2012 Election | Mitt Romney | News | Republican Party | Seattle

BigGayDeal.com

Closeted Power-Bottoms for Romney

Pb_romney

Eli Sanders at Slog spied this poster on Seattle's Capitol Hill.

Comments

1. Unfortunately, that poster is no longer on that particular dumpster (at Pike & 11th, near the lesbian bar The Wildrose). But I have since put up several more around Seattle's Capitol Hill neighborhood.

Posted by: Andrew Caldwell | Nov 6, 2012 12:27:53 PM

2. Hilarious. Certainly among the funniest headlines I've ever seen on Towleroad, and I've been reading for a long time.

Posted by: Paul R | Nov 6, 2012 12:30:53 PM

3. Why the hell is "power-bottom" being used as a derogatory term?

Posted by: BenR | Nov 6, 2012 12:55:24 PM

4. I didn't realize that GOProud was conducting a membership push in Seattle. :)

Posted by: Boomer | Nov 6, 2012 12:59:21 PM

5. If it weren't for the "closeted" line, I would have thought these could have been from the Log Cabin Republicans. Lol

Posted by: BETTY | Nov 6, 2012 12:59:55 PM

6. I'm with BenR. Congratulations to Towleroad and the makers of these signs (and posters like you, Andrew Caldwell) for basically indulging in a gay slur by associating a negative action (supporting Romney) with engaging in a specific gay sexual practice. Keep it classy, guys.

Posted by: Stefan | Nov 6, 2012 1:01:16 PM

7. BenR - because to gay republicans it *is*

remember, these are the defensively-insecure reluctant homosexuals who base their entire identity on "not being like those other gays"

the ones who fight for equality, stand up for what is right, and don't tend to worry about what other idiots think about their sexlives.

GOProud's Homocon once ran with the slogan "Our gays are more butch than their straights".

see what i mean?

they're terrified of people thinking that they're sexually-active. and if you wanna get into the misogyny of it - of bottoming. because they're 'real men' - in their minds.

everyone else knows them to be the eunuchs they are.

but a friend said this was about "bottom-shaming"
    ]
    someone tried to bottom-shame me once, but i didn't take much notice as i was too busy enjoying bottoming. ;-)

the hilariously apt poster says "closeted-powerbottoms".

because to these guys, it *is* an insult.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Nov 6, 2012 1:04:29 PM

8. To BenR and Stefan: The power-bottoms I've (happily) known have been made of tougher stuff that either of you two seem to be. It's ironic and odd for a couple of (presumed) power-bottoms to get butthurt so easily! Did you not notice that "closeted" and "masochistic" precede the term power-bottom? These are important modifiers that you both seemed to skip on your way to righteous indignation.

Posted by: RyanInWyo | Nov 6, 2012 1:06:42 PM

9. amen, RYAN!

that's exactly it. you can't bottom-shame someone who has no shame about it.

this poster is utterly bang-on correct. gay republicans are terrified of being seen as sexual beings, and concepts of emasculation, hence their constant denigration of anything that a complete bigot would deem "Stereotypical" .

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Nov 6, 2012 1:13:10 PM

10. Good work Andrew. These really need to be put up in every city in America. Pronto.

Posted by: Mike in nyc | Nov 6, 2012 1:18:55 PM

11. The key point is "closeted power bottoms." There's no shame in being an out, proud, Democratic power bottom. Where would tops be without us?

Posted by: Boomer | Nov 6, 2012 1:25:29 PM

12. I did laugh...But as a heterosexual female, I am quite curious about the seeming disdain that some gay men have for the people they have sex with...Why are "bottoms" seemingly looked down on by some gay men? And why is calling someone a "bottom" considered an insult? It truly must be the height of self-loathing...It's like the way some black people with lighter skin, insult those with darker skin...It happens when you've been completely warped by the powers that be...JMHO

Posted by: Kay | Nov 6, 2012 1:31:57 PM

13. You guys are really jumping through hoops to explain why this isn't just another example of our community's sexism and misogyny. @Kay, using bottom as an insult derives from traditional chauvinism. Men don't want to be accused of being feminine. Instead of challenging existing power structures, too many gay men just recreate them within our community and call that progress.

@Littlekiwi, your argument is like saying it's okay to say faggot as long as its directed at someone who will take offense to it.

Posted by: John | Nov 6, 2012 1:43:40 PM

14. On a side note, I <3 me some power-bottoms

Posted by: Joe M | Nov 6, 2012 1:44:59 PM

15. not really, "John", but then again, i'm a self-identifying Queer man as well as a gay man, and i hear all the time insecure gay men sayign "don't say queer! it's an insult!"

uh, how sugar? because someone called you queer once, as an insult, and you never got over it?

you miss the point, which i've come to expect from a lot of Anonymous Commenters.

