Gay Marriage | Ken Hutcherson | News | NOM

BigGayDeal.com

Anti-Gay Pastor Ken Hutcherson Says Equally Anti-Gay NOM Too Much Like The GOP, 'Old And White'

Hutcherson

Virulently anti-gay preacher Ken Hutcherson has been increasingly vocal in his disdain of "sissified" discrimination groups that he says are too soft on gay people, including the National Organization for Marriage.

Now Hutcherson is saying that NOM and their prominent allies are racist. From Christian Post.

[Hutcherson went] as far as to accuse some of the outside leadership of racism, and felt they were excluding him because he was African-American.

"When I knew my involvement was going to generate controversy, I offered to step back and suggested others who were on the front lines do so as well for the sake of unity. They refused, leaving me as the odd man out. If you look at them, they were all the same color with the same moderate views. It just didn't make sense why they would not include a person of color who was willing to fight."

"I believe there are conservatives of all colors, but the leadership from NOM, Focus and Mission Public Affairs, wanted to run being a moderate campaign where everyone felt warm and fuzzy. But we know that sin is never satisfied and always wants more. These guys just looked and acted too much like the GOP – old and white."

NOM big-wig Brian Brown called Hutcherson's comments "absurd and reckless" and "not true." "Pastor Hutcherson wanted to work on an initiative and not a referendum which we thought was the best method," Brown claimed.

So what about those cynical attempts to play on racial divides to weaken progressive groups? Was that not racist?

[via Good As You]

Comments

1. Personally, I wonder if this pastor's anti-white rant against NOM isn't part of a plan to give the anti-gay cause a new image as tougher (less "sissified" as he calls it) and non-white in order to give it a boost within the black and Latino communities. Hutcherson may be "having a Sister Souljah" moment.

Posted by: Mary | Nov 18, 2012 11:05:30 PM

2. Don't get your panties in a twist, Caliban. I'm from the elder era and the culture has changed - just not everywhere or for everyone - Hutcherson being one of the more odious examples. Now it may be difficult for you to imagine now but it was not so long ago when effeminate men, particularly those of us with competitive corp careers, took classes to minimize noticeable behavior and blend in with the boys. It was serious business. Gay rumors derailed a hard-earned career, hands down. Now I know for a fact these classes are still offered today (and from what I hear just as pricey). Now I'm sure we all can admire your cavalier attitude but remember that every action carries a set of costs and benefits. The calculation is not the same for everyone. Drawing this post back to the original theme, and being quite frank, your being your own person carries one of our costs and operates to Hutcherson's benefit.

Posted by: R. Edward Travani | Nov 18, 2012 11:12:13 PM

3. I wonder what prompted this new idea that Uffda and I are the same person. I have said many times that I'm a visitor here and not part of the LGBT community. I have no personal stake in the "masculine vs. feminine gays" conflict. My concern about "prancing queens" vs. "men in suits" had to do solely with the latter helping to speed up progress by enabling straights to see gays as more threatening. And I deliberately avoided the claim that there was something wrong with femme gays. Nor did I say that their scaring off straights from being allies was their fault in any way. It's a matter of strategy.

I understand being referred to as a troll when I was opposed to gay marriage, but that's no longer the case now. Why does my presense here bother anyone? It's mainly because of all the time I spent on Towleroad that I switched sides and became pro-gay. If Andy Towle wants me to stop posting here he has only to email me with the request. Nor would I post under some other name. My main whine (i.e. "don't go too far or you'll alienate voters and gays of the future will be made to pay for it") would immediately give me away

Posted by: Mary | Nov 18, 2012 11:16:36 PM

4. Sure as hell sounds like REACTION FORMATION.

BTW as usual Liberty univeristy is a group whose main focus is hating on gay people

Posted by: BillyWingarten | Nov 18, 2012 11:26:50 PM

5. How many people can I possibly be? According to some on this board, I'm about five different people.

As for Ken Hutcherson, ship him back to Africa. He can take all similar-minded individuals from his community. He's actively seeking to destroy our rights.

