"Ex-Gays" | Health | News | Religion

BigGayDeal.com

'Ex-Gays' Wish People Would Just Leave Them Alone

BornwayThe New York Times, a paper whose editorial board once described right wing reparative therapies to "cure" homosexuality as "absurd", today has a piece about how so-called "ex-gays" are feeling ostracized and oppressed by all the work against harmful ex-gay "treatments".

According to them, they should be able to "turn straight" without fear of recrimination.

An excerpt:

Cameron Michael Swaim, 20, said he is in the early stages of his struggle to overcome homosexual desires. Mr. Swaim is unemployed and lives with his parents in Orange County, Calif., where his father is a pastor of the Evangelical Friends Church of the Southwest.

He tried the gay life, but “it just doesn’t settle with me,” he said, and ultimately decided “there’s got to be a way to heal this affliction.”

Through weekend retreats and participation in a Southern California support group Mr. Swaim has started to explore his family relations, he said, something that has been painful but seems to be helping.

“I’m building my confidence around men,” he said, “ and that has built my confidence around women.”

Five years from now, Mr. Swaim hopes, he will be engaged or married. In the meantime, he is trying to scrape together enough money to start seeing a reparative therapist.

Aaron Bitzer, the man suing the state of California over a ban on reparative therapy for minors, says that his own experience with innate gay feelings left him depressed and suicidal, two of the side effects doctors say reparative therapy can cause.

"If I’d known about these therapies as a teen I could have avoided a lot of depression, self-hatred and suicidal thoughts," he said. "I found that I couldn’t just say ‘I’m gay’ and live that way."

Comments

1. "Jason" is not gay.

Posted by: homer | Nov 1, 2012 10:49:42 AM

2. I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Glory holes on fire in the dark crevices of gay bars. I watched drag queens glitter on the stage beneath shiny disco balls. All those moments make male-male interactions sting... like cum in my eye. Time to die.

Posted by: endo | Nov 1, 2012 10:52:03 AM

3. Ex gay "therapy" is a scam and a fraud and kills gay children because they use torture, this has been proven. The anit-gay Christians are covertly using psychotherapy to torture LGBT people into being straight and it does not work and harms people. These anti-gay Christian psychotherapist have been exposed for what they are, criminals who murder gay children in California and that is why California has banned it from being used. Smoking kills and so does ex gay therapy.

Posted by: Rick | Nov 1, 2012 11:10:21 AM

4. @Endo LMAO!

Posted by: Lucas H | Nov 1, 2012 11:12:54 AM

5. unrelenting promiscuity of the male-male social scene.
    male-male interactions to the level of pig snorts of ecstasy.

BOTH those statements made my day ..where does this guy live? and if you have never had the pig snort of ecstasy while having a male male interaction I feel very bad for you you little troll!

Posted by: hotbeef | Nov 1, 2012 12:42:27 PM

6. this is so hilarious it then becomes sad.

right, they don't want to be ostracized or oppressed. RIGHT>

fun fact - the only reason that they wanted to be ex-gays was because they were being ostracized by family and community.

told that in this life and the next they'll be denied love, and God's favor. fact. fact fact. fact. fact.

without anti-gay culture there'd be no reason for a gay person to not want to be gay.

this fact eludes the willfully ignorant.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Nov 1, 2012 12:53:13 PM

7. What a load of crap! I have plenty of confidence around women. I just don't want to have sex with them.

Posted by: Houndentenor | Nov 1, 2012 1:18:36 PM

8. and remember - the only people who insist that "the gay scene" or "lifestyle" is nothing but meaningless sex are those who've never been laid and those who don't know gay people.

they scream _______ and cowardly gay idiots repeat it.

everyone who lives an actual Out life knows it's nonsense.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Nov 1, 2012 1:27:12 PM

9. PLEASE PLEASE stop feeding the trolls (Jason etc.).

Posted by: Kári Emil | Nov 1, 2012 5:45:03 PM

10. Oh, I'm sure in a few years he will be married. To a lovely man named Diego.

Posted by: Basil | Nov 1, 2012 7:04:54 PM

11. Oh man, JASON and his so-called "research"! I get the feeling Jason was in charge of the research pointing to WMD's in Iraq.

Look, just because you went to a gay bar doesn't make you an expert or even constitute as "research". Most gay men don't go to gay bars. As usual, you are painting everyone with the same wide brush. If you have done such conclusive research, please provide the link to where it was published.

Posted by: BETTY | Nov 1, 2012 7:42:24 PM

12. These so called "ex gay" are one of the sickest, lying and fakes of any group out there. There is no such thing as ex gay except in the mind of these sickos. If you are supposedly ex gay, are you not straight? If someone is so hyped about going from gay to straight, why not just say that? It is quite unfortunate that the city of Washington, DC recognized ex gay as a protected class. For them to give any bit of credibility is very sad.

Posted by: Bernie | Nov 1, 2012 7:53:10 PM

13. I'll believe in the "ex gay" conversion when you show me a person who goes from being completely straight to gay for the rest of their life. Otherwise I file it in the same category as unicorns, leprechauns, the Loch Ness monster and the Kardashians ever being taken seriously. Some peole want to believe, but come on, really?

Posted by: BETTY | Nov 1, 2012 8:05:24 PM

14. Mr Swain and all ADULTS should have the right to live their lives as they choose. However, the state, society has an obligation to protect children against the malpractice of reparative therapy.

Posted by: andrew | Nov 1, 2012 10:12:23 PM

15. Oh, but I must know at which truck stop, rest stop, bath house or gay bar the lovely "Jason" did his research? One or more or all of the above? You must have liked it, otherwise, your "research" would have stopped, just like your gay friend "turned off by the gay scene" because he thought someone was looking at his crotch. Maybe they were eyeing the huge boner your friend had, just because he was standing in a gay bar. You are a pathetic joke, Jason. Really.

Posted by: millerbeach | Nov 2, 2012 3:57:57 AM

16. Dear Cameron, if you've ever had a crush or an attraction for a girl, please continue on your path. If not, you're only going to hurt the woman you'll choose. Choose a healthy monogamous lifestyle, sure, and it should be with someone you can love.

Posted by: tara17 | Nov 2, 2012 9:30:03 AM

17. I think most people are bisexual... so maybe he should try embracing that..

Posted by: meh | Nov 6, 2012 8:53:22 AM

18. I am with Johnny, above; but as I have mentioned before, at my age, and what I have seen past friends go through, there is no 'cure' and people who are gay and decide to get married are doing a disservice to their spouses. Too many suicides by kids forced to 'change' by ignorant parents as well. I am 59, I have seen it all!

Posted by: bill | Nov 19, 2012 8:56:15 AM

19. You know, it would be much better for these therapists to hold treatments to overcome laziness and procrastination tendencies.

Much more useful for mankind.

Posted by: GrowingUp31 | Nov 21, 2012 12:00:48 PM