FOX News | News | Ohio | Rachel Maddow

Fox Reporter Apologizes For Calling Rachel Maddow 'Angry Young Man'

Cta_triciamackie

Tricia Macke, a Fox reporter in Cincinnati, Ohio, has apologized for called MSNBC host Rachel Maddow "an angry young man" on Facebook.

The remark itself caused an immediate flurry on Macke's Facebook page, with friends and fans alike wagging a finger at the anchor, criticism that only strengthened Macke's resolve. "I'm sorry," she wrote to one critic. "I should have said antagonistic."

Macke may have found it funny at the time, but she changed her tune yesterday after GLAAD, Equality Ohio other LGBT rights groups brought national attention and shame to both Macke and her bosses at Fox 19. And, yes, both have offered contrition.

Following a note from management on Fox 19's Facebook page in which they apologized for Macke's remarks, the reporter herself called the comments "insensitive and inappropriate." She went on, "I apologize to Ms. Maddow and any others who may have been offended by my comments, as they do not reflect my firm beliefs in individual and equal rights, and they certainly do not represent the opinions or position of my employer WXIX-TV."

No word on whether Maddow has accepted the apology or even cares.

I've included a screenshot of Macke's anti-Maddow Facebook feed AFTER THE JUMP.

MackieMaddow

Comments

1. @ Pepesf,

Although I only teach at the college level, giving high school and middle school kids a fair atmosphere is near and dear to my heart. You couldn't possibly deny that there is a nasty double standard in elementary, middle and high schools regarding anti-gay slurs vs. anti-female slurs, as they are used in hallways and even classrooms. If you even attempted to deny that, I'd say you live on another planet. That nasty double standard is one reason why middle school and high school kids often feel abandoned by society. That double standard has to go, and if you and your own female friends are in the way, be prepared for the majority of your fellow Americans (especially the court system) to push you aside. The one-sided situation in middle and high schools which protects female students, but not gay/bisexual male students, from sexual slurs that disrupt the educational mission of the school is an abomination. Tricia Macke, the news anchor in this post, only perpetuates that abomination.

Posted by: Artie_in_Lauderdale | Nov 10, 2012 12:14:36 PM

2. I thought it was funny.

Posted by: Cocteau | Nov 10, 2012 12:40:42 PM

3. @ Cocteau,

Point taken. There's nothing wrong with humor as long as everyone has a fair shot. So Tricia Macke thinks, "Oh, look. Rachel Maddow's a lesbian that I disagree with, so I'll call her an angry young man, even though she's a woman. Ha ha ha." Fine. As long a the guys on Comedy Central, like Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert, can call Tricia Macke an angry young tw*t. As long as it's a fair playing field, I can laugh along. If it's not a fair playing field, not so much.

Posted by: Artie_in_Lauderdale | Nov 10, 2012 12:54:30 PM

4. Yes, Tinkerbell -- a woman whose broken through the glass ceiling, has become the face of her network, and sits at a national nightly news desk totally cares what an over-bronzed local news bunny thinks of her.

High school is over, and the role are now reversed.

Maybe you could wrap your little frosted blonde head around that.

Doll.

Posted by: Gry | Nov 10, 2012 4:11:59 PM

5. I have a real problem when someone like this so called journalist makes an apology that is so fake and disingenuous. The initial comments she made about Rachel Maddow are really how she feels and thinks about Rachel and obviously GLBT people in general. At least she should be woman enough to own these feelings and not offer such a fake apology. Her alleged contrition means absolutely nothing! If Fox had any backbone, they would discipline this journalist and maybe then they could say they offer fair and balanced news. Fair and balanced and Fox news is an oxymoron.

Posted by: Bernie | Nov 10, 2012 5:02:01 PM

6. @Artie,

What Jason says is simply indefensible and you know it. He's not saying some women, he's saying all women, as in "makeup is a metaphor for women, it hides things until the claws come out." If you want to educate yourself on Jason's insanity, just read the comments to any story that mentions a woman, in any role, as well as other countries, races etc. Jason says the same crazy thing time and time again.

Your point is really a separate one. You seem to want to be able to call women nasty names when they call us nasty names. Your broader point, I think, is that being anti-gay is more socially acceptable than being anti-woman. That's undoubtedly true since women are half the population so they start with a large numerical advantage. But I have no interest in attacking a woman for being a woman, which is Jason's game. Attack this piece of trash for the idiotic things she says, and that's it.

Everyone should remember that, by a large margin, women are more supportive of gay marriage, and we owe much of our progress to them. Jason makes sweeping comments that all women are homophobic, but completely ignores the truth to get to his position.

Posted by: Brian | Nov 10, 2012 6:54:48 PM

7. Idiot Blond

Posted by: Andy | Nov 10, 2012 8:03:02 PM

8. This coming from a woman who has a butch haircut?

Posted by: WOW | Nov 10, 2012 9:45:31 PM

9. journo-twink could have won ru paul's drag race modeling the faux purr

Posted by: my2cents | Nov 10, 2012 9:59:34 PM

10. Cocteau- I thought it was funny too.

The rest of you, lighten up, I see Colbert and Stewart take pot shots at FOX constantly. SNL, the same. People who live in Waterford houses shouldnt toss ashtrays.

Posted by: HA!!! | Nov 10, 2012 11:15:44 PM

11. Tricia, your hair, make-up, and spray tan make you look exactly like a 1960s department store mannequin that, somehow, is still on display. I'm sorry if that offends you.

Posted by: agcons | Nov 11, 2012 2:50:36 AM

12. It WAS funny though I'm sure Rachael has been completely destroyed by it! Move on crybabies.

Posted by: UFFDA | Nov 11, 2012 4:49:08 AM

13. I also thought the comment was amusing. I particularly liked two comebacks - "your Fox is showing" and the one which dressed her down comparing her credentials to Maddow's. I'm sure by now someone has sent Maddow this exchange and everyone laughed their @sses off over this local TV wannabe.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Nov 11, 2012 8:43:31 AM

14. I'm guessing she was angling for a guest hosting gig on Fox & Friends. I guess now that she's apologized, she's disqualified.

Posted by: txstevo | Nov 11, 2012 8:59:22 PM

15. She looks about as fake as a $3 with a very short shelf life. Yeah, she better work it now, because those plastic looks will really begin to fade in about five years. As Judge Judy likes to say, "Beauty fades, stupid is forever". Never more true. I guess I am just a bit surprised at the venom the GOP has displayed with this loss. I always knew they were sore losers, but maybe they were so sure of a victory, they don't know what to do, so they attack. I wonder if they ever tire of being in "attack mode" all the time? Good thing I'm happy and gay! LOL

Posted by: millerbeach | Nov 12, 2012 12:35:26 AM

16. At least to Tricia’s credit she looks like a real lady, something that she probably wished Rachel Maddow looked like all along, that way she’d feel better about all them obstinate media people that Tricia has resigned herself to having to do a delicate dance around.

Posted by: scallywag | Nov 13, 2012 7:21:21 PM