Andy Cohen | News | One Direction

Andy Cohen Forced to Apologize for Calling One Direction 'Twinks'

Twinks1

You can tell the election news cycle is over when...

An actual story/outrage making headlines this week:

Appearing on the Today Show just hours after Harry Styles and co had performed in front of their thousands of fans who had queued for days to see them, Cohen recalled the moment when he saw the band in the green room.

He said: "This morning, I went into the normal green room that we typically go into. I barged in, there are all these people in front of us. Oh, it's all the leftover One Direction fans. I barged right into a room of twinks: One Direction! Security was not exactly too tight, with all due respect. I barged right in. It was crazy!"

The term "twinks" is said to be a slang word for young gay men and is deemed to be offensive and derogatory.

......

Taking to his Twitter page after reportedly getting tweets from One Direction fans who were unhappy with his comments, Cohen apologised saying: "Misused word earlier — I just meant they’re cute. #1D” But he has left his tweet from earlier still on his official page.

Twinks3

Twinks2

Comments

1. Some may find twink offensive, but I don't see it. It can be offensive depending on context but clearly Andy didn't mean it in an offensive way. This is all about some of these One Direction boys being closeted and insecure and many of their fans being insane.

Posted by: Francis | Nov 14, 2012 11:21:15 AM

2. twink is a universal term.

Posted by: jakeinlove | Nov 14, 2012 11:23:00 AM

3. Twink, offensive? Really? Wow! Who knew.

Posted by: Phoenix Justice | Nov 14, 2012 11:25:29 AM

4. "But you are, Blanche, you are!"

Posted by: kodiak | Nov 14, 2012 11:33:32 AM

5. Randall...in 'twink' language...so...nailed it!
    Anderson Cooper is his runners up though.Check both the old 'twinks' today on Anderson's 'twinky' show! Giddy senior twinks that had to see Maddona's Show all three times...eek!

Posted by: VDUFFORD | Nov 14, 2012 11:34:27 AM

6. if it walks like a duck...

But twink does have some "dim witted" connotations that Bear doesnt carry, bust still, these guys are pretty twinktastic

Posted by: Astro | Nov 14, 2012 11:40:52 AM

7. They ARE twinks. Period.

Posted by: S. | Nov 14, 2012 12:15:59 PM

8. So, when did twinks become an offensive term? I thought anyone under 21, gay and fitting all the other A&F stereotypes fell into that category.

Posted by: Mikey | Nov 14, 2012 12:18:45 PM

9. seriously, grow a set, Cohen... call 'em twinks if you want

Posted by: CCGuy000 | Nov 14, 2012 12:19:30 PM

10. Hm... How some of you view "Twink" as not being offensive (when said to heterosexual men) is exactly how some heterosexuals feel about the word "fag". Not everyone who is straight considers that offensive or means to offend gay people when they say it, but still they're expected to apologize or feel sorry for using the word. I'm not defending the use of the word, I think it's just as disgusting as the "n" word (regardless of who says it), but all of this "It's not offensive" and "He shouldn't have apologized" crap is kind of hypocritical to me.

Posted by: Shaunie | Nov 14, 2012 12:30:09 PM

11. Who writes this stuff?? Twinks does not equal gay and it's not a completely mainstream acceptable term (you wouldn't tell your mom you're dating a twink even if YOU were a twink), it's not derogatory. Maybe a little sexist, but in this context I must say "room full of twinks" would be a perfectly acceptable gay slang description of a room full of 1D, gay or straight. By "cute" in his correction I think he meant "twinks"...

Posted by: Philipem | Nov 14, 2012 12:43:24 PM

12. twink IS sexual innuendo for being gay and one direction simply can't afford to be accused of being gay. the offense is that being gay is bad. screw this

Posted by: io | Nov 14, 2012 12:44:27 PM

13. in what alternate dimension is "twink" a derogatory insult?

is this like when you get those butt-hurt wimps who are like "i'm not gay! i'm a dude who's into other dudes!"?

they are twinks! non-gay or whatever, they're pretty young thins with flat stomachs and elaborately coiffed manes.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Nov 14, 2012 12:52:54 PM

14. @FENROX: This fool is NO Julian Clary!

Posted by: gregory | Nov 14, 2012 12:55:33 PM

15. To me, while "twink" usually means gay, young, and insipid, I have used it to describe straights.

I'm just surprised that a BRAVO executive is so ignorant about potential gay slang.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Nov 14, 2012 1:03:20 PM

16. Yeah, I feel to see how the word twink is derogatory.
    Somebody thought their manhood was being insulted (it wasn't) and got all defensive and made much ado over nothing.
    They should apologize for making him apologize! Homophobes, the lot of them! Haha. But no, really...kinda.

Posted by: Lucas H | Nov 14, 2012 1:38:54 PM

17. oops, feel=fail (SP!)

Posted by: Lucas H | Nov 14, 2012 1:41:50 PM

18. I'm with most others; since when is "twink" offensive? I don't really see why it matters, hell, I still prefer "fag" over any of the PC crap people spew today

Posted by: waywardson1 | Nov 14, 2012 1:58:54 PM

19. You have no idea how relieved I am that the grammar police are on the job. I am glad folks are out there policing my language because I obviously cannot self-moderate. Next up are the terms; Bear, Otter, Chub, Chaser, Sir, and Cub among a host of self-identifying terms among the subcultures of our community. Their objective is to scrub the English (and other) languages of any term that can be used in a detrimental way. Yes, "Twink" can be used in a derogatory way, but it also is used as a self-identifying term in the sub-culture. The lesson here is it is not the fault of the word or even the word choice (with some notable exceptions), it is the tone and manner in which the term is delivered.

Worst of all, politically correct language does not effectively change anything. Any word, even an innocuous or polite one may be used to convey disgust, distaste, and raw hatred. "Twink" is/was an innocuous term that some people may choose to deploy in a negative way.

Posted by: Jeff C. | Nov 14, 2012 2:58:26 PM

20. Among other things, twink means stupid. And thus it's offensive. We use it among ourselves, but would never call a young person that to his face. It's slightly disrespectful.
    Cohen has a lot more to apologize for than this. Like turning gay TV into shallow trash that makes us look like fools to the public. If I had my way, he'd be run out on a rail. But obviously, his trash sells in the ignorant community, so he's not going anywhere.

Posted by: Wilberforce | Nov 14, 2012 3:19:09 PM

21. Sounds like someone in 1D is severely closeted. Twink is hardly derogatory. Hell, diva and queen are harsher insults than twink.

Posted by: Steve | Nov 14, 2012 3:24:08 PM

22. This is beyond ridiculous.

Posted by: Jake Shears | Nov 14, 2012 3:32:12 PM

23. Straight folks like to make "twink" anything they want it to be. The occasional news reports confirm that at the Canadian border, it means "boy under 16".

I don't even want to guess what "Golden Girls" means to them.

Posted by: Randy | Nov 14, 2012 4:06:01 PM

24. "Twink" comes from "teen" and "hunk", meaning not muscular enough (yet) to be a hunk, but still sexy in an adolescent way. What's offensive about that?

Posted by: HERMES | Nov 14, 2012 4:23:27 PM

25. But they are a bunch of twinks?!

Posted by: jaragon | Nov 14, 2012 5:31:16 PM