Gay Marriage | Lady Gaga | News

Lady Gaga Urges Vote for Marriage Equality in Maine, Maryland, Washington and Minnesota: VIDEO

Gaga

In a new video for The Four, Lady Gaga urges voters to approve marriage equality in Maryland, Maine, and Washington and vote against the anti-gay amendment in Minnesota.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. FINALLY she gets off her over-privileged ass and does something for us !

She has claimed to support us for years so we make her rich but she has actually done VERY little to actually support us.

ACTIONS speak louder than WORDS.
    Is she going to send this recorded message out to her millions of Twitter fans ? If not then it was a waste of time recording it.

Gaga never reTweets any messages from HRC or anything else for us. With her millions of followers she could really make a difference but she doesn't bother. I don't think she dislikes gays but she certainly doesn't like us enough to actually help us. She is now more focused on her millions and making more millions - she now has truly become the new Madonna ! Self, self, self.

Posted by: Icebloo | Nov 2, 2012 5:30:06 PM

2. @Icebloo: I'm sure Gaga is very busy with many other things (like a crummy ad campaign for her perfume) — she is the penultimate capitalist, not surprising as she is also an American AND a New Yorker. She is also completely channeling Britanny Murphy (God bless her soul), which maybe explains other aspects of her disconnected personality. I would not EVER want to be Lady Gaga, and the more I see, the more this is confirmed. For me. Personally. Excuse me, I have an ad campaign to attend to now.

Posted by: tinkerbell | Nov 2, 2012 5:41:36 PM

3. Do you seriously think that the ordinary Joe is going to listen to Ladg Gaga? Lady Gaga is an elitist. People don't listen to elitists.

Posted by: jason | Nov 2, 2012 6:14:56 PM

4. @icebloo - finally? did all those marriage equality and DADT rallies not count? how about the youth empowerment organization she founded? or the music that's helped countless queer kids embrace their differences?

Posted by: jesse | Nov 2, 2012 6:52:48 PM

5. Has anyone seen the Billboard music charts lately? There is not one - repeat, not one - openly gay or bisexual male singer in the Top 100. It's like an anti-gay holocaust.

Instead of lauding over Lady Gaga, the gay media needs to be taking the industry to task for its complete and utter homophobia in relation to male homosexuality.

Posted by: jason | Nov 2, 2012 7:14:36 PM

6. Cyndi Lauper ang Gaga should do a duet!!! Can you imagine both ladies singing a duet about Equality? WOW!! I can only wish!!

Posted by: Josh | Nov 2, 2012 7:44:50 PM

7. Jason, I actually agree with you for once. Why are gay people more than happy to get GagGag, Rihanna, Britney, Katy, etc, to the top of the charts, but don't even bother trying to support gay male singers? And why aren't gay people speaking up on this BS? It's pathetic.

Posted by: Jason is right | Nov 2, 2012 8:58:46 PM

8. Jason Is Right,

I totally agree with you.

The gay media has been negligent. It has failed to take on the music industry and its appalling homophobia towards openly gay and bisexual male performers. As I said earlier, I cannot see one - repeat, not even one - openly gay or bisexual male singer in the Billboard Hot 100.

While the gay media keeps reminding us of Madonna and Lady Gaga and their marketing strategies aimed at gay and bisexual men, it fails to do its duty of taking on the music industry's obvious homophobia towards openly gay and bisexual male performers.

If I see another piece in the gay media about how gay-friendly these female pop singers are, I think I'm going to scream. It's a ruse designed to make us forget about the total lack of gay and bi men in the music charts.

Posted by: jason | Nov 2, 2012 9:18:15 PM

9. I'm also sick of how gullible gay men are and how they fall for this crap. It seems like all a female celeb has to do is say something "I have lots of gay friends" and gay men automatically put them on a pedestal and declare them a "gay icon". It's ridiculous. It speaks volumes how EVERY SINGLE "gay icon" is a straight/faux-bi woman and never a gay celeb. Ironic, huh? But this is what happens when gay people don't call out the record industry for their homophobia.

Posted by: Jason is right | Nov 2, 2012 9:28:07 PM

10. Jason Is Right,

You got it right, man.

Posted by: jason | Nov 2, 2012 9:56:21 PM

11. " It speaks volumes how EVERY SINGLE "gay icon" is a straight/faux-bi woman and never a gay celeb."

Ugh. How much is wrong with this conversation?

(1) Lady Gaga is, in fact, bisexual.
    (2) She has done great and concrete good for actual LGBT people, for HIV prevention, and for LGBT political advocacy. Far more than any of us will ever do. Just check her Wikipedia page, for a start.
    (3) There have always been plenty of openly gay icons around, from Marlene Dietrich to the Pet Shop Boys, and Darren Criss.
    (4) LGBT people compose, what, 5% of the population? We don't control the Billboard 100.
    (5) Adam Levine of Maroon 5 may not be gay, but who cares? He appears multiple times on the Billboard 100, and he does more for LGBT advancement than 99% of gay people ever will.

