Football | Gay Slurs | MLS | News

Seattle Sounders Player Marc Burch Gets Three Game Suspension, Fine from MLS for Anti-Gay Slur: VIDEO

Burch

Seattle Sounders defender Marc Burch was suspended for three games, ordered to attend sensitivity training, and fined an undisclosed amount by Major League Soccer after a camera caught him mouthing a homophobic slur during a game against Real Salt Lake last week, SB Nation reports:

With MLS involved in a television campaign aimed at stopping racism, sexism and homophobia, it would have been a huge surprise had Burch got away without a ban. The suspension means that the 28-year-old will miss both legs of Seattle's conference final against the LA Galaxy, as well as the MLS Cup Final itself should the Sounders make it that far.

Burch issued an apology for the slur:

"I apologize for my horrific choice of words last night during our match. This is something that is inconsistent with my family values and because of that I am both disappointed and embarrassed by my level of poor judgment. I take seriously my role as a leader in the community and this is completely regrettable and unacceptable. Character matters and I hope through hard work on and off the field to begin earning your respect and trust again."

Watch the moment that got Burch in trouble, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. It's always great when these sports clubs/teams take this seriously so I applaud them for making a stand. The tide of public opinion is definitely changing in our favor.

However I don't for one second believe the player is sincere in his apology which someone else has obviously written for him

Posted by: Icebloo | Nov 13, 2012 6:07:28 PM

2. Wrong town to be running your mouth talking trash and insulting the 'mos. Stupid jock!

Posted by: KevInPDX | Nov 13, 2012 6:10:05 PM

3. I applaud him for being a man and just apologizing. None of that, "if anyone was offended", BS.

Posted by: Derek Washington | Nov 13, 2012 6:23:51 PM

4. That's a strong penalty, unlike what we saw with the Yunel Escobar drama (although that was mostly as a result of a likely appeal by Escobar if the penalty was stiffer)

Obviously, the fact these athletes keep using slurs such as this is disgusting, but the fact they are being taken to task each and every time they do means things are getting better. Homophobia isn't simply being allowed to happen unchecked anymore. Hopefully Mr. Burch learns from his mistake.

Posted by: Francis | Nov 13, 2012 6:28:17 PM

5. When push comes to shove, liberals always utter homophobic slurs.

Posted by: jason | Nov 13, 2012 6:35:17 PM

6. When push comes to shove, 4-year olds make assumptions and hit-and-run political statements where no politics are involved without any substantiation or way to be held accountable for their own fantasy-based allegations.

Posted by: MikeInSanJose | Nov 13, 2012 6:44:12 PM

7. He needs to talk to Roger Levesque.

Posted by: Sammy | Nov 13, 2012 6:44:51 PM

8. What an idiot! Missing the playoffs and potentially the championship game is a huge deal for these players.

Posted by: endo | Nov 13, 2012 6:53:27 PM

9. @Jason - and conservatives put them right into their political platforms.

Posted by: Sammy | Nov 13, 2012 7:35:18 PM

10. Well at least he doesn't seem genuinely homophobic. Words slip out, I give him a pass, it's not nearly as infuriating as the athletes that make anti gay videos and pretend it's OK because the bible hates us too.

Posted by: NeverEclipsed81 | Nov 13, 2012 7:37:51 PM

11. I agree with Derek W - at least he knows how to apologize. I don't care if he wrote it or even if he believes it. The apology is unequivocal, with no 'anyone who was offended' backhands.

Posted by: Dan | Nov 13, 2012 8:02:44 PM

12. Good. But I think a one game suspension would be more appropriate. And I don't like the required sensitivity training. It sounds too much like the re-education centers that have existed in some authoritarian countries.

Posted by: andrew | Nov 13, 2012 8:51:17 PM

13. Kind of exhausting. They do it, get caught, and then apologize. I just want to shake these guys...YOU DON'T BLURT CRAP LIKE THAT OUT UNLESS IT RESONATES WITH YOU ON SOME LEVEL! I need to stop clicking on these articles. I'm going to get an ulcer.

Posted by: daws | Nov 13, 2012 9:08:31 PM

14. Because gays never use these words....so hypocritical....

Posted by: Alan Brickman | Nov 13, 2012 9:19:43 PM

15. Seattle Sounders season ticket holder here. Based on the performance in game one of this suspension, it's probably already cost the team a chance at the championship.
    And Burch had it coming and I'm glad the league took the action. Hopefully, he won't be back next year. Pity, cause he's a bit of a hottie.

Posted by: Sean | Nov 13, 2012 10:08:55 PM

16. ..."words slip out"? Well, yes; especially words one MEANS.

Posted by: Kile Ozier | Nov 13, 2012 10:13:23 PM

17. Good apology - none of that "if I may have offended anyone" crap. Let's accept it and move on.

Posted by: phil | Nov 14, 2012 12:25:19 AM

18. You said it right, you said it best, DAWS.

Posted by: nikko | Nov 14, 2012 2:09:48 AM

19. Fa*got is the new Ni*ger.

Just don't say it any more. OK?

Posted by: johnny | Nov 14, 2012 5:13:06 AM

20. I don't insist that people actually be sorry when they are caught uttering homophobic slurs - but I insist that they act *as if* they are sorry. So...apology accepted.

Posted by: Yeek | Nov 14, 2012 6:41:17 AM

21. That's lame, he should just apologize. Words used in anger are unfortunate but not a proper measure of the person using them. Gandhi would say the f-word if in the right situation too.

Posted by: Fenrox | Nov 14, 2012 12:17:11 PM

22. @Fenrox : "Words used in anger are unfortunate but not a proper measure of the person using them."
    Not in my experience. I have found out more about what people truly believe from what they have said in anger - because they don't care about trying to appear socially acceptable. I do acknowledge, however, that some people can be tremendous liars when they are angry and can say things just to be hurtful.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Nov 14, 2012 2:03:01 PM

23. to Diogenes' point, remember when Mel Gibson was like "Sorry, i was drunk"

i dunno. i've been drunk. i've been high as a kite. and at no point in either inebriated state have i blamed Jews for all the wars in the world.

it aint the booze. and in this story it aint the anger - true colours get revealed by what you spew.

all those racist tweets about Obama after the election, excused with "I'm not a racist, i just think Obama's a socialist n***er"?

yeah. sure. no racism in there. it was just the heat of the moment.
    sure.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Nov 14, 2012 2:18:53 PM

24. Do some of you really mean to write that you've NEVER said something in anger that in the heat of the moment that you later regretted? Spare me the hypocrisy!

Based on what I've seen from Sounders fans and some of the language used in the apology -- "horrified" -- being a prime example, I think the apology was not only a good apology, it was genuine. I also applauded MLS for reacting as decisively as they did with a strong penalty made all the stronger by the fact that it cost Birch a chance to play in an MLS Cup final.

Posted by: Mike | Feb 9, 2013 4:25:14 PM