Harvey Milk | News

BigGayDeal.com

A Sad Anniversary

Paper_milk

Thirty-four years ago today. RIP Milk and Moscone, and thank you.

Happening later this afternoon in SF:

Join the Moscone & Milk Family, Mayor Lee, Mayor Brown, Current & Past Supervisors, the SFGM Chorus, and Friends of Mayor Moscone and Supervisor Milk today at 4:30 pm for a candlelit remembrance on the steps of City Hall.

Comments

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzpphBNal7g

To Harvey and all the vanguards who came out in a time far more unforgiving and dangerous than today, thank you for opening the doors for me.

it's still an appalling moment in history. not just the assassination, but the affront to human justice that was the verdict.

i know a great many believe, as i do, that had White only assassinated Mayor Moscone he would have received a harsher sentence....

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Nov 27, 2012 12:50:53 PM

2. I've always hated that headline. How was it "a shooting"? Two people were murdered. So it was "shootings."

Posted by: Paul R | Nov 27, 2012 1:03:05 PM

3. It was a beneficial workout for me to go through your webpage. It definitely stretches the limits with the mind when you go through very good info and make an effort to interpret it properly. I am going to glance up this web site usually on my PC. Thanks for sharing

Posted by: research paper | Nov 27, 2012 1:15:30 PM

4. i believe a shooting is plural enough otherwise if it were one person he/she was shot? RIP Harvey MILK. Hoping maybe one day i could be the first ever lgbt president. Wish me luck I'm a cook right now and i do have a past in exotic dancing and fostercare before that. i guess i should understand the corruption more than most people and i've overcome quite a bit in my short life. I'll be running in 2024.

Posted by: Alexander | Nov 27, 2012 1:46:33 PM

5. I want to thank all you younger people for keeping this history alive. It would be so easy to just forget about it. I was a newly out, college freshman when this happened. I remember it like it was yesterday. I got back to my dorm room after my morning classes, heard the news on the radio and broke into tears. We have progressed so much since then.

Remember: Thanks to Harvey and all of our collective hard work as a community, it really does get better!

Posted by: Tom | Nov 27, 2012 2:11:11 PM

6. I can clearly remember hearing the news. I was driving up Granville St. in Vancouver BC from the airport when a new flash came on the radio that the mayor and a supervisor had been shot and killed. I assumed that it had been Milk, not sure why, but we were all concerned at the time that Milk was an obvious target of an extremist.

Posted by: Jim E | Nov 27, 2012 3:43:47 PM

7. Has it been established if Dan White was self-loathing or not? He fits the mold. The shooting itself did not solve his demons, given his later suicide.

I was in SF about a month before this happened, so I don't have a personal recollection of events there.

Posted by: anon | Nov 27, 2012 6:03:32 PM

8. I can still remember the day I heard this news back when I was a college senior. It was also approximately a week after the Jonestown massacre:(

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Nov 28, 2012 3:32:59 AM

9. Like many residing in S.F. at that time and for us who them both as friends, the hurt is still there. It was bad enough,that in the 1960s,it was the time of national political assassinations. JFK,MLK,RFK and we never expected something could happen like this on a local level. Mayor Moscone was elected a couple of years before Harvey. He helped the Gay Rights movement by being at all kinds of gay events and fund raisers for various causes. Harvey took on the Anita Bryant's and John Brigg's of our times. However, after they were assassinated, the movement moved forward but at a snails pace.

I believe the advent of the www and the movie "Milk",that introduced Harvey,George and that era in the S.F. gay rights movement to millions and millions of people,gay and straight,young and old, here in America and around the world has helped make the 21 century more gay friendly then ever before.

I often wonder "what if?" JFK,MLK,RFK and Harvey and George had lived... I honestly believe America would of been greater on all levels,locally and nationally. We still have a way to go for equal rights for all gays. We own our thanks to Harvey and George and all the pioneers in our march for equality... were getting closer every day!

Posted by: Jerry Pritikin aka The Bleacher Preacher | Nov 28, 2012 7:41:38 AM

10. PP2000/LEXIA-3 Schnittstelle funktioniert sowohl für Citroen als auch Peugeot!csh

Posted by: Auto Diagnostic Tool | Dec 4, 2012 3:22:09 AM

11. Obd2 Scanner - 323 results like MaxiScan MS309 OBD2 Scanner Car Diagnostic Code Reader

Posted by: obd2 scanner | Dec 10, 2012 10:16:43 PM