Gay Marriage | Ken Hutcherson | News | NOM

Anti-Gay Pastor Ken Hutcherson Says Equally Anti-Gay NOM Too Much Like The GOP, 'Old And White'

Hutcherson

Virulently anti-gay preacher Ken Hutcherson has been increasingly vocal in his disdain of "sissified" discrimination groups that he says are too soft on gay people, including the National Organization for Marriage.

Now Hutcherson is saying that NOM and their prominent allies are racist. From Christian Post.

[Hutcherson went] as far as to accuse some of the outside leadership of racism, and felt they were excluding him because he was African-American.

"When I knew my involvement was going to generate controversy, I offered to step back and suggested others who were on the front lines do so as well for the sake of unity. They refused, leaving me as the odd man out. If you look at them, they were all the same color with the same moderate views. It just didn't make sense why they would not include a person of color who was willing to fight."

"I believe there are conservatives of all colors, but the leadership from NOM, Focus and Mission Public Affairs, wanted to run being a moderate campaign where everyone felt warm and fuzzy. But we know that sin is never satisfied and always wants more. These guys just looked and acted too much like the GOP – old and white."

NOM big-wig Brian Brown called Hutcherson's comments "absurd and reckless" and "not true." "Pastor Hutcherson wanted to work on an initiative and not a referendum which we thought was the best method," Brown claimed.

So what about those cynical attempts to play on racial divides to weaken progressive groups? Was that not racist?

[via Good As You]

Comments

1. And by the way, I'll lay money that the answer is exactly the same one we've heard for the last 50 years.

Posted by: R. Edward Travani | Nov 19, 2012 12:49:03 AM

2. It's simple Mary, and you've got to be willing to open your mind to grasp this concept others above are trying to outline (albeit, not in the most effective way)

Feminine gays are a matter of fact, not opinion, in our world. Many of them are not obnoxious beings, as your other posts indicated, but simply and very naturally, they were wired to be more on the fem side. That does not make them less valuable, less worthy, less dignified. From my personal experiences, my fem gay male friends have been some of the most cultured, worldly, creative and gentle spirits I've met. You're confusing flamboyence with feminine, and you're constantly making generalizations against fem gays all the while. That deservedly needs to be brought to your attention.

Moreover, what you preach isn't really helpful for the gay community. Making our fem gay participants of our community go in to hiding to appease others, all while pretending they don't exist, all while pretending they aren't part of the gay community is factually flawed, and ethically vile at best. That's not who we are as a people. They exist. Many of them exist in wonderful manners, as I mentioned above. And because they exist, and because they are often wonderful, there is no reason they shouldn't be exposed to the greater heterosexual world. In fact, what is fundementally flawed in your view is that you're requesting for less exposure of certain types of gay people, when it's MORE exposure of all attributes of gays that enables everyone to grasp that no two people were made the same, and this world certainly is large enough to handle our differences.

Sameness, and respect being afforded under the premise of sameness is rather cryptic. Wouldn't you say?

Something for you to think about.

Posted by: Southern-Bobby | Nov 19, 2012 12:49:44 AM

3. SOUTHERN-BOBBY,

That was beautifully stated and my reaction could be described as "Oh ... if only...". Now if all people were so high-minded as yourself.

Posted by: R. Edward Travani | Nov 19, 2012 12:54:22 AM

4. Mary,
    I've seen you, and UFDA, and Rick make the same points in circles without much logic in relation to effiminate gays. Firstly, I think even discussing other people's mannerisms in such great detail is pretty shameful when it's someones heart & soul that should define them, but let's delve in this.
    Where I've noticed you go wrong in your postings, and you haven't been capable of checking yourself on is your inability to make the distinction between traits you don't appreciate in a person (someone who is loud, obnoxious, mean, flashy) to effiminate men. Those things are mutually exclusive. Instead of clarifying that, you make blanket statements about all effiminate gays. In a time when our community is embracing our effiminate gays considering they have been made to feel like outcasts. Not all effiminate gays are what you are trying to portray them as, and that speaks more about your own ignorance and lack of genuine exposure to effiminate gays, as it does about them.

Posted by: LazerLightBeam | Nov 19, 2012 12:54:27 AM

5. Mary,
    I haven't read this exchange, and refuse to. But if it's like any of your other exchanges with the members of this site, it usually starts with you making sweeping generalizations about the gay community, coupled with a self indulgent lecture about how the community needs to take your expertise as gospel, then concludes with you feeling victimized that people take offense to your arrogance and let you know it. Your intentions are not and never were as noble as you make them out to be, and one simple search of your many comments in the past illustrate that.

