BigGayDeal.com

Patriots Linebacker Brandon Spikes Compares Fear of Spiders to Fear of Homosexuals: VIDEO

Spikes

New England Patriots linebacker Brandon Spikes is receiving a barrage of feedback on Twitter for a Tweet he posted yesterday that he insists was "a joke."

Brand_spikesSaid Spikes in the tweet:

I’m homophobic just like I’m arachnophobic.I have nothing against homosexuals or spiders but I’d still scream if I found one in my bathtub !

HuffPost reports:

Spikes then received a slew of criticism from those who said his comments were insensitive and served as a bad example for children who look up to him.

"Gay jokes, how clever...remember you are a rode model for kids around the world. October is also anti-bullying month," tweeted one user. "Your homophobic jokes make me as a New England Patriots fan for most of my life ashamed. I hope the Patriots suspend you," responded another. "Gotta hand it to @BrandonSpikes55 for crafting a tweet that makes him sound simultaneously like a tough guy homophobe AND a complete weenie," wrote another.

Watch a report from FOX25 Boston, AFTER THE JUMP...

Video may take a few seconds to load...

Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston

Comments

1. That was a good joke!

Posted by: Fenrox | Oct 11, 2012 3:24:51 PM

2. You can't replace the word gay with black in this joke. Part of the joke is that he says he'll scream - get it? So he's indicating that the speaker (him) is at least kinda gay. Also, bathtub has circumstantial meaning here.
    There are limits to analogizing race and sexual orientation. The idea that they can be replaced modularly is ridiculous.
    Finally, I think it may have been a pro-gay statement although it is ambiguous.

Posted by: Markt | Oct 11, 2012 3:25:43 PM

3. I thought it was funny

Posted by: chip | Oct 11, 2012 3:26:23 PM

4. CDuBois : Because many gays think blacks are more homophobic than other races, both violently and non-violently. Therefore, they'd be a threat to our well-being. (Whether all that is true or not is a whole other debate).

Posted by: Yupp | Oct 11, 2012 3:27:10 PM

5. Yes, I bet Brandon Spikes is a screamer.

Posted by: Bart | Oct 11, 2012 3:30:40 PM

6. @yup. I get that perception (because that's what it is when it isn't backed by data) but It seems counterproductive and a touch bit hypocritical. Further, I think it is an idea that is rather off base. The funny thing is the same people who make assertations about the gay lifestyle to blacks to mobilize them against us are the SAME people who propogate stereotypes of black people to us to insight fear. It's a vicous circle of hate and eventually someone needs to be an adult and turn the other cheek. I'm not going to hate someone for hating me, I will pity them for being consumed by negativity...

Posted by: cdubois | Oct 11, 2012 3:35:19 PM

7. *Assertions. Excuse me

Posted by: cdubois | Oct 11, 2012 3:38:30 PM

8. What a bunch of dumb ass comments.

So what is wrong with a straight man screaming if he found a gay man in his tub?

When one finds something that means it was not invited to be there.

I would scream or yell if I found anyone other than my mate in our home and tub.

And sreaming at a spider does not make one gay, having sex with the same sex as you makes one gay.

I thought what he tweeted was on the silly funny side of life.

Posted by: mikie dennis | Oct 11, 2012 3:39:34 PM

9. I personally, as a 25-year-old white boy, have an affinity for black men. You put Frank Ocean in front of me, and it's all over.

Posted by: Beau | Oct 11, 2012 3:39:47 PM

10. @BEAU HAHA Thats so funny! Not 5 minutes ago I saw a picture of Frank O and wondered how I never noticed how hot he is!!! He's not bad musically either...

Posted by: cdubois | Oct 11, 2012 3:42:56 PM

11. Some men prefer their homosexuals in their bed...

Posted by: MikeInSanJose | Oct 11, 2012 3:51:16 PM

12. I honestly don't see this as homophobic in the truest sense but it's still wrong because he's making homosexuality the butt of a joke. So it's still effectively making fun of us, poking fun at us. So I consider this more stupid, insensitive and immature. Intent wasn't hateful but at the end of the day, it was an unnecessary tweet. The thought of it makes me think just......WHY?

Posted by: Francis | Oct 11, 2012 3:52:03 PM

13. Men usually break into people's houses to steal, kill or rape.

Isn't the subtext of his tweet that the gay man would be there to f**k him?

And, would he scream or try to beat up the intruder if the intruder were heterosexual.

Are gay men that horrifying to him that he would feel so indefensible and it would send him screaming in fear?

Posted by: truthteller | Oct 11, 2012 3:53:42 PM

14. If that's the worst he's said, cut him some slack.

Posted by: gregory brown | Oct 11, 2012 3:54:01 PM

15. I believe it was a no harm intended joke alone the line as if a gay male found a naked female in his bathtub.

Posted by: gb | Oct 11, 2012 3:54:06 PM

16. I'd scream if I found a perfect stranger in my bathtub who shouldn't be there. I have feeling, therefore, that Spikes doesn't know many gay people.

Posted by: ophu | Oct 11, 2012 4:11:12 PM

17. Another ugly neegroee

Posted by: Dannyded | Oct 11, 2012 4:26:11 PM

18. When did gays lose their sense of humor? I thought it was funny...

Posted by: D | Oct 11, 2012 4:33:06 PM

19. @CDUBOIS It is partly what Yupp said, but to be totally, brutally honest, it is also because the value that most gay men place on other men has mostly to do with how physically attractive they are.....and many non-black people (and most gays are, of course, non-black) simply do not find the physical characteristics of black people appealing--skin color, hair texture, facial features, etc......

Of course, I am probably not telling you something you don't already know.....and I think it accounts for a lot of the anger black gays feel towards non-black gays.

Of course, there are some non-black gay men who find black men attractive and some who even have a "fetish" for them, but they are probably a small minority, from what I have observed.

Just being candid.

Posted by: Rick | Oct 11, 2012 4:35:08 PM

20. i love spiders and homos, just not together

the whole "i have nothing against homosexuals but..." thing is ridiculous. yes, you have something against them, stop fronting like you don't.

Posted by: gomez | Oct 11, 2012 4:45:28 PM

21. I'd scream if I found a homosexual in my bathtub too. Whether it was a scream of joy or fear would depend on how hot he was.

Posted by: Brandon H | Oct 11, 2012 5:02:42 PM

22. I think it was just a lame joke that unintentionally came off as homophobic. I'll give this guy the benefit of the doubt, since he hasn't made any previous anti-gay statements (that i'm aware of, anyway).

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Oct 11, 2012 5:11:04 PM

23. srsly, guys? some of you need help with reading comprehension. this was NOT gay-friendly. nor was it 'veiled' or 'unintentional'.

he likened homophobia to arachnophobia meaning HE HATES BOTH spiders and gays.

Posted by: redball | Oct 11, 2012 5:27:00 PM

24. RICK: "simply" is not so simple.

there's been a vast history of systematically depicting in language, political and other cartoons, etc., the beauty of non-white races as LESS THAN.

it's not so objective as you make it out to be. it's 100% socially constructed.

Posted by: redball | Oct 11, 2012 5:29:06 PM

25. Clearly a joke. I'm not offended. Lighten up guys! If anything, it just serves to highlight how silly and irrational homophobia is.

Posted by: danswon | Oct 11, 2012 5:40:39 PM