Gay Republicans are terrified of concepts of emasculation. They're terrified of reminding their families and political communities that they're sexually-active males.

gay liberals tend to not live that way, as our balls have dropped and we no longer worry about 'How Idiots Perceive Us'.

yes. they are closeted-powerbottoms. because they're terrified of their Right-Wing family and affiliates thinking that they're like "those gay liberals who fight for equality and enjoy bottoming"

sorry, sugarpie. them's the nuances. ;-)

so, understand that "John"

Oh, and here's a video of a GOProud member proving me right -

see? he hates "stereotypical gay people" and doesn't realize that...uh...well, check it out ;-)

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Nov 6, 2012 1:52:54 PM

16. say goodbye to what's left of the middle-class if he wins

Posted by: t | Nov 6, 2012 1:54:32 PM

17. Without us power bottoms, you tops would have nobody to f**k :)

Posted by: luke | Nov 6, 2012 2:05:15 PM

18. Ryaninwyo,
    I presume then that you don't believe that this poster is targeted at all gay Republicans? If "closeted" is such an important modifier, then surely this poster wasn't designed to mock the Log Cabin Republicans and members of GOProud, since they are out. You can pretend that this poster wasn't using sexist rhetoric to mock gay Republicans, but by parsing it apart in the way you do, the poster loses its meaning.

Yes, gay Republicans deserve to be called out. But the ends don't justify the means. You can berate gag Republicans without celebrating the worst of gay culture. See that video that was posted yesterday for a good example.

@littlekiwi,
    I'm with you on identifying as queer. And personally I have no issue with the word faggot. But my personal acceptance of the word doesn't justify it's use as an insult to others.

And you again use the language of masculinity to belittle others in that last rant. By saying that gay liberals' balls have dropped, you imply that that "real men" don't get offended.

You use language that only serves to reify male heirarchy. That pretty much makes you not as liberal as you seem to think. You may have liberal views on LGBT issues, but you don't appear to value true liberalism. You just engage in NRA-style politics.

If you were truly liberal or progressive, you would understand how your language maintains structures of inequality.

Posted by: John | Nov 6, 2012 2:09:19 PM

19. No, i'm not implying anything. I'm pretty darn clear, actually, that I believe gay republicans to be testicle-deprived wimps.

does that mean they're women? no. it means they're boys. BOYS.

"closeted-powerbottoms" is an apt description of gay republicans. they neuter themselves as gay males in an effort to be tolerated by anti-gay conservatives.

they live each day to distance themselves from "those other gays"

LCR and GOProud are Out? Yeah, as resentful and reluctant homosexuals who are terrified of how Others See Them.

they're not "closeted-homosexuals", they're "closeted-powerbottoms"

and like i pointed out, like you're probably choosing to ignore, their last Homocon had the "our gays are more butch than their straights" slogan.

because they're obsessed with how they fear others see them.

hence, "closeted-powerbottoms" - it's perfectly fitting. Out, Proud, Confident gay men don't live in fear of what others think about their sex lives. nor do they vote republican. you can be "out" (or OUTED) and still be a cowardly wimp. as evidenced by every single mouth-breather who makes up GOProud.

do you need me to simplify further? i can try.

Posted by: MarkUs | Nov 6, 2012 2:19:24 PM

20. oops, posted wrong. ;-) hehe. love ya trollies!

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Nov 6, 2012 2:19:48 PM

21. Little Kiwi is Markus?

Posted by: WOW | Nov 6, 2012 2:31:21 PM

22. Very funny. Someone had a great idea.

Posted by: Icebloo | Nov 6, 2012 2:35:29 PM

23. Haha, no. I just like screwing with the trolls ;-)

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Nov 6, 2012 2:37:46 PM

24. @littlekiwi, I didn't see the slogan before. If it was in one of those YouTube videos, I didn't watch them. I didn't intentionally ignore it. And I don't disagree with you about gay Republicans. They set out to create a good gay/bad gay dichotomy, in the same way racial identities have been divided into good/bad. I think that's wrong and detrimental to the movement as a whole. I think you and I agree on a lot more than we disagree.

But if you think fear about what others think is a uniquely Republican thing, you are kidding yourself. Take a tour of any gay neighborhood, gay bar, gay dating site, gay anything, and you'll see that fear of being labeled femme played out. Played out by closeted men who hopes no one recognizes them and by many men who are at the polls voting for Obama today.

The misogyny and sexism of gay men is real and it doesn't just play out in one political affiliation. Frankly, it has nothing to do with politics because no one is willing to examine their own communities critically. The problem is always someone else.

Posted by: John | Nov 6, 2012 2:43:31 PM

25. I'm not sure why you think I'm a troll. Someone isn't a troll just because they disagree with you.

And I don't care who you post as because I'm not engaged in any sort of ad hominem attacks. I take issue with the content of the post, not the name attached at the bottom.

Posted by: John | Nov 6, 2012 2:48:55 PM