Donald Trump | News

Donald Trump Fires Back at Petition Calling for Macy's to Dump Him, Starts Twitter War with Cher

Yesterday I reported that a petition urging Macy's to dump Donald Trump had gathered nearly a half million signatures. Currently as of this posting, the number of signatures is up to 558,707.

TrumpWrite the petition's creators:

Donald Trump does not reflect the "magic of Macy's." We urge you to sever ties with him. Macy's says it has a strong obligation to be "socially responsible" and that "actions speak louder than words." Indeed. It's time to act.

Macy's has a special deal with Donald Trump. They invest in developing Trump's brand and sell his clothing line and fragrance at their locations. To this end, they have had major events at Macy's Herald Square location and they often feature and promote Trump in advertisements designed to celebrate the magic of Macy's. Recently, Macy's CEO Terry Lundgren sent Donald Trump a letter touting how excited Macy's was to be working with Trump and promising to expand Trump's brand even further than it already is. But, why is Macy's celebrating Trump?

Trump's spokesman is firing back at the petition's creator:

“What I find incredulous is that the creator of the petition is protecting his First Amendment right to free speech while simultaneously trying to impede upon Mr. Trump’s,” Michael Cohen, executive vice president and special counsel to Trump, told Celebuzz. “It’s ironic.”

“I question the legitimacy and accuracy of the website and the number of signatures claimed to have joined this petition,” he added. “Regardless, The Trump Organization values its longstanding relationship with Macy’s and looks forward to many more years of continued success.”

CherAnd Cher has entered the fray:

One of his critics is Cher, who tweeted on Monday, “I’ll NEVER GO TO MACY’S AGAIN ! I didnt know they sold Donald Trump’s Line! If they don’t care that they sell products from a LOUDMOUTH RACIST CRETIN,WHO’D LIE LIKE “HIS RUG”TO GET SOME CHEAP PRESS ! I CANT BELIEVE MACY’S THINKS HE’S THE RIGHT “MAN” 2 REPRESENT THEIR NAME!”

Needless to say, the feud-loving Trump struck back.

On Tuesday, he wrote to Cher, “I don’t wear a “rug”—it’s mine. And I promise not to talk about your massive plastic surgeries that didn’t work.”

Trump added, “It’s amazing how people can talk about me but I’m not allowed to talk about them.”

Comments

1. As much as Donald Trump is an embarrassment to any notion of intelligence or taste...
    he is undeniably a fixture of New York City, and I would go so far to say he's a dynamo.
    Macy's Herald Square is New York, definitely a tourist destination, and should celebrate a New York celebrity.
    However, Macy's stores located elsewhere outside of New York City should not infect the brand with such a moronic hot-head.

Posted by: bALAN | Nov 14, 2012 1:08:24 PM

2. Wasn't he the first person to defend JCPenny's right to hire Ellen as its spokes person?

Posted by: Garst | Nov 14, 2012 1:39:30 PM

3. But why is it just Macy's? Personally I would love to see NBC give him the boot.

Posted by: Kevin | Nov 14, 2012 1:52:11 PM

4. I signed the petition because Donald Trump and his dangerous stereotypes should not be in any way associated with a company like MACY's. He's a homophobe and racist. And I shop at Macy's, Bloomingdales and Nordstrom's!!!

Posted by: Mel Smith | Nov 14, 2012 2:39:55 PM

5. Can you imagine what he looks like before the air-brushed tan and pound of pancake makeup?
    Oh, don't even get me on the hair thang!
    I mean if the whole world knows there's only one hair up there...a mile long...going round and round...can we still be taken seriously?

Posted by: PAUL B. | Nov 14, 2012 2:57:27 PM

6. don't worry about the petition email Macy's and call them they will get the hint.

Posted by: keith | Nov 14, 2012 3:36:27 PM

7. did u see the facebook page Donald Trump: You're Fired.

Posted by: abe | Nov 14, 2012 4:14:31 PM

8. Donald Trump: Youo're Fired. http://on.fb.me/QH9a2V

Posted by: abe | Nov 14, 2012 4:15:12 PM

9. Trump is so arrogant he doesn't seem to understand the basics of business. If all these people boycott Macy's they will be FORCED to end their relationship with him. They will not have a choice. I don't think it will be very long before Macy's cave in on this one. They will lose a lot of money and I think they are already struggling financially. Supporting Trump may be catastrophic for them.