Posted by: BABH | Nov 2, 2012 10:40:30 PM

12. @ Babh: Um, fact-checker please. Darren Criss is straight as an arrow.

Posted by: Randal Oulton | Nov 2, 2012 11:17:14 PM

13. and boy everyone here so americano centric. check out yehonathan, israeli gay singer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0daQjk6yuAk

Posted by: Randal Oulton | Nov 2, 2012 11:19:25 PM

14. What kind of ridiculousness is this? I support musicians because I like their music, not because I like their politics. I will AVOID musicians because of their politics, but why would you expect anyone to listen to music they don't enjoy? I'll buy music from musicians that put out good music.

You can't berate the public (in this case, the readers of this site) for not supporting gay male musicians. This blog does a lot to publicize up and coming gay musicians, and when I hear a song I like, I'll buy it. Maybe your criticism should be reserved for the media controllers who deny publicity? Without publicity, you can't get public support. Clearchannel is an obvious culprit.

Posted by: Mike B. | Nov 2, 2012 11:20:47 PM

15. BABH,

Lady Gaga is not bisexual. She appears to be a female who uses her sexuality as a marketing ploy to titillate sleazy straight guys. That's how these women get the attention of the media, the same media that oppresses gay and bisexual men.

As for Adam Levine, LOL. Get your glasses checked, dearie. Adam markets himself as a 100% heterosexual despite rumors that he's had relationships with men. Therein lies the problem.

The last thing we need is "bisexual" female singers representing us men. The last thing we need is gay or bisexual male singers pretending to be straight for mass consumption. We need openly gay or bisexual men in the music charts.

Posted by: jason | Nov 2, 2012 11:37:57 PM

16. Fully Flaming Liar Opportunist. Off with her head!

Posted by: brion | Nov 2, 2012 11:57:52 PM

17. @Randal: Sorry, was I trying to think of Chris Colfer rather than Darren Criss? Young people all look alike to me, and my memory for names isn't all it used to be.

And of course Gaga is bisexual. She's had girlfriends and boyfriends, and she self-identifies as bi. There's really no definition of bisexual that she doesn't fit.

Posted by: BABH | Nov 3, 2012 12:11:57 AM

18. BABH,

I would suspect that Lady Gaga may be lie-sexual, not bisexual.

Posted by: jason | Nov 3, 2012 12:21:25 AM

19. @Tinkerbell

She likes to think she is a New Yorker but I did not see her at the Hurricane Sandy Benefit Concert (I had to listen to Christina Aguilera screech her way through a song) or in ads telling people to donate to the Red Cross to help victims.

Posted by: Sam | Nov 3, 2012 12:44:49 AM

20. Is Gaga from Maryland? If not, then who is she to interfere and throw her weight around in its local politics? Just sing your la-di-da song Gaga. There's nothing more annoying than a "political" musician.

Posted by: Miguel A. Mendoza | Nov 3, 2012 12:51:22 AM

21. @Miguel: The human rights have no borders.

Should we remain silent on Iran, North Korea and Saudi, too?

Posted by: Chris | Nov 3, 2012 1:11:09 AM

22. Thank you, Lady Gaga.

Posted by: gc | Nov 3, 2012 1:21:54 AM

23. Oh, please. Gaga is bisexual like a drunk frat girl: for attention. And anyone saying that gays are 5% of the population is an idiot--self-identity surveys conducted on random people by strangers just don't cut it. Ask straight people about sex and you'll find out that men are having more of it and with more partners than women. Possible? No. These lowball surveys don't jibe with what we know about gay consumer behavior, which suggests we're actually closer to 12% of the population.

That said, this is a nice gesture by Gaga, and I'm personally glad that she endorsed, supported, but did not try to co-opt. I'm still a little angry about her DADT call stunt that actually held the vote up by making fence-sitters LESS eager to vote for open service, but I do think that her support is genuine.

So just let's say, "she's right," instead of attack, k?

Posted by: jd | Nov 3, 2012 5:37:26 AM

24. It wouldn't have hurt her to look into the camera for a part of that. She seemed really shifty in this.

And the Billboard charts are really NOT the be all and end all of representation. It's one little magazine that monitors a variety of musical genres. If you want to be up in arms, direct it toward the election where it will really make a difference.

Posted by: Tim | Nov 3, 2012 5:52:27 AM

25. Preaching to the choir does nothing to further the cause.

Anyone who is a Gaga fan is most likely already in favor of marriage equality, so this gesture is purely symbolic.

Posted by: johnny | Nov 3, 2012 5:59:01 AM