Military | News | Westboro Baptist Church

Westboro Baptist Church Member Tackled at Military Funeral for Gay Staff Sergeant Donna Johnson: VIDEO

Tackle

A Westboro Baptist Church member was tackled at a military funeral for Army Staff Sgt. Donna Johnson, blog Guardian of Valor writes:

So at the funeral today for Fallen Soldier Sgt. Johnson a Westboro member decided it would be smart to stomp on the American flag. A Soldier did not take kindly to that and broke through the line, hitting one of the protesters that was disgracing Old Glory. As he was being arrested, two other Soldiers rescued the flag. The first video was filmed bu a friend of mine, the person you see jumping around with the flag is also a buddy. The second video was made by another person there to protect the funeral it is a little clearer. The person you see jumping around right before the Soldier runs in and clocks the member is a friend of mine. The Soldier was not charged and later released.

Johnson died in a suicide bomber attack while on patrol in Afghanistan. She is survived by her wife Tracy Dice.

Watch the crowd go nuts when the WBC member is taken down, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. @ PAUL B.

I cannot understand that I have been reading about the Phelps for years denigrating funerals of service men and women who have given the ultimate price for their love of their country.
    I believe in freedom of speech and in democracy; but I know when small bigots behaviour is treason, shameful, and intolerable even to the most liberal societies.
    Quite simply the Phelps should not have been allowed to defecate on the people for so long . They should be stopped with whatever it takes. That's my opinion....and there have been enough attendees at the funerals to do that.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Oct 15, 2012 3:23:46 PM

2. The soldier wasn't charged, but could be charged later. Emotional distress is sometimes a good defense in spontaneous assault cases, so even if charged, he might get off. There's no way to predict how the Phelps clan will react, but they like getting attention, so I expect some reaction. Of course, Internet comments are free speech incarnate. You can't top the nature of comments in online forums.

Posted by: anon | Oct 15, 2012 3:27:28 PM

3. Not every human speak the same language. Sometime you have to stoop to their level so that they really really understand where you are coming from.

Posted by: bambinoitaliano | Oct 15, 2012 3:30:44 PM

4. @Jacktwist...again, I agree with you completely. It sounds like Jamal49 is as well.
    "They should be stopped with whatever it takes"
    are your words...and I'm asking you again if you have any specific suggestions? I surely feel your anger Jack...and I'm open to hearing suggestions from you as to what is an appropriate response....in your opinion.

Posted by: PAUL B. | Oct 15, 2012 3:40:52 PM

5. @ Paul B.

The obvious response is violence. This is what has happened in the vid.....and that's fine with me.
    If you want a quiet, PC response then let the Phelps continue to protest but not within an area where their behaviour is likely to lead to a "Breach of the Peace"......which is an old common law offence......and should be enforced.

So pen/fence them in, a suitable distance from all funerals , say, not less than five miles from any service men's Women's funeral. In that way the legitimate grief and dignity of the mourners would be protected and the illegitimate attention seeking neuroses of the Phelps could prance to their hearts' content.

But there's always the solution of beating the living $hit out of them so that they won't want to insult the mourners again.
    Is this specific enough of an answer ?

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Oct 15, 2012 3:49:30 PM

6. Of course it's about free speech. So LGBT demonstrations should be legal when performed in a friendly environment, but illegal when performed in front of a KKK convention? Um , no. You people using the incitement argument are not thinking. You should be erring on the side of allowing the speech to take place, not sacrificing our right to protest.

Posted by: dattexas | Oct 15, 2012 3:52:16 PM

7. Violence over desecration of a colored piece of fabric would normally upset me. I don't revere cotton polyester. However, in the case of the Phelps circus, my response to a punch in the jaw is basically, "meh."

Posted by: candideinnc | Oct 15, 2012 3:52:33 PM

8. I hope someone follows this so if the Westboro Baptist Nuts sue the soldier who decked one of the Cult's followers, we will know where to send the money.

Posted by: rayrayj | Oct 15, 2012 3:52:37 PM

9. The Phelps won in court and I believe that decision was correct. I want to live in a country where even the unpopular or vile ideas can be heard. I do not agree with their message or tactics but they have a right to display their opinion, this is America.

Posted by: Bryce Ageno | Oct 15, 2012 3:54:09 PM

10. Shouldn't something like desecrating a flag be able to fall under the fight words doctrine? Attacking a flag like that in front of a soldier would seem close to calling an African American the N-word, something so directly offensive to the person that a breach of the peace is almost inevitable.