Posted by: Michelle | Nov 19, 2012 12:57:48 AM

6. I am a life long liberal democrat and an out and proud gay man. I live in the gayest neighborhood in the city and volunteer at an LGBT center. My MD, Dentist and barber are gay. I rarely go to any bar or restaurant that isn't gay owned or real gay friendly. I contribute to various gay organizations. I take a backseat to no one who posts on this site in my committment to the LGBT Community. But I will say that I am sickened by the meanspirited demagogues who in the name of being pro LGBT folks go for the jugular and seek to verbally destroy any who disagree with them. All of you: Little Kiwi, Genuinecarel, a j, 2 dads, usc trojan fan, art smith, jackson,dynex, yogabgaba, scott johansen mikel et al are a disgrace. You are all Donald Trumps of the left. You seek to destroy all who disagree with you. I wouldn't be caught dead in the same room with any of you. And I realize that some of these names all identify Little Kiwi, the most malevolent of the lot of you.

Posted by: andrew | Nov 19, 2012 1:25:06 AM

7. I'll explain what I meant, which may not have corresponded well to what I actually wrote! What I meant by "prancing queens" was not femme gays but men who almost look as if they were auditioning for the circus. Right-wingers love when people like this march in gay pride parades because they know how it turns off Middle America. I was referring to DRESS, not speech or mannerisms. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

When I wrote that post I was thinking of how showing these eccentric types in anti-gay literature increasingly won't work because mainstream society is starting to see this as mean-spirited stereotyping. And this new perspective is GOOD because the only other alternative is to show gay men as they really are, which doesn't scare anyone. I was thinking of how it is now difficult for anti-gay activists to scare people by showing two men marrying as long as those two men look reasonably conventional in how they dress and behave. The more people see gay couples wed, the less shocking it is to them. So it means that anti-gay activists can't really use imagery anymore to win people over. This development is a step forward for gay rights because images are powerful. That's all. It wasn't a call to make any segment of the gay community into sacrificial lambs in the quest for straight acceptance.

My bad. I've done this literary equivalent of "foot in the mouth" before. I guess I better not ever apply for membership in PFLAG!

Southern-Bobby, thanks for at least being civil.

But Michelle, if it's arrogant of me to think the gay community should take my advice, isn't it arrogant of you to assume that you know what my intentions are?

Posted by: Mary | Nov 19, 2012 1:37:10 AM

8. Andrew,
    While I am a little disappointed at some of the slapdash responses I've received and also somewhat put-off by the threaded assumption that everyone shares the same values, I'm not buying ONE WORD of your post.

Posted by: R. Edward Travani | Nov 19, 2012 1:38:43 AM

9. @R. Edward Travani: Whoever you are, would it surprise you to know that I don't give a f*ck?

Posted by: andrew | Nov 19, 2012 1:59:00 AM

10. Andrew,

Sorry but if that were true you wouldn't have responded at all. In any case, I'm me - the one and only. Now please take your sour grapes over being pegged as a poser, buy yourself a decent cheese, and make some whine to go with it.

Posted by: R. Edward Travani | Nov 19, 2012 2:02:08 AM

11. @R. Edward Travani: IT is my combative nature. When someone calls me a liar, I get f*cking angry, I don't remain silent. You are you - the one and only. Who gives a rat's a*s?

Posted by: andrew | Nov 19, 2012 2:24:17 AM

12. Andrew,
    nice try but I don't take my ques from someone like you who uses the term "f*ggot" casually in front of heterosexuals to fit in. I don't take my inspiration from you, the person who thinks it's cute to say gay as a pejorative ("that's so gay") I don't think someone like you is qualified to comment when you can't understand why sayings like "alternative lifestyle" are damaging. Your anger is misdirected. You want to proudly display anti gay antics like the ones mentioned above, then consistently throw a fit when people dare call them inappropriate. You can hang out with as many gays as you want to, but trust and believe, behind your back, they have very little respect for someone who has such little respect for the gay community.

Posted by: Kyle | Nov 19, 2012 3:00:36 AM

13. @ Andrew
    I don't even know who little kiwi is, but I do think it's amusing people like you and Jason have made him the poster child of everything pro gay, and in your quest to bash him, you revert to sitting on the fence of most pro gay issues. You have one foot in the side of our side, while another foot passionately defending the phobes. And you do it all the time, so spare us the melodramatics. You should be ashamed of your actions during the Chik Fil A episode. You tried to guilt gay people in feeling bad about understandably being passionate about a company that donated millions in stripping their rights away, while advocating for the murders of gays overseas. YOU have no loyalty to LGBT, and are indifferent about our plight. Don't demand all of us adopt your indifference. We won't.

