Gay Parents | News | Tom Ford

Tom Ford and Partner Richard Buckley Welcome a Son

Ford

Fashion designer and diretor Tom Ford and his partner of 25 years Richard Buckley are fathers, according to NYT fashion critic Cathy Horyn, who tweeted:

"Congratulations to Tom Ford and Richard Buckley on birth of their son, Alexander John Buckley Ford!"

Comments

1. Congratulations. Uhm, did Mr. Ford take his own picture for the cover of OUT?

Posted by: Anthony | Oct 5, 2012 11:10:28 AM

2. But they're so old!

Posted by: Just Sayin | Oct 5, 2012 11:17:32 AM

3. That picture is disturbing.

Posted by: Jack M | Oct 5, 2012 11:18:35 AM

4. Congratulations to them! And may God bless them all. :)

Posted by: Pommie | Oct 5, 2012 11:19:24 AM

5. Yeah they will only be a 100 when the kid graduates high school. At least he will be set with a trust fund and designer duds.

Posted by: Washington | Oct 5, 2012 11:28:01 AM

6. When their son turns 20, Tom Ford will be 71 and Richard Buckley...well let's just say he'll be much, much older. If that is perceived as ageist, I'm sorry but those are the facts. I mean, I'm sure this kid will be raised by an army of nannies but still.

Posted by: KT | Oct 5, 2012 11:29:05 AM

7. Felicitations!

Posted by: Quest | Oct 5, 2012 11:31:24 AM

8. Can't we just be happy for them? I can.

Posted by: Matt26 | Oct 5, 2012 11:33:51 AM

9. Better them than me: the idea of spending one's sunset years dealing with a teenager is horrifying (no doubt to the kid, too) but both straight and gay people seem to have decided that having a child post-50 is a good thing. To each his own.

Posted by: Ernie | Oct 5, 2012 11:34:26 AM

10. Wow, quelques personnes sont trop cruelles! You American bastards really need to relax. What does their age have to do with anyone? I am 29 and I don't understand why age has to be brought up so much. My partner is 43. Americans are so bitter and cruel. No wonder other people despise your country. Now you will have a Mormon president and be the laughter of the world, but he suits your character.

Posted by: Quest | Oct 5, 2012 11:40:33 AM

11. I wish just once I could read a story like this and see nothing but positive comments. I'm not sure why their age is a negative. Yes, Tom is 51 and I think Richard is 64. My Dad was in his 50s when I was born, and he was a wonderful father. My best friend's dad was 60 when he was born; he was equally awesome. Maybe you think it means the kid gets shortchanged on time with his father(s), but quality, not quantity, is what counts, and life offers no guarantees about longevity, health, etc., for anyone. As gay men we should innately understand the problem with trying to find happiness by following social norms.

I'm also not clear why the picture is "disturbing." Is it the content? The lighting? Richard's turtleneck? What is it that is disturbing? It's two men who have been together for 25 years (!) and they're now having a kid. Think how remarkable that is and what they've seen each other through (including Richard having cancer).

Seriously, to find anything but joy in this is deeply bitter. Congratulations to Tom and Richard :)

Posted by: Stefan | Oct 5, 2012 11:44:23 AM

12. @STEFAN: What really brings me joy is that people like you exist! Thanks for your beautiful comment. Is how everyone should think.

Posted by: Joe.Moon | Oct 5, 2012 11:49:57 AM

13. Good for the FordBuckley family. As stated by others, Americans have age and beauty hate "issues". They hate growing older as American society has as of the early 1900s been able to quickly show most Americans what youth and beauty should be; movies, ads, magazines, and now the internet. Any one over 34 is "old" and there fore irrelevant.

KT said, "I'm sorry but.." You're not sorry KT, you're just stating your opinion. Don't be sorry for it. Just make sure it's a well thought out opinion. Your opinion is not ageist at all as you are in no position to use their age against them.

