Gay Media | News

BigGayDeal.com

If You Prefer Your Gay Magazines without Rainbow Flags or Men With Chiseled Abs: VIDEO

Hellomr

Then Hello Mr., a start-up publication out of Australia for "men who date men" which is seeking funding on Kickstarter might appeal to you.

They write:

What you won't find here are articles tagged with recycled stock imagery of multicolored flags waving in pride, hand-painted demands for equal rights, or idolized midsections of seemingly flawless men. If that's your thing, there is a sea of glossy mags filled with those images readily available at your local newsstand. We believe that Hello Mr. can address the need, felt by the modern majority, to rebrand 'gay' and move beyond any unrepresentative depictions defined by our past.

Check out their video, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. what is, specifically, "displaying gayness 24/7"?

i've been Out for so long that i've forgotten what people mean when they say that....

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Nov 12, 2012 4:40:16 PM

2. I side with JustMe over LittleKiwi on this. LittleKiwi in this tirade you appear to be nothing more than Rick inside out. Although you are clearly bright and I often agree with you, you are putting words in JustMe's mouth so that you can screech in a self-righteous and sanctimonious manner.
    I also have never felt like I fit in with gay society despite being drawn to it. Of course I never felt like I fit in anywhere. At this point, except for a few important friends, I avoid gay society. Most of my time is spent with straight couples now. Most gays are becoming more like straights anyway. So what is this society except an interest in the one common denominator which is sex.

Posted by: Markt | Nov 12, 2012 4:45:21 PM

3. You tell me, you are asking that I do it otherwise im somehow a coward or hiding! Funnily enough ive been out for 23 years since I was 15, I suspect the only difference is that I have to actually tell people.

People like you are a dime a dozen, being out is more important than being gay, you have lost perspective. Its all over your blog, all over your posts.

Posted by: JustMe | Nov 12, 2012 4:46:45 PM

4. uh...JustMe, that's the pot calling the kettle sparkling pink.

i've not told you how to be. "gay" or otherwise.

what, specifically, is "displaying gayness 24/7"? i have no idea what that means.

is that like when someone says "i don't need to tell people that i'm gay, and that doesn't mean i'm ashamed of it"? ;-)

oh, and hey "I Like The Idea" - please share the URL to your own page so i can see what a truly empowered homosexual looks like.
    ;-)

as for MarkT, what specifically is Gay Society?

is it the bars in Chelsea, with are markedly different from the bars in the East Village, which are markedly different from the bars in Williamsburg, which themselves are different from the bars in the West Village and Harlem? is it social groups? if so, which ones? sports clubs? film clubs? book groups? pockets of friends who expand their spheres into different social and domestic hang-outs?

you avoid "gay society" - wow. that's healthy ;-)

now, articulate that with specifics. what are you specifically talking about? there's more to gay society than bars and clubs. every gay man who lives in the real world knows this.

i've not put words in JustMe's mouth. He's put 'em in mine. Namely, by insisting that i'm telling him to "be" something, which i've not done. if you feel i have, please copy and paste it.

clarity, always ;-)

ok, so you never felt like you fit in anywhere, and that includes gay society. wow. good for you!

does that mean that everyone else is the problem, and not you, since you can't seem to find Your Place?

that you, by your own words, are intentionally AVOIDING what you feel is "gay society" only proves my point for me. again.

so thanks.

you can't avoid something and then complain about not being accepted, sugar.

and it's not the fault of other gay people that you gave up on finding a group or circle of Brothers to spend time with.

i did the work, i did the hunt, i found my people.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Nov 12, 2012 4:52:17 PM

5. oh, you live in a small town eh?

i just think it's funny that the people who complain most about the lack of diversity and the lack of Different Types are the very same people who give every excuse in the book to remain anonymous......

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Nov 12, 2012 4:56:10 PM

6. Get over yourself..

You are completely delusional, there is no point in talking to someone that messed up and narrow minded. Clearly you are so invested in 'gay culture' (your version of it) that you dont even know what the real world looks like any more.

You keep saying im avoiding gay culture then dont define what it is, even though ive already said i dont avoid it, only the club culture. As i said this magasine has it wrong, but no less wrong than you.

Posted by: JustMe | Nov 12, 2012 5:02:48 PM

7. Oh look here we go again, Littlekiwi is the bravest man alive... yadda yadda.. yawn..

Posted by: JustMe | Nov 12, 2012 5:05:36 PM

8. Specifics, please. what is "displaying gayness 24/7" ?

i wouldn't say i'm terribly invested in gay culture. those who are so invested in it are, actually, the ones who are invested in distancing themselves from it.

i've not said you avoid gay culture. that was MarkT.

breathe, child. B R E A T H E.

if you want people to change their perceptions of what Gay Means it simply requires one thing: more gay people to stand up to be noticed, to be counted, to be identified as gay.

it's that simple. easy? no. but simple.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Nov 12, 2012 5:06:40 PM

9. I agree and I do, it doesn't mean I have to do it the way you do.

Posted by: JustMe | Nov 12, 2012 5:09:05 PM

10. The boys in the add seemed terribly bland- so perhaps the magazine is aimed at dull gay men.

Posted by: jaragon | Nov 12, 2012 5:09:07 PM

11. certainly not the bravest. not by a long shot. and no hero either.

but at least i'm not making my comments from behind my Internet-Burqa

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Nov 12, 2012 5:09:08 PM

12. Jaragon, that's what I'm thinking, too.

i don't think this about "gay men who aren't camp" as much as it's "gay men who are boring and devoid of wit"

which, unfortunately, there's a market for.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Nov 12, 2012 5:11:17 PM

13. Littlekiwi, the problem is you seem to think of yourself as some kind of roll model, yet throughout your blogs and posts ive not seen you actually DO anything terribly constructive. Its all self promotion, delusion and you are only lying to yourself. Im sure some of the 5 people that read your blog are mighty impressed, as are the 20 people that read other blogs that link to it.

Posted by: JustMe | Nov 12, 2012 5:13:01 PM

14. Do you really think that having your blog and face on the internet means a damn thing? Really???

Posted by: JustMe | Nov 12, 2012 5:14:52 PM

15. enough people, especially younger ones, have written to thank me. so yeah :)

i'm not much of a role-model, actually. but what i am is someone who refuses to hide.

just think - if more gays "like you" were as visible as I am you'd have your very own community by now.
    ;-)

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Nov 12, 2012 5:31:31 PM

16. Gay men are going to be 're-branded' by Australians? Please. Let's see, you mean the land that gave us Priscilla and what's that homophobic prime minister with the crap hair cut's name? Keep it down under, silly boys. When the brand is to be changed, you will be advised in due course.

Posted by: John | