Elmo Voice Actor Kevin Clash’s Accuser Now Wants to Undo Settlement, Says He Didn’t Lie

Undo_clash

Sheldon Stephens, the man who accused Kevin Clash, the voice of Sesame Street's Elmo of inappropriate sexual contact when he was 16 and last week made a settlement deal in the case, now says he wasn't lying and wants to undo the settlement, TMZ reports:

We've learned Stephens has met with lawyers in Los Angeles and told them he was pressured into recanting his allegation and insists he's telling the truth when he says he had sex with Clash when he was 16.

Stephens — who is now 23 — is telling lawyers he will gladly forfeit the $125,000  to restore his name.  Stephens is saying he was literally crying during the final negotiations and repeatedly said he didn't want to sign.

Clash's lawyer told us Friday he would have no comment on the settlement story.

Last week The Smoking Gun identified Stephens as "a struggling 24-year-old model/actor who was once arrested for the knifepoint robbery of $250,000 in jewelry from a music manager for whom he interned."

Comments

1. Tom in long beach says

Someone needs some good therapy. I think most people are over this story. As for Kevin Clash and the rest of us, a good way to stay out of trouble is to only date people closer to your own age. (Especially if you are famous / semi famous). A problem is teenagers often present older than they really are. And are in a hurry to have adult privlages. I know I did when I was 16.

2. Gary says

When puppets are going after young people, we must keep them away from our children. I hope Kevin is found guilty — just to blow another hole in life’s false illusions. You can’t hide behind a real puppet, if you want to play with your pants puppet.

3. Frank says

So he wasn’t lying when he lied and said he was lying?

This kid needs to go away. Or get his own reality show – Keeping up with the Stephenses. Or maybe “That Stephens Kid”

4. Paul R says

Abuse happened to me three times when I was underage, and I would have been plenty happy to settle with cash. But I did nothing.

All three guys were considerably older and quite rich. It was just too much effort to pursue, and it could have been far worse. It also would have had to involve my parents, and discussing sex with you parents is awful.

5. says

then i’ll be the @sshole who says your “abuse” wasn’t that bad. apparently not bad enough to warrant you pressing charges, to see criminals punished for their crimes, of which there may have been other victims.

you’d have been happy to settle with cash?

wow.

6. Jack says

Why not let him undo the settlement? He’ll file a civil lawsuit, the defense will tear his lying ass to shreds, and not only will he fail to recover ANY money, but he’ll be stuck with the bill for his lawyers (unless they are working contingency, but I don’t know why any lawyer would take this on contingency).

It would be pretty fitting. I for one would enjoy seeing him cry on the witness stand during cross.

7. Derrick from Philly says

“So Elmo likes rough trade?”

Please, Ratbastard. He might be rough in the bedroom, but not in his photographs. Elmo looks rougher than he does.

8. Paul R says

Umm, yes. Rich people settle with cash. It would have been much easier. Pressing abuse charges is really difficult when you’re an out teen. I had a life to live and didn’t want to spend my life in court. My parents were public officials. So yeah, I guess it was great and I was asking for it.

I’m really surprised, Kiwi, that you’re being unpleasant about someone who had unpleasant experiences. I’m happy that you come from a liberal family. Other people have different lives.

9. Paul R says

Also, all 3 were so rich that it would have settled out of court because they had incredible teams. I’m not an idiot. And I’m also not a whore. I’m just realistic.

10. says

i don’t see how my coming from a liberal family means that i believe that criminals should be prosecuted for their crimes.

or that how you coming from a conservative family means that you’d be happy to take a cash settlement for abuse.

oh wait. no. i actually completely see that.

so that’s how it works, eh? some folks will vote against their own equality and put a price on equal rights, and they also can put a pricetag on child abuse?

wow.

11. says

and i never said you were asking for it. you made it clear, however, that it was “abuse” that you felt could be “made up for” with cash – not justice.

so, what’s the pricetag on abusing a child these days?

12. Paul R says

That my parents are conservative means nothing about my views (far from it), and they love me and my ex. They might even love him more than me.

I wasn’t a child. I skipped several grades. Only one incident happened when I was a child. The others, when I was 15 and 16.

13. says

and what amount of money can “make up for” that abuse?

if you don’t want your having conservative parents to lead one to an assumption about how Conservatives Exchange Bigotry and Abuse for Money, you might do well to not suggest that my having liberal parents means I care about criminals being brought to justice.

actually, feel free to do that. it’d make my liberal parents proud.

and skipping several grades doesn’t mean that you weren’t a child.

you skip grades. not ages.

14. SayTheTruth says

I guess that cash amount wasn’t enough, that was the real problem. But too late. He will end up getting nothing. With his record I think he has lost his case. But I also think that the Elmo voice actor is also screwed, some people never learn, nothing worse than thinking with your lower head.

15. Dr Ebing-Krafft says

The typical financial settlement comes with confidentiality clauses. He’s surely violated them.

As I’ve said before: I am a gay man who had multiple male perpetrators. I didn’t want cash. I only wanted the perpetrators to understand the devastation they effected on my life. Like Sandusky apparently will, they went to their graves in denial.

Yes I know I reversed the hyphenated name.

16. Paul R says

I think that we understand each other’s perspectives here, Kiwi. But it’s been 25 years. I just don’t care anymore, and going through prolonged gay-related court cases at that time would have been awful.

Your views are valid. But I wasn’t a child. I don’t think that people are children once they hit their teens.

17. NeverEclipsed81 says

He just wants more press, because if he doesn’t be a fame whore he can’t do anything else. This POS needs to work for a living instead of extorting and robbing other people.

18. Rick says

And the takeaway here…don’t have sex with nearly-underage-crazy, unless you want heaps of expensive headaches later. And if you are wealthy/famous, all the more reason to exercise some discretion. It’s not rocket science, guys.

19. albertam says

clear his name what the hell, he already drove his name through the mud by being a criminal in the first place. ya think anyone in this day and age you’d check up through the police for records on anyone. this so called model,whatever really wants to screw his 125grand down the hole then by all means go ahead….and the boy should have taken some evidence. oh well boohoo he should just take a jail free card and get going the other way. what a moron he sure looks money hungry for more then what hes got. its like stealing base and he is playing everyone and got us hook. i don’t think he will get any more money or anything else other then him pleading his play.

20. AngelaChanning says

Rick hit the nail on the head. I am 49 and have noticed an increase in the number of come ons by younger guys looking for “generous older men,” whether it is in a bar or on grindr,etc. I find the prospect to be completely dehumanizing. I am also not looking to fix some younger kid (by having a romantic relationship with him), who may have issues. I don’t know if abuse is involved in the Kevin Clash situation or not. However, it is most likely Stephens will be on the losing end.