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Oct 5, 2012 11:55:02 AM

14. I agree @Stefan about the picture: I'm not sure what is disturbing exactly about Tom showing affection for his husband.

One doesn't have to be bitter, however, to have reservations about older people having children. I would have personal reservations about having a child at my age because, as someone who knows what it's like to deal with elderly parents, it's not for sissies, and when teenagers and young adults may have to face that reality, it's tough. That doesn't mean--as your personal experience attests--that older parents can't be great parents or that they haven't weighed their decision, but it quite legitimately gives pause.

Posted by: Ernie | Oct 5, 2012 12:03:04 PM

15. Love is love, no matter the age.

Posted by: MB | Oct 5, 2012 12:06:49 PM

16. For all kinds of reasons lots of kids are raised by grandparents...

Posted by: UFFDA | Oct 5, 2012 12:15:34 PM

17. Good to see that Tom is also a daddy lover!

Posted by: Justin Tate | Oct 5, 2012 12:17:40 PM

18. I'm sorry, but I think there are too many older people who have kids together. This applies to both gay and straight people.

In general I do not think it's fair to the kids, but that's just my personal opinion.

Posted by: dan | Oct 5, 2012 12:24:14 PM

19. Congrats to the May 1961 - December 1939 relationship!

Posted by: M. Scott Hernandez | Oct 5, 2012 1:14:33 PM

20. What's disturbing about the photo, for me, is that Richard looks uncomfortable and tense, without a bit of expression on his face. It looks like Tom is kissing a wax figurine. That's what makes is creepy.

Posted by: Jack M | Oct 5, 2012 1:32:54 PM

21. @ERNIE: I understand that sentiment, and maybe bitter was too harsh a word. But I'll offer a quick rebuttal. I did have to deal with one parent dying and the other needing constant care in my 20s (and I was the primary caregiver). It was tough. The thing is, that's not guaranteed to not happen to younger parents. I have a few relatives who had first strokes and heart attacks in their late 40s, others who have had cancer in their 30s, another who had severe epilepsy since his teen years. Some stayed healthy until their 80s (I hope I take after them!). All had kids, and all had kids who had to deal with death or illness of a parent at different ages--and it was never easy or not awful, at any age. In your teens and 20s you have to deal with still needing people to take care of you and losing that support. In your 30s and 40s you're in your peak earning and child-rearing years, and having to balance having multiple people and things dependent on you is awful. In your 50s and beyond, you and parents are legitimately all senior citizens, trying to muddle through a pretty scary terrain. Maybe it's supposed to be easier to lose your parents or have them get sick when you're older, but I'm not sure how. Life is messy and complicated for everyone.

Posted by: Stefan | Oct 5, 2012 1:47:38 PM

22. the kid's gonna be fine. it's not like he's being raised by a couple of anti-gay republicans. relax, y'all.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Oct 5, 2012 2:06:48 PM

23. It's a lovely loving picture and yes, Ford took it himself (and has admitted to doing so). Ten years ago long-term couples like this would never have a child. Upon their passing such estates would pass on to institutions or trusts - in this case, the estates of both will most likely pass on to their son. You work all your life and then you die. What's the point if you can't pass on everything you earned throughout that life? A majority of gays will say, "who cares?" so why even work at all?

It is nice to see that gay people have the right and ability to grow their family.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Oct 5, 2012 2:28:26 PM

24. I hear you @Stefan--there are many variables and few guarantees in life, and some younger people probably aren't equipped to become parents but do so anyway, and many older people probably make great parents, especially if they have a support system in place and good resources.

So I have nothing against Tom and Richard deciding to become parents--as if they could care if I did--but I would have moral qualms about doing it myself. My parents were in their late 30s when they had me--old for the time--and I felt lucky that I didn't have to start dealing with aging and death issues till I was in my late 30s, and that I had siblings to help. But, true, it's not a picnic whenever you have to deal with end of life issues--especially hard, though, if you're a teenager going through all the other teen traumas.

Posted by: Ernie | Oct 5, 2012 4:06:46 PM