Comic Books | DOMA | News | X-Men

DOMA Impacts Gay X-Men, Too

AstonishingICE

Immigration enforcement doesn't care if X-Man Northstar save American lives for a living; he's a Canadian citizen and his recent marriage to American Kyle Jinadu does nothing to change that fact. That's thanks to DOMA, which prohibits the federal government from recognizing same-sex marriages.

And as you see in the screenshot above (click to expand), those immigration officials come knocking in the latest issue of Marvel's Astonishing X-Men. Northstar happens to be out fighting villains when they call, but no doubt this fictional ICE will make another appearance in months to come. Unless our real world heroes can use their powers to finally overturn the discriminatory law, of course.

Comments

1. It's nice that they're doing this, introducing a "DOMA issues for Dummies" primer for young adult readers of comics. They're unlikely to hear about it any other way.

Posted by: Caliban | Nov 23, 2012 12:54:29 PM

2. 100% agree with Caliban. I like that Marvel did this.

Posted by: Francis | Nov 23, 2012 1:17:00 PM

3. I thought that Kyle was also Canadian? This isn't really a DOMA issue since neither is a citizen and I am not sure either of them have their green card (Northstar might since he's a teacher at the Jean-Grey School for Higher Learning).

Posted by: LegionTonyL | Nov 23, 2012 1:25:23 PM

4. Of course, if one or both is a legal resident of the US, then the lack of recognition of Marriage Equality from an immigration standpoint does come into play.

Posted by: LegionTonyL | Nov 23, 2012 1:35:55 PM

5. Ice is not fictional - http://www.ice.gov/

Posted by: Fathom | Nov 23, 2012 2:14:26 PM

6. my roomate's mom earned $14940 the previous week. she is making cash on the computer and got a $514300 condo. All she did was get blessed and follow the advice laid out on this site http://www.run70.com

Posted by: gauja | Nov 23, 2012 2:54:41 PM

7. my roomates mom was victimized by a scam "work from home on the computer" message that had nothing to do with the story it was commenting on, lost all her money and now lives on a park bench.

Posted by: Gaudi | Nov 23, 2012 3:28:57 PM

8. Bi-national couples in the US are the most vivid poster people to show the rest of society why striking down DOMA matters...
    =)

Posted by: George F | Nov 23, 2012 10:28:36 PM

9. This is one issue that is extremely difficult for gay bi-national couples. I could not get my partner in on his own accord, so, if I wanted to be with him it was necessary for me to move to another country, which I did.

It was VERY costly. I worked as a teacher there, making much less money. My career suffered here, but I really had no choice. I also took several trips to the USA.

After 3 years of this the stress got to be too much and we broke up. I think we would still be together if he could have moved here

Posted by: Doug | Nov 23, 2012 11:04:26 PM

10. @ Legiontonyl -- Kyle is American -- his family lives in the Baltimore area, if I remember correctly.

Be interesting to see where this arc goes -- Marjorie Liu has been doing a pretty good job portraying this relationship.

Posted by: Hunter | Nov 24, 2012 9:04:19 AM

11. Thanksgiving prep delayed my comic book pick up, or I'd have already blogged on this at HeroesNHunks, so thanks for the heads up. LOVE when you mention the LGBT comics news. Astonishing X-Men and Marvel in general has been so amazing of late in their inclusion of LGBT characters and storylines in high profile titles. The Beaubier-Jinadu marriage was handled very well. As are the details and dynamics of the relationship as seen in the couples personal dialog. Ongoing developments like this PROVE the title's commitment to the story. The June Wedding wasn't just a stunt.

Posted by: fanboi | Nov 24, 2012 12:11:11 PM

12. my classmate's mother-in-law earned $12603 the prior week. she works on the internet and got a $459000 home. All she did was get blessed and set to work the advice written on this website http://www.run70.com

Posted by: uldons | Nov 24, 2012 3:22:58 PM

13. OK - someone ALREADY posted the lame Work at Home rip-off and we called them on it. Do you think repeating the same text with a different name will be MORE effective? I guess bots do NOT posses artificial intelligence. Someone may want to work on that if they want to fool actual humans.

Posted by: fanboi | Nov 24, 2012 11:38:24 PM