Football (American) | Gay Slurs | News | Sports | Tank Carder

Cleveland Browns Says It Has 'Made Very Clear' to Tank Carder That They Don't Condone the Word 'Faggot'

Yesterday I posted a flurry of tweets from Cleveland Browns linebacker Tank Carder in which he used the word "faggot" in an exchange with another user and followed it up with several non-apologies and this statement:

Tank_carder"I don't agree with being gay or lesbian at all, but saying faggot doesn't make me a homophobe, it's just a word."

Today, the Cleveland Browns issued a statement:

"These comments are certainly not reflective of the Cleveland Browns organization, nor do we condone them in any fashion. We have spoken with Tank and have made this very clear to him."

And Carder has issued yet another non-apology on Twitter:

"I was not bashing the gay community in any way...if you knew me you would know I wouldn't do that. Again I'm sorry if you were offended"

Writes Outsports of the Browns' statement: "I assume the Browns and the NFL don’t believe that’s the end of it. A statement from the Browns is a good start, not the end of this."

PREVIOUSLY...
Browns Linebacker Tank Carder Calls Someone a 'Faggot' on Twitter, Doesn't Agree with Being Gay, Apologizes [tlrd]

Comments

1. "I was not bashing the gay community in any way...if you knew me you would know I wouldn't do that."

Clearly the "faggot" expression came from somewhere within himself. He needs to take a look inside and determine why he felt compelled to use derogatory language against us.

Posted by: Gast | Nov 27, 2012 12:15:12 PM

2. Make it hurt his pocketbook. That's the best way to approach it.

Posted by: Sean in Dallas | Nov 27, 2012 12:19:25 PM

3. And you are a hate filled bigot and no, I don't care IF I offended your Neanderthal community.

And , Tank, "agreeing" with being gay or lesbian makes no sense whatever; who's asking you to agree ? I guess you don't agree that the world is not flat or that outside Cleveland there are people who think you're a turd.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Nov 27, 2012 12:20:24 PM

4. well, his use of "faggot" followed by, uh, that odd lil'comment 'bout gays and lesbians makes it clear what his true colours are.

and they be ugggly.

see also: the post-election tweets from racists dropping N-bombs and then saying "but i aint racist!"

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Nov 27, 2012 12:20:32 PM

5. Tank Carder, you are a hate-filled dumbass. I'm sorry, in advance, if you are offended by that.

Posted by: chris | Nov 27, 2012 12:21:11 PM

6. Ugh... ignorance at its finest.

Posted by: Lucas H | Nov 27, 2012 12:21:20 PM

7. What is it with these macho-tough-man jocks that are such huge pu**ies that they can't even man up and give a real apology?

I've known some real effeminate men who knew more about being a man than these little boys in men's bodies.

Posted by: Ricco | Nov 27, 2012 12:23:00 PM

8. I love 'em scruffy! And a little dumb ain't too bad either.

Posted by: Craig | Nov 27, 2012 12:29:01 PM

9. "I'm sorry if anyone was offended" - This is my most hated over-used quote in the English language. Along with "It is what it is" - both meaningless. He is cute, though.

Posted by: tom | Nov 27, 2012 12:39:47 PM

10. Using faggot doesn't make him a homophobe. It makes him an ignorant @sshole.

Posted by: ChristopherM | Nov 27, 2012 12:44:48 PM

11. They can't give a real apology because they're usually not actually sorry and have been told to apologize by their agent, or after backlash. They're not sorry, and in this case, Tank clearly isn't at all sorry for what he said. Tank Carder is another garden variety redneck homophobe. Good to see the Browns organization on top of the situation, but a statement isn't enough. Action needs to be taken here.

You would think, after we've seen players like Yunel Escobar, Kobe Bryant, Marc Burch, punished harshly for their anti-gay slurs/actions, that athletes would know better than to continue to make homophobic comments. You would think their agents, their PR people, would make sure they don't say something anti-gay, given the fact, finally, homophobic comments are being called out and admonished. But they don't know any better. Homophobia is still alive and well in the sports world.

Posted by: Francis | Nov 27, 2012 12:48:03 PM

12. JackFknTwist, there are plenty of people IN Cleveland who think this clown is a turd. Tank needs to have a good long talk with Scott Fujita. But before that, Tank needs to be suspended.