Posted by: sgvmk | Oct 15, 2012 3:55:02 PM

11. Oh, and JACKFKNTWIST, guess what you're enjoying with your vitriol and angry (melodramatic) prose? Yes. That would be free speech.

Posted by: dattexas | Oct 15, 2012 3:55:33 PM

12. But littlekiwi, they are standing up for what they believe in. They are SO BRAVE, just like you!!

Posted by: Rovex | Oct 15, 2012 3:56:09 PM

13. Free speech has its limits, what the Phelps cult do it harmful. It goes beyond homophobia, which is bad enough in itself, its now anti-social on every level.

Posted by: Rovex | Oct 15, 2012 4:02:26 PM

14. @Jacktwist...thank you for your honesty...and again, I'm right there with you. For those here that don't like hearing this..."turn the other cheek". But for me it's not about that anymore...it's time to crank it up a notch.
    But...what's the best retaliation, is my only real question.

Posted by: PAUL B. | Oct 15, 2012 4:05:56 PM

15. Freedom of speech has never meant freedom from responsibility of said speech. Something to keep in mind.

Posted by: Francis | Oct 15, 2012 4:10:10 PM

16. @ Dattexas :

No one is sacrificing a right to protest !

What the Phelps are doing is behaviour which is criminal, in that it is behaviour likely to lead to a breach of the Peace. It is an offence to behave thus.
    (Is that melodramatic enough for you ?)
    Their behaviour is also treasonous in that it undermines the moral of an institution of the state....the military.
    My vitriol may be an exercise of free speech but it is not insulting, offensive nor likely to provoke a criminal offence.
    Your comparisons of the exercise of free speech are delusional.

Clearly the Phelps' behaviour has led to violence in the public arena and therefore that proves my point.....they should be arrested every time they appear at a funeral where they are likely to provoke violence.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Oct 15, 2012 4:19:53 PM

17. @Jacktwist...Bingo!!

Posted by: PAUL B. | Oct 15, 2012 4:22:56 PM

18. @ Dattexas :
    Are you seriously mentioning an LGBT demonstration in the same post as a Phelps' disgraceful spectacle ?

LGBT protests have never sought to denigrate anyone in the way the Phelps have.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Oct 15, 2012 4:23:30 PM

19. The Westboro congregation belongs in hell.

Posted by: Gast | Oct 15, 2012 4:25:17 PM

20. JACKFKNTWIST the courts have ruled otherwise. Feel free to bring it up with them.

Posted by: Bryce Ageno | Oct 15, 2012 4:25:20 PM

21. I'm pretty certain, if you interview all the people at that intersection that day, you would be hard pressed to find anyone who saw what happened. I looked at all three videos and I didn't see anything. Did any of you see anyone get knocked down?

Posted by: I wont grow up | Oct 15, 2012 4:40:55 PM

22. @ BRYCE AGENO :

Friend, if Romney and the fascists get in the SCOTUS is likely to rule against us on every issue for the next generation ( with new appointments).....no equality, no equal protection, and straights get benefits that we are not good enough for.
    As for me having a right to reside with my BF in the USA, if I could get married, that will be out the window too.
    But straights have the right to reside with their spouses.........

Free speech is not my god, nor your second amendment.......in fact I'm one of those people who believe you need a new liberal constitution......but how could the states agree to that ?
    (I'm now offically rambling !!!!)

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Oct 15, 2012 4:58:33 PM

23. You don't get to pick which brand of "freedom of speech" is allowed. The law covers pretty much all of it. I don't like it at all either and feel WBC is scum, much like the rest of you.

Don't make me a target here, I'm just saying the truth.

Don't hate on the messenger.

Posted by: johnny | Oct 15, 2012 4:59:02 PM

24. Question: What do you get when you tease a dog until it becomes enraged? Answer: Teeth marks on your ass if you're lucky, and a torn-out throat if you're not. Let's just say the Phelps crowd are finally getting what they've been begging for.

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | Oct 15, 2012 5:00:52 PM

25. Good on him for dealing with terrorist filth like theists.

Soon, theists will pay for their crimes against humanity. This is but a miniscule taste.

Posted by: Aulton | Oct 15, 2012 5:02:53 PM