Posted by: jason | Nov 18, 2012 11:28:01 PM

6. Mary, after reading your post I didn't know whether to laugh or weep. You have no way of realizing this but GLBTs have been "going too far" since the 60s. Back then the gentle warnings were more along the lines of "don't go to far or you'll alienate the police, prompt a crack-down, and then they'll throw you and all future gays in (or under) jail." Straights being uncomfortable around gays is nothing new and there would have been no progress for gays in either law or culture had our leaders taken advice like yours. For the record, a lot of GLBT people still knuckle-under to our opposition and prosper for it. That said, such antics aren't as necessary anymore and we're all quite happy that there are now some voices to challenge men like Hutcherson.

Posted by: R. Edward Travani | Nov 18, 2012 11:34:36 PM

7. @ R. Edward Travani, who here really has their "panties in a twist," me or you? In case you haven't noticed, it's 2012. There are openly gay CEOS of some of the largest corporations in the world and most competitive businesses have non-discrimination policies.

Of course behavior has consequences, but I'm talking about a natural tendency toward "effeminacy," which is not at all the same thing as being flamboyant. Outrageous behavior from ANYONE, straight or gay, male or female, is likely going to limit what they can achieve.

If effeminacy *does* have costs and consequences, and it well may, so does putting on a facade and being inauthentic. Not least that you've decided your real self is unacceptable, that you're looking to other people for validation, GIVING them that power over your life.

I don't know how old you are, but I've been around quite a while too. I've been on the receiving end of homophobia in my life and career, but I didn't slink away or start putting on an act. I stood up for myself and won. That really IS an option, you know.

Posted by: Caliban | Nov 18, 2012 11:51:23 PM

8. You gotta love the Bigot Black Preacher calling NOM Bigots. They're all assholes.

Posted by: Jim | Nov 19, 2012 12:03:16 AM

9. Caliban, no doubt openness and honesty was an option ... for some. Not for others, unfortunately. Perhaps there is something about engineering that draws conservative temperaments but in the every company where I've worked the majority opinion was that gay men need to be locked up. (That animus never seemed directed at lesbian women. Go figure.) By the way, you have it wrong about our giving our opposition power over us. We didn't see it that way, at least not in the cliques where I ran. We simply took responsibility for our own privacy and deception. You'd be surprised how well that worked.

Posted by: R. Edward Travani | Nov 19, 2012 12:03:40 AM

10. A sure sign they are losing the battle - they are fighting amongst themselves. All we do now is stand back and let them fall apart.

Posted by: Icebloo | Nov 19, 2012 12:06:19 AM

11. R. EDWARD TRAVANI

You're actually showing your homophobia with all your posts not only justifying this man's bigotry, but making blanket statements about fem gays, and horribly ignorant and hate laced remarks. In fact, your words actually remind me of another rancid poster on here named Christopher Allen Horton

Posted by: Mikel | Nov 19, 2012 12:07:59 AM

12. R. EDWARD TRAVANI = troll.

You're clearly one of Rick's other names. LOL This site is the running joke amongst the gay community who laugh at all the trolls with their multiple handles all going on crazy ass, insane rants about feminine gays. On other gay blogs? fem and masc gays get along peachy-keen and perfectly fine. On this site, the closet cases who take classes to de-fem themselves (WTF? Go back in the closet mother effer!) are writing rants about fems in every thread. It's truly hilarious!!

Posted by: Real Talk | Nov 19, 2012 12:11:38 AM

13. Mikel,

I have said absolutely nothing to justify Hutcherson's remarks or attitude. Any observations I've made about him have been tactical at best. Don't confuse description with judgement. It's a nasty habit. I'd actually like you to list my "horribly ignorant and hate-laced remarks", if you don't mind because the hyperbole with which you speak sounds more like a drive-by then any heartfelt opinion.