Posted by: Art Smith | Nov 19, 2012 3:03:53 AM

14. Andrew-
    I think I'd be more ashamed to pretend to be for gays, when every time a bigot, or homophobe opens their mouth, it's oddly enough you chimming in saying "the homophobe has every right to be a homophobe" then backing it up with a laundry list of trying to silence gay people. And that's really your mission here. To get us to be as complacent as you are. I'm thrilled others are noticing this pattern in your posts.

Your threads have nothing to contribute on here except for advocating for more ignorant speech toward LGBT, and the lame childish anti gay buzz words like 'that's so gay' as another person above pointed out. If anyone should second guess their values, it's a grown man pretending to be on our side when it suites him (in the bedroom?) but than runs and makes pathetic ignorant remarks about gay people with gay slurs. You have a bipolar way of going about things and resent that people took a mirror and put it right in front of your face.

Posted by: USC Trojans Fan | Nov 19, 2012 3:07:27 AM

15. Does anyone notice the pattern between these posters.....

Rick, Ratbastard, Jason, Mary, UFFDA, and Andrew....?

They all sure have so much opinionated chatter about flaws regarding our community. They sure have a list of things wrong with our community. They sure are happy to highlight all the perceived negatives of our community, and very eager to write a journal on here about them. Notice that pattern? Notice the people who highlight the negatives about a race, while overlooking all the positives are usually called a racist. Not much different between those people and the posters I listed above. For you see, the anti-gay individual thrives off attempting to belittle the gay community. Demoralizing gays is their way of weaken the strength that is our community. It's done with a calculating hidden agenda that shoul not be so hidden anymore. Every single one of them ends their song & dance with "just because I like to highlight the negatives about the gay community doesn't mean you all should challenge me on it. After all, I'm entitled to an opinion"....yes, and you're also entitled to be called out for your ignorance. Freedom of speech does NOT mean freedom from criticism. Act a fool, you'll be called one. We know your ploy, and we know your tactics. Your disdain for gays pours over on here and we see it. You, and I too am assuming you're the same poster, resent positive reinforcement toward the gay community. Tough luck.

Our community is winning the culture war. We are on television, media, radio, magazines, online blogs, the works. That includes very feminine gays (notice how they all also have that disdain in common). You are slowly the new minority group. The gay community - all of it, including the camp and fem and crazy and fun and silly and young and old, is achieving far & wide acceptance across the board. Your pessimistic agenda of attempting to weaken us lost. Wave good bye.

Posted by: Duration & Convexity | Nov 19, 2012 3:14:50 AM

16. I'm nuetral on the masculine vs. feminine debates. But I will say, as an outsider looking in, the so called "masculine" crowd who in ad hominem tries to make fem gays seem dramatic are the most dramatic themselves. Has anyone ever noticed that? I don't see fem gays going on tirades about masculine gays walking in a room like so and so. Yet the so called masculine gays will sit here and go on a never ending hissy-fit over their observations of feminine gays. I know many fem gays. They are not like the way "masculine" gays try to make them out to be. Notice how I put "masculine" in quotes. Because truly masculine gay men like me are comfortable enough in our manhood to not need to knock down fem gays to feel more 'manly' That's lame. Just like truly straight men are comfortable enough in their sexuality to befriend gay men and not care that they are gay. It's the closet cases that are the most homophobic. And in our community,it's the closeted fems (trust me, get these "str8 acting" types behidn closed doors and see just how fem they are) who are not very secure in who they are, hence the need to resent and hate on fem gays for being secure enough to face this world and just be.

Posted by: Cuban Delight | Nov 19, 2012 3:23:01 AM

17. From my experience: those actually involved in the community, and non profit LGBT related causes, and do-good experiences in our community are not the ones hung up on fems, and age, and race, and other things you read about on here.

Truly, my friends and I always talk about how the comments section of the gay blogs are completely foreign to the true experience of being in the valuable gay community. By valuable, I mean aspects of the gay community that are centered around volunteering, campaigning, activism, social gatherings, groups, events, book clubs. Ever join one of these? You should! I have for the past 12 years, a multitude of them. ALL you see is fem gays socializing with masculine gays, with white gays, and middle eastern gays, and older gays, and younger gays, and buff gays, and chubby gays....truly...try it sometime. Put yourself in the REAL community, outside the rants of these comments section, and see how wonderful and diverse our REAL community is. The comments section usually attract a number of people whose only exposure to gays is this site, and that's by choice, hence they have their minds made up on fem gays, and black gays, and trans people, and will gladly show their ignorance.