Posted by: Hank | Nov 27, 2012 1:10:42 PM

13. GOD! HE IS SO BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

I DON'T CARE WHAT HE CALLS ME. I SHALL LICK THE SWEAT OFF OF HIS STINKY BALLS ANY OLD DAY

(says THE QUEEN as she sinks to her knees in abject adoration)

Posted by: THE QUEEN | Nov 27, 2012 1:19:27 PM

14. Obviously homophobic people in nearly any field, but especially athletics, are rich and stupid and likely either spend a lot of time in some awful church or do a ton of drugs. Those are their decisions---I couldn't care less---but they do need better PR people. But football requires getting hit in the head a lot, so it's not a big surprise.

And no, he's not cute.

Posted by: Paul R | Nov 27, 2012 1:22:28 PM

15. ...just another lowbrow knuckle dragger. speak slow and use little words.

Posted by: stan | Nov 27, 2012 1:22:44 PM

16. Me thinks he doth protest too much.

BTW - he needs a gay to show him how to use tweezers on that unibrow.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Nov 27, 2012 1:27:27 PM

17. I'm sick of these silly apologies. He should stand by his words and let whoever is mad be mad. It's not like he used that language during a game. It was on his own Twitter account. I guess that's just the price you pay when you're a celebrity, but IRL non-celebrities who tweet the word "faggot", or make unfriendly comments towards gays don't apologize for it, even when they're taken to task. Making celebrities do it seems disingenuous; like the media is trying to forge this perception that homophobia no longer exists -- or if it does, the perpetrator is quickly reformed and see's the light. So many gays buys into this phony friendliness, thinking that homophobia is basically over...and then are dumbfounded when stories of gay-bashing (like that lesbian at Thanksgiving), countries advocating prison/death to its gay citizens (like Uganda) and gay teen suicide still happen.

It's what I HATE about the media and corporate business world. It's causing people to put their heads in the cloud and let down their guard. The reality is that not everyone is going to like you and most of the time those who don't make no apologies for it, no matter how superficial their reasons may be.

Posted by: Tony | Nov 27, 2012 1:53:50 PM

18. Instead of "if I offended.." try this:

"I know I offended many people, and for that I am truly sorry and ashamed."

There's no IF about it.

Posted by: Jacques | Nov 27, 2012 2:01:21 PM

19. @Jacques.... this would be even better....

I am truly sorry and ashamed for making an offensive statement.

There is no need to quantify how many people may or may not have been offended. The statement was offensive whether anyone was offended by it or not.

Posted by: Tim NC | Nov 27, 2012 2:08:19 PM

20. I agree, Tony. I hate the apologies too. Because it's not sincere, and as you said, it doesn't at all change what was said and why it was said. The fact these incidents keep happening says enough. Say what you say, stand behind it, and let the people power take over. I disagree, though, that people in RL don't stop using gay slurs when taken to task. In fact, I know from personal knowledge they will. Because they don't want to be seen as a bigot. So they stop using such slurs when they know others will be offended. We've gotten to the point where homophobia is socially looked down upon so people go out of their way to avoid being seen as such, but underneath the surface, those anti-gay attitudes are still there.

Apologies mean nothing, I want to see consequences. Punishment. That's literally the only deterrent.

Posted by: Francis | Nov 27, 2012 2:14:24 PM

21. I don't agree with someone's parents being brother and sister but saying in-bred trailer trash doesn't make me anti-redneck, they're just words.

Posted by: Arrant | Nov 27, 2012 2:15:00 PM

22. @Queen...you're beyond pathetic.

Posted by: PAUL B. | Nov 27, 2012 2:15:50 PM

23. "Love 'em . . ." And " . . .a little dumb ain't too bad either." God Craig the jerk is a total idiot who looks the part. The twit could not tell s*** from pure mountain honey!

Posted by: Mike | Nov 27, 2012 2:25:04 PM

24. What an ingnort, hate filled simpleton this "man" is.

Posted by: StarGem | Nov 27, 2012 3:56:25 PM

25. "I was not bashing the gay community in any way..." No, of course not. He just doesn't agree with the way gay people are born and fa***t is just a word he uses whenever he feels like it.

What an ignorant assclown.

Posted by: Peter M. | Nov 27, 2012 5:15:21 PM