Posted by: R. Edward Travani | Nov 19, 2012 12:15:08 AM

14. Mary,
    Those femme gays are part of our community and those of us who are advocates and activists for true LGBT equality love them and we do not want your kind of acceptance that is conditional. You want to hand out gay people equality on your terms, all while you ask them to make their femme members feel less than. NO THANK YOU. We have femme members in our community and we stand hand in hand with them.
    You are a complete pest on here, that's why you get called out. You consistently target a new bracket of the gay population every week. It's either passionate gay activists, or it's gays who show public displays of affection, or now it's femme gays. Notice how your idea of equality always comes with "term limits" toward things that straight people get to do all the time. We as a community will never turn our backs on our femme gay members. Ever.
    Know that.

Posted by: Scott Johansen | Nov 19, 2012 12:16:17 AM

15. Mary/UFFDA
    You're an ignorant loss cause. You are not the voice of the straight person. You THINK you are, but you don't represent any straight person I know, or many people know. You are an fundmentalist, extremist, ignorant loon. Stop trying to paint yourself as a 'middle of the roader' while dishing out advice to us you old hag. You're the last person qualified to do that. How did it feel seeing us get our right through voter approval in three states when not long ago you said heterosexuals would never vote for gay marriage because the idea of gay sex disturbs them. You crusty old cow. YOU are officially the voice of a minority within your own heterosexual community.

Posted by: USC Trojan Fan | Nov 19, 2012 12:18:38 AM

16. Real Talk,

Sorry to disappoint you by I am very much myself and use only one handle. Perhaps you should read my posts a little more closely and realize that I was speaking of a previous time and culture and how it plays into how men like Hutcherson think and communicate their politics. And FYI, those of us who took classes to "de-fem" ourselves never left the closet, just like many naturally masculine gays (or is it MSM these days?) choose to live today.

Posted by: R. Edward Travani | Nov 19, 2012 12:22:15 AM

17. Mary:
    when you bash and belittle our feminine gay brothers, other than a very small sampling of crazy coo coo population like Rick/UFFDA/Jason, you're alienating many gay people, even those like me who are very masculine but I know the hardship my gay fem friends endure. I love them and respect them and would never ever want them to change in order for me to attain my rights. That is not part of my values,a nd thankfully not part of the majority of LGBT values.

While you keep serving up unwarranted, unnecessary, (and not asked for) advice to us, I advise you to go look up the history and meaning of the Rainbow flag before you spew bull about how the LGBT community needs to adopt a discriminatory policy within it's own community toward it's own members. Go do your own research and investigative reporting for once, and learn about how the entire history of LGBT revolves around embracing diversity, including non conformative gays, including butch lesbians and fem gays. That will always be, and thank Goodness for that. The key to equality is not changing the inherent nature of those seeking equality, but changing the superiority complex of folks like you who want people to change their livelihood for your pleasure. Sorry, you lost in 4 states last week.
    Salt with that crow dear?

Posted by: 2 Dads | Nov 19, 2012 12:23:29 AM

18. Nice to see Ken and NOM's hatred of each other is stronger than their hate for us. Please continue to devour each other until nothing is left.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Nov 19, 2012 12:25:32 AM

19. LOL Mary you just gone got yourself a verbal papsmear by 2 Dads!

and a well deserved one.

And b-tch, I'm fem and proudly so, been working for equality through campaigns, fundraisers and making a difference in my surroundings for over a decade now. I know the difference I made, and the many, many minds I changed, and I didn't need to 'butch it up' to do that, because unlike you, the people's who's minds I changed learned to accept diversity in all it's forms realizing that someone's mannerisms and walking and talking style does not define their character. You think you're a far better human than you are, but many of us recognize you for the bigoted, ignorant hate monger you are. You will get yours in life. Karma will be sure of that.

Posted by: A.J | Nov 19, 2012 12:26:28 AM

20. People on here can be really dense. I never, not once, said that any segment of the gay community should be shunned or ignored or harmed by any other segment. NOT ONCE. I was talking about what straight people will SEE as the gay community. And I don't want acceptance of "my" terms. I just know that certain images help and certain images make the fight harder to win.