Please don't think these clowns are reflective of the gay community.
    Join one of the mentioned venues cattering toward gay people and see how beautifully the REAL gay community co-exists with one another, be they fem, butch, fat, old, young, brown, white, or everything in between. Those of us who know our rainbow flag respect what it stands for.

Posted by: WorldShiner | Nov 19, 2012 3:34:29 AM

18. @WorldShiner

Beautifully said. Agree with every word!!

Posted by: Michelle | Nov 19, 2012 3:34:57 AM

19. WorldShiner,
    Thank you! I needed to hear that. And from my experiences too, your words are very true.

Posted by: Steve-ATL | Nov 19, 2012 3:35:32 AM

20. WorldShiner-
    Wish those kind fo gays who are open minded and open hearted would visit sites like this more often, to balance out the negative nellies who constantly want to bash some segment of the gay population, but I also realize those gays are actually living their lives. Not commenting about other people's life on the internet.
    Live and let live is what keeps life enjoyable for me.

Posted by: Prime-ultra-Dude | Nov 19, 2012 3:39:12 AM

21. Wow...can I still weigh in? Mary, you're a big fat phony. Me thinks you protesteth too much. You sure spend a lot of time on a gay website for being a hetero woman, if that's what you are calling yourself. Gosh, the internet is just amazing...all I need is a keyboard and I can be anything I want!

I digress...I am fond of more masculine men. I like men. It's just the way I am. I do not care for over-the-top nelly queens. They are too loud and get on my nerves. But, to each their own. I certainly wouldn't hate someone just because they are effeminate...the same way I would not automatically like someone just because they are "butch". It's deeper than that, at least for me.

I do hope this is the beginning of the end of these hate groups. Hopefully, they will see the error of spending all that money just to hate. We won in a big, big way on 11/6. They lost in a big, big way, even after pouring millions of hate dollars onto the fire. It did not work. Let me repeat, it did not work. They did not get their money's worth...that makes them really, really mad. Just sit back and watch, during the next few months, as they continue to take swipes at each other, failing to realize every time they do, they take a swipe at their own credibility. Once that is gone, they are truly toast.

Posted by: millerbeach | Nov 19, 2012 3:42:41 AM

22. Mary,

I'm feminine. Very feminine. Very gay. And very instrumental in helping push for pro gay legislation by advocating through elected officials in my town. Talking to residents. Making phone calls, and helping create a mental shift in my small town. My one experience discredits all your ignorant sentiments about fem gays. What this fem gay has managed to do in his town is more than any of your wishful thinking 'machismo' gay man could dream of. You have a lot to say on here, but you'd do so much better if you sat back and conceded to the fact that you have far more to learn. You've demonstrated in recent posts that you're far less willing to learn about the gay community and the instrumental players pushing for advancement in it like myself, than you are of just being heard. You may enjoy the sound of your own voice, but we have two ears and one mouth to listen and learn in life more than talk-talk-talk-talk-talk.
    Signed,
    That feminine gay man, who is proud to be who I am, and proud to have made the stellar difference in my region all while not selling out on who I am.

Posted by: Patrick | Nov 19, 2012 3:48:35 AM

23. Well Patrick, you are a testament to what progress can mean ... assuming you've told us the truth about yourself.

I'll be honest. I can hear your words and applaud your accomplishments but it's never going to be "real" to me. If you had tried talking to my neighbors back when I was in my teens you would have ended up in the hospital (or under it).

Anyway, keep fighting the good fight and more power to ya.

Posted by: R. Edward Travani | Nov 19, 2012 4:08:17 AM

24. I agree with Phil & Bill - let those guys 'eat' each other. Turn about is fair play as we (Democrats) have done that for far too long.

Posted by: jhr459 | Nov 19, 2012 4:39:47 AM

25. Hang in there Mary. Use KIWI's example, of all things. It doesn't matter one bit whether you're right or wrong, old or young etc. Stand right up and fight back If you want to. You have always had an essentially compassionate voice and a wise one. As Rick has accurately pointed out a whole lot of gay men are not particularly healthy people and you've been hearing from a lot of them. Many are not going to be able to hear anything in a balanced way.

The strength of this site is still it's diversity in addition to the fact that if you find it distressing all you have to do is stop reading its posts.

BTW PATRICK'S story above is exceptionally poignant, even heroic, as well as inspirational. I have always said that naturally feminine men have a right and good place in the world. On balance it's clear to me that you agree.

Posted by: UFFDA | Nov 19, 2012 6:57:12 AM