Comments

1. EchtKultig says

I suspect most other chains would attract similar hordes of attention-seeking douchebags if they offered a year of free food for camping out at openings. What I wonder is if Sh-t-Fil-A has always done this, or if it’s a recent bit of astroturfing.

In any case I was worried about the debacle of this summer increasing reich-wing turn out: “them libruls done is bannin’ muh chick-fil-a cause the owner luvs Jesus”…it probably did minutely increase turnout. But not as much as the shear horror of Romney increased democratic turnout.

2. Tom in long beach says

It’s nice they give their employees Sundays, Thanksgiving and Christmas off. But I would go hungry rather than give them $ 1.00. All the people inside are as enlightened as customers that saw nothing wrong with “Whites Only” policies in diners in the 1960s.

3. Anthony says

Do you people honestly realize that some people just go eat there for the food? Trust me, I don’t eat there (or fast food in general), but this issue is a waste of time. Move on.

4. turing's ghost says

I live in California. Walnut Creek is not the red South. This company (the restaurant that shall not speak its name) will need more than 100 people to return their investment. I predict this location to be closed within 2 years for lack of business assuming they keep up their hateful policies.

5. Dan says

In my personal opinion I think it is wrong to assume that just because you eat at Chick-Fil-A that you are homophobic. Keeping in mind that countless members of the GLBT community shop at Walmart, The Gap, Nike ETC ETC ETC (consume Nestle Chocolate products) which are all documented companies founded on sweat shops and child slavery. So regardless if you do not purchase anything at this particular establishment somewhere down the line another human being will suffer because of your actions.

6. TomTom says

Are these people homeless? Why else would you sleep in a tent for a free crappy ass chicken sandwich? If not, I would highly suggest they get something called a life.

7. MickyFlip says

Obviously they’re all camping out for the free food. If BK, Mickey Dee’z or Wendy’s did the same thing w/ coupons for free food for a year. People would be camping out there too. I agree w Turing’s Ghost comment. Let’s see how business is in a year or so.

8. Gast says

lol the other day I heard a political radio commentator talk about the chick-fil-a effect as if it was the backlash that would pull a landslide for Romney. Chick-fil-a is a failed effort as is anything those haters put forth.

9. GregV says

Well, I’ll have to say this is wise marketing. Chik-fil-A tells a bunch of people who aren’t very good at math that they will get free food for a year. Then they give the winners 52 coupons for combo meals, which will probably cost the company about $6000 in food costs in total for that entite crowd of people.
    If any of the winners treats his family of four to the artery-sludging combo meal for each meal they have starting tonight, all the coupons from this “year’s supply” will be gone by this coming Tuesday.

Personally, I wouldn’t spend a penny at Chik-Fil-A. And even if I won this prize, I’d have to throw most of the haul in the garbage.

10. Rik says

As one of the co-organizers of the protest in Walnut Creek, CA yesterday, I can attest to the decency of the store manager Brent. He did bring us water, and several times throughout the day, including during a downpour of rain, came out to check on us. While we only started with a dozen people at 9am, by 6pm we have about 50+. And contrary to what is above, the protest was about Winshape, not Cathy’s attitudes on equality.

11. Richard Harney says

I would stand in line for an opening at Chick Fil A. That means I would get free food there and would not have to give them any money for that free food. I will eat at chick Fil A, so long as they break even or lose money on me.

I did a BWW opening and they give you 6 free wings per week for one year. If you miss a week, it is too bad, you missed out.