I suppose it's hypocritical for me to assume that "Scott Johansen" is an alias for someone else on Towleroad since I object when someone else thinks I'm Uffda, Rick, Jason, etc... But "Scott" are you a TJ alias? TJ has made these same charges against me and his words seem eerily similar to yours.

And by the way, how does the gay rights cause advance if anyone who switched from anti-gay to pro-gay is now a "pest" for simply giving advice you don't like?

Posted by: Mary | Nov 19, 2012 12:29:22 AM

21. R. EDWARD TRAVANI,
    Cut the pompous chatter. You're trying to marganalize feminine gay men and many posters above are saying, judging feminine gays for being feminine is no different than a straight person judging a gay person for not being straight. In both cases, a party that feels they are a 'majority' and entitled, demands the other group to change who they are or not attain respect & rights. A gay person demanding respect has no room to then turn and lecture feminine gays about how they should be acting more masculine. That thinking right there is what set the gay community back and creates friction amongst each other. We as a group want to preach to others about acceptance yet we can't so much tolerate and accept fem gays within our own community? Of course, a majority of LGBT don't think like this, and it's usually insecure closet cases with deep rooted self hate issues.
    I know dozens upon dozens of gays and not a single one of them takes issue at all with feminine gays. They realize that true diversity and true equality means just that.

Posted by: Dynex | Nov 19, 2012 12:33:10 AM

22. LOL @ the gay communities weird fixation over femininity and masculinity. Masculine "str8 acting" gays always want to police others around. And I say this as someone who is passable hetero, but damn. Live and let live. Why you so concerned that other gays are fem? they got a right to be just as you got a right to be gay and sleep with the same sex. gays judging other gays for not being straight enough or 'normal' enough. Now thats rich.

Posted by: Amir S. | Nov 19, 2012 12:35:00 AM

23. A.J.,

I hope you're right. I really do. Just call me a cynic but I've never seen anyone actually change their feelings about LGBT folks although I have seen them learn to keep their mouths shut about it. (I guess that's progress too.) In any case, few reasonable people believe these days that a person's style defines their moral character. That said, clever manipulators like Hutcherson take gleeful advantage of the stereotype to feed the fears and prejudices of unreasonable people. My post was about being aware of it.

Posted by: R. Edward Travani | Nov 19, 2012 12:35:47 AM

24. Mary,
    you have as much credibility here as my dogs fart on a summer day in a bath tub. Really now. You seriously have our oddity in you confused with interest. Most of us chalk you up as a misinformed know it all, who doesn't know much at all. You're the comic relief on here. You're life must be very pathetic if it involves sitting on a gay website day in and day out to an audience who views you as buffoonery. And you've listened so much to your talking points from Rick that you started to buy into your own drivel. Most gays, and by most, I mean millions, have feminine gay friends. Many have even dated feminine gays. They are, have been, and will always be part of the gay community. They come with the package. And as others said, we're not dependent on you for changing minds. You are old. You're way past the age bracket where we care to make a difference on. It's the younger generation, many of whom have fem gay friends and couldn't care less about gay marriage, who we've won over and have made great progress in. You speak for a rural, aged, ignorant demographic that most of us don't even bother with. Now back to writing wikipedia novels about "what gays should be doing instead of what they are doing"......remember, dog fart.

Posted by: YoGabGaba | Nov 19, 2012 12:40:40 AM

25. Dynex,

You are simply dead wrong and need to get off your high-horse for a moment; perhaps read what I wrote. To clarify, I am not trying to marginalize effetes. From my perspective we have always been marginalized. If I've had one theme running through my posts it has been to ask the question why, in this day and age, our naturally masculine brothers still feel the need to abandon us and closet themselves to varying degrees.

Posted by: R. Edward Travani | Nov 19, 2012 12:43:22 AM