Comic Books | Film | News

BigGayDeal.com

'Guardians of the Galaxy' Director James Gunn Apologizes for Blog Posts Perceived to be Homophobic and Sexist

James Gunn, writer and director of the Disney-Marvel adaptation of the Guardians of the Galaxy comic is apologizing on Facebook after old blog posts perceived to be homophobic and sexist were brought to the attention of the public by fan sites.

GunnWrites Gunn on his Facebook page:

A couple of years ago I wrote a blog that was meant to be satirical and funny. In rereading it over the past day I don't think it's funny. The attempted humor in the blog does not represent my actual feelings. However, I can see where statements were poorly worded and offensive to many. I'm sorry and regret making them at all.

People who are familiar with me as evidenced by my Facebook page and other mediums know that I'm an outspoken proponent for the rights of the gay and lesbian community, women and anyone who feels disenfranchised, and it kills me that some other outsider like myself, despite his or her gender or sexuality, might feel hurt or attacked by something I said. We're all in the same camp, and I want to do my best to make this world a better place for all of us. I'm learning all the time. I promise to be more careful with my words in the future. And I will do my best to be funnier as well. Much love to all - James

Comments

1. I'm willing to accept it. He doesn't run, at least it seems, in professional circles where this is tolerated.

Posted by: Polyboy | Nov 30, 2012 2:34:03 PM

2. Now THAT'S an apology!!!!

Posted by: wds | Nov 30, 2012 2:49:18 PM

3. Wow, an actual heartfelt apology. These are so rare it takes me a minute to even recognize them. He takes full responsibility. He didn't mean any offense as he was trying to be funny but he realizes his attempt at humor failed and was offensive to many. This wasn't a quickly scratched off "Sorry if you were offended" but a real apology. Hopefull people will be able to forgive him.

Posted by: KP | Nov 30, 2012 2:50:53 PM

4. That's TWICE in the last week that liberals have demonstrated what an apology is supposed to sound like. None of this, "I'm sorry you got your feelings hurt" B.S. (The other was Stephanie Miller's apology over her lack of due diligence with the Salvation Army.)

Posted by: Caliban | Nov 30, 2012 2:56:21 PM

5. That is how one apologizes.

Posted by: Mawm | Nov 30, 2012 2:57:36 PM

6. Heartfelt apologies still do exist. It just doesn't exist with people who don't mean what they're saying. James I believe does. Thank you, Mr. Gunn.

Posted by: Francis | Nov 30, 2012 3:04:53 PM

7. Mensch.

Posted by: David R. | Nov 30, 2012 3:59:54 PM

8. I agree that this is what an apology is, not the passive-aggressive BS that is usually offered up by people who only regret getting called on the carpet for stuff they had every intention of saying.

BTW, is there a statute of limitations on things people said some time ago?

When I was in junior high, I remember calling my best friend a fruit, even though I had no idea what it was supposed to mean, except that it was derogatory. For a seventh-grader, he had the exceptional courage and calm to confront me: "Do you know what that means?" I admitted I did not. "Well, this is what it means," he said, explaining that it meant he was a homosexual pervert. "So don't use it again," he instructed me. I am reasonably sure he was and is straight, but he taught me a lesson that few people our age in 1963 even knew needed to be taught.

So I just want to say that I am sorry for saying that -- even though I was probably unconsciously flirting -- then and all the other times I used it and other words to put people down. The fact that I was ignorant is no excuse. If I want to use a word, I should know what that word means. And if it means something demeaning, I should not use it. Then or now. So I am sorry I did it, but I am happy that I had a friend who called me on it. I have no idea where he is today, but here's a shout of thanks to Joe. I needed that.

Posted by: Damien | Nov 30, 2012 4:11:38 PM

9. Works for me. All is forgiven.

Posted by: Seattle Mike | Nov 30, 2012 4:59:20 PM

10. Apology accepted Mr. Gunn. Carry on.

Posted by: Oz in OK | Nov 30, 2012 6:56:06 PM

11. As Golden Girl Dorothy said to Sophia: "Too Wittle Too Wate" Satirical or not when his words went public and not immediately recanted or withdrawn means he intended to stand by them, now that he has been attached to a big project and our dollars are needed he issues a mea culpa. Thanks but no thanks.

Posted by: DC Arnold | Dec 1, 2012 6:01:41 PM

12. @Damien, I believe because of the nature of the internet and how facts, timeliness and reason are not necessary for enraged reactions, if you want to be absolved you must have the charisma required to make everyone absolve you.

So if he wrote a witty "apology" that just skewered the ideas of humor and offense, he would be able to do the crime and not take any flack. I think it's all up to the accused in here.

Posted by: Fenrox | Dec 3, 2012 11:43:41 AM