:39 PM