Posted by: Icebloo | Nov 14, 2012 5:28:21 PM

10. Donald Trump is now a toxic brand. Nobody will want to partner with him now. YEAH !

Posted by: Icebloo | Nov 14, 2012 5:29:18 PM

11. I'm no fan of Cher because she is so fake and doesn't actually support gays (ACTIONS speak louder than WORDS Cher !) but I do appreciate she have given this petition a kick start and lots of publicity.

Interesting that Cher speaks out against Donald Trump but she thinks anti-woman, anti-gay, anti-abortion right wing extremist preacher Joel Osteen is great.

Posted by: Icebloo | Nov 14, 2012 5:32:56 PM

12. @Baklan I don't associate Trump with NYC. I think a far better icon for NYC is Sarah Jessica Parker. She's classy, educated and caring and her character of Carrie Bradshaw is fare more iconic than ugly, lying, trashy, loud mouthed, racist Trump.

Posted by: Icebloo | Nov 14, 2012 5:36:13 PM

13. Greetings, where I live Macy's stores were named J.L. Hudson. I have shopped there since I was a teenager. But I will not make another purchase from Macy's as long as they support a Man know as Trump. My couple of Thousand dollars a year won't break Macy's. But I feel better knowing I didn't help support a man such as the one called Trump.

Posted by: Richard Allen, Jr. | Nov 14, 2012 6:17:46 PM

14. @ ICE - Cher said she didnt know Olsteens positions on everything...she hasnt ever mentioned him since! Btw: How do you know Cher doesnt support us behind the scene? Not everyone is a media whore like Trump!

Posted by: Tagg | Nov 14, 2012 6:37:17 PM

15. This is so funny. I really think this petition will end up with more than a million people on it. Macy's will have no choice but to cancel their contract with shi3head Trump. Their sales are definitely going to suffer and I bet they have felt this even in the last couple of days.

Trump is arrogant and thinks he is untouchable like Romney did but people power is gaining momentum in this country and idiots like Trump are going to be getting a slice of reality.

Posted by: Icebloo | Nov 14, 2012 8:30:53 PM

16. @TAGG Chaz Bono (Cher's daughter) said Cher refused to speak to him for a week when he told her he was gay and didn't speak to him for a WHOLE YEAR when he told her he was transsexual. Please tell me how that is SUPPORTING us ?

Cher has been surrounded by gays for decades. Gays CREATED her. Gays have done her hair, written her songs, designed her clothes, designed her videos etc etc. If anyone on this planet should be educated about gays it is Cher BUT she completely turned her back on her OWN CHILD at the very time her child needed support. That's the real Cher. SELFISH, SELFISH, SELFISH.

Where was Cher during the recent gay marriage fights ? Where did she speak out ? Where was her video for us ?

She's a fake. Just another straight person SAYING they support us so we make her rich.
    ACTIONS speak louder than WORDS.

Whole article about Chaz Bono here --> http://www.dallasvoice.com/interesting-trans-man-world-10130690.html

It's time gay people woke up to these so-called allies of ours who don't actually do anything for us but are only interested in taking our money.
    I'm talking to you Cher, Kathy Griffin, Lady Gaga, Angelina Jolie, Anne Hathaway etc etc.

Posted by: Icebloo | Nov 14, 2012 8:41:17 PM

17. I think signing the petition only let's Macy's know to a degree how many people are not satisfied that Trump's products are in their stores. I am sure there are multitudes of folks who probably do like his brand. For those of us who don't care for Trump I say don't buy his stuff. Myself, I will continue to shop Macy's and just shun Trump. Yep, he's a low-life and always will be. As you can see his TV program is still on the air for whatever reason, so there must be millions of viewers who like it. I don't like him, so I don't watch his show.

Posted by: JT | Nov 15, 2012 9:01:04 AM

18. With all the money involved, you'd think you could get a spokesman who knew the meaning of "incredulous" and properly understood the First Amendment. It's just... very revealing.

Posted by: michaelofthegreen | Nov 15, 2012 3:46:53 PM

19. Donald Trump, on the right, is a lot like Little Kiwi, on the left. When they don't like you because you have had the nerve to disagree with them, they go for the jugular and through character assassination and bullying and malevolent posts try to silence you and destroy you.

Posted by: andrew | Nov 15, 2012 4:53:08 PM

20. PP2000/LEXIA-3 Schnittstelle funktioniert sowohl für Citroen als auch Peugeot!csh

Posted by: Auto Diagnostic Tool | Dec 4, 2012 3:36:36 AM