Andy Cohen | News | One Direction

BigGayDeal.com

Andy Cohen Forced to Apologize for Calling One Direction 'Twinks'

Twinks1

You can tell the election news cycle is over when...

An actual story/outrage making headlines this week:

Appearing on the Today Show just hours after Harry Styles and co had performed in front of their thousands of fans who had queued for days to see them, Cohen recalled the moment when he saw the band in the green room.

He said: "This morning, I went into the normal green room that we typically go into. I barged in, there are all these people in front of us. Oh, it's all the leftover One Direction fans. I barged right into a room of twinks: One Direction! Security was not exactly too tight, with all due respect. I barged right in. It was crazy!"

......

Taking to his Twitter page after reportedly getting tweets from One Direction fans who were unhappy with his comments, Cohen apologised saying: "Misused word earlier — I just meant they’re cute. #1D” But he has left his tweet from earlier still on his official page.

Twinks3

Twinks2

Comments

1. Being called a twink is "offensive and derogatory"? Right.

Posted by: syncboy | Nov 14, 2012 9:50:47 AM

2. I thought twinks was used to describe a certain type of young guy, regardless of sexual orientation.

Posted by: Paulie | Nov 14, 2012 9:52:48 AM

3. When did twinks become derogatory or offensive? Is bear? Otter?

Posted by: Nick | Nov 14, 2012 9:53:52 AM

4. But... but... but... Andy Cohen is a twink... an OLD twink, but still a twink...!

Posted by: Randall | Nov 14, 2012 9:54:04 AM

5. "Twink" is not derogatory. A young man might take offense at being called a twink, but that's a different matter.

Posted by: Demian | Nov 14, 2012 9:54:06 AM

6. "Twink" is derogatory? Wouldn't that make "bear" derogatory too? I'm not buying it. They're clearly upset that they were labeled gay. Well, if they're not gay, then no one will care; and if they are gay, no one will care.

Posted by: David in Houston | Nov 14, 2012 9:54:38 AM

7. Straight guys take offense at being called gay, so it would make sense that they would be offended by being called twinks. No one in the gay community thinks its offensive.

One Directions hairstyles? Now THAT is offensive!

Posted by: Chadd | Nov 14, 2012 9:56:41 AM

8. Thank you, Syncboy - Since when is "Twink" offensive? This is such a non-story it's ridiculous. And who "forced" Andy to apologize?

Posted by: Rick A. | Nov 14, 2012 9:59:39 AM

9. Nobody rocks a pair of red capris pants like One Direction band member Louis Tomlinson. Doesn't that say it all?

Posted by: Jon | Nov 14, 2012 10:04:06 AM

10. Paulie: That's true, this is regardless to the sexual orientation and secondly, that even if 'twink' is for gay men then, my putting it in an offensive category one is only making it offensive to be gay, 'coz by their argument it's nothing but young(may be handsome) young gay men. Now, certainly to them neither being young nor being handsome would be offensive so, the only element left is the gay one. And the word 'twink' is also unlike the word 'blonde' which carries the connotation of being dumb. So, the point is that's it's actually them who should be better apologizing 'coz they think it's bad to derogatory and offensive if someone calls you gay as it is the last think one would wish for.

Posted by: Markus | Nov 14, 2012 10:11:32 AM

11. Of course "twink" isn't offensive. Sheeesh! It's a compliment. Twink to me means: young, cute, stupid. Okay...maybe the stupid part isn't a compliment...but you get my drift.

Andy went along with the "forced apology" because he knew it would get him publicity.

Posted by: Stevie | Nov 14, 2012 10:15:10 AM

12. "Gay sexual slang"? Really? I don't think "twink" connotes sex in any way.

Posted by: Larry | Nov 14, 2012 10:21:35 AM

13. In addition to young and cute, "twink" also implies excessively skinny, no body hair, feminine mannerisms and a lack of muscle mass. But, it still isn't derogatory. It's just a descriptor for a certain "type".

Posted by: Tim NC | Nov 14, 2012 10:28:19 AM

14. Stevie: I don't think "twink" implies that a person is stupid any more than "bear" does. It's just a body type and age group.

Or maybe I'm just getting extra defensive because my bf always says I'm "twinky."

Posted by: Geoff in TO | Nov 14, 2012 10:28:31 AM

15. "The term "twinks" is said to be a slang word for young gay men and is deemed to be offensive and derogatory." LOL. Your kidding!!! I'm sorry, I didn't get the memo on that.

Posted by: Ted | Nov 14, 2012 10:28:36 AM

16. This is a non-story pure and simple. I'm considered a bear in the gay community and it doesn't offend me one bit to be called one. They are twinks and should own it instead of acting so flamey about it.

Posted by: RaySager | Nov 14, 2012 10:29:33 AM

17. Gay men love their body type slang!

Posted by: anon | Nov 14, 2012 10:37:37 AM

18. But y'all are twinks.

Get over it, you twinks.

Posted by: benjamin | Nov 14, 2012 10:41:40 AM

19. Why must everything always be about Andy Cohen in the end?

Posted by: JeffNYC | Nov 14, 2012 10:46:26 AM

20. And the list of offensive words grows longer.

Posted by: andrew | Nov 14, 2012 10:52:52 AM

21. I, for one, do find 'twink' to be an offensive term. Sure, some will just use it to describe a young or young-looking man, but it generally also implies that the 'twink' in question is stupid, immature, shallow, and slutty. I've been fighting the label 'twink' for years, and I can't help but notice that the only people who defend their right to use it are those who the term doesn't apply to...

Posted by: Top to Bottom | Nov 14, 2012 10:57:48 AM

22. he didn't call them youngish skinny homosexuals men, which would have really caused a stir.

Posted by: dards | Nov 14, 2012 11:03:58 AM

23. Wow, Andy Cohen strikes again. He is the worst, he never should have apologized. Julian Clary would never have apologized.

Posted by: Fenrox | Nov 14, 2012 11:08:30 AM

24. Glad to see ALL of us gay guys agree that the word is in fact NOT OFFENSIVE. It is used in everyday speak. Someone is trying to stir a shite storm here.....ridiculous

Posted by: Stephen | Nov 14, 2012 11:20:43 AM

25. @Top To Bottom: If you have been fighting the label twink "for years", you are no longer a twink. Just sayin.

Posted by: andrew | Nov 14, 2012 11:20:48 AM