"Ex-Gays" | Health | News

Dr. Oz Says He Sees The Light On 'Ex-Gay' Therapy

DrOzReparativeTelevision doctor Dr. Oz's show yesterday to explore so-called reparative therapy, the harmful and distorted "therapy" that claims to cure people of same-sex desires.

As most of us already know, this is junk science that deserves less-than-zero credence, which is why GLAAD, GLSEN and PFLAG joined forces to deride Oz's decision.

"Producers of the Dr. Oz Show framed their program on so-called reparative therapy in a way that provided a lengthy platform for junk science," they said. "Although the show also featured guests who condemned the idea and practice of “reparative therapy,” Dr. Oz himself never weighed in, and the audience was misled to believe that there are actual experts on both sides of this issue. There are not."

Dr. Oz was apparently persuaded to their side, because on his website he wrote that he "agrees with the established medical consensus."

His post, via JMG:

Some guests argued that they have been changed thru these treatments, but I was overwhelmed by the pain of individuals hurt by the experience.  After listening to both sides of the issue and after reviewing the available medical data, I agree with the established medical consensus.  I have not found enough published data supporting positive results with gay reparative therapy and I have concerns about the potentially dangerous effects when the therapy fails, especially when minors are forced into treatments.

My biggest epiphany occurred after hearing where the opposing groups found some common ground. The guests who appeared on my show on either side of this debate agreed that entering into any therapy with guilt and self-hate is a major error. Trying to change who you are instead of loving who you are leads to broken spirits and broken hearts.

Encouraging self-acceptance is the only way to help alleviate the shame experienced by those who are struggling with their sexuality – and help them reach a place where who they are matches who they want to be.

Okay, great. So, moving forward, instead of calling this "reparative therapy," perhaps we can call it manipulative, repressive hocus-pocus?

Comments

1. The church is a sin.

Posted by: KIt | Nov 29, 2012 8:55:02 PM

2. you know what I would love to see addressed? The environment, and how we ignore it, even though it keeps us alive. Gay or straight, we are all in denial, and no one wants to talk about it.

Posted by: KIt | Nov 29, 2012 8:59:16 PM

3. Ex gay Therapy is priest and psychotherapist who torture LGBT people and destroy their lives and some even kill themselves because of this quack science. California got it right and banned ex gay therapy and now they need to do it everywhere before these quacks kill anymore people. The ex gay people, priest and psychotherapist who have tortured and killed LGBT people need to be arrested and put in prison for crimes against humanity.

Posted by: Tod | Nov 29, 2012 10:57:33 PM

4. I have given a great deal of thought to the issue, weighed the pros and cons, evaluated the arguments of both sides, doing my best to be open-minded, and I have concluded that not drinking Drano is a better choice than drinking Drano, and drinking Drano won't do anyone a bit of good.

Posted by: Professor Von Pie | Nov 29, 2012 11:25:05 PM

5. Reparative therapy is never necessary.
    It is never effective.
    It is usually harmful.
    It sometimes ends in suicide.

No accredited medical school teaches reparative therapy.
    No mainstream professional organization certifies reparative therapists.
    No reparative therapist is licensed to do such work.
    No government rules regulate this profession.
    No government agency supervises these treatments.
    No reparative therapist carries insurance (because no underwriter will sell it to them).
    No health insurance policy covers this treatment (because there is no illness).
    The weekly cost is high, and often continues for years or decades.
    The outcome is never guaranteed, and the results are often harmful.
    There is no scientific evidence that reparative therapy ever worked for anyone.
    Reparative therapists can be sued for consumer fraud and medical malpractice.

Reparative therapists turn tail and run the moment you ask them for a written, dated, signed summary of reparative therapy’s success rates, suicides, and lawsuits over the last 10 years.

Posted by: Ned Flaherty | Nov 30, 2012 4:35:09 AM

6. I noticed that the bald guy stated (at around the 5 minute mark on my PVR) slowly and emphatically: "Dr. Oz, I've changed. I once was gay. I've been straight for 8 years."
    Then at around the 0:16 mark, he says, "I knew I wasn't a gay man. I knew I was straight." and then at around the 0:37 mark he says, reflecting back to his youth, "People like myself, we never felt that we were gay. Do you understand that.... Internally, I knew that I wasn't gay."

No one pointed out this contradiction, which indicates that he is now and has always been confused about whether he is gay, straight or bi.
    What also was not mentioned was the financial stake he has in convincing people to pay him a lot of money ($599 for a weekend seminar, and obviously more once they convince the client to come back for years to keep trying).

The most irritating thing Dr. Oz (whom I generally respect) did during the hour was to come back from a commercial break asking whether "reparative therapy" works and then saying: "Now let's hear from the experts" as he introduced a representative of the discredited NARTH, whose also make money off of the snake oil and whose methods have been denounced by every professional organization of ACTUAL experts.

Posted by: GregV | Nov 30, 2012 5:15:45 PM

7. I am happy to see that the comments on Dr. Oz's blog are overwhelmingly against the way these quacks were given an air of legitimacy on the show.

Posted by: GregV | Nov 30, 2012 8:53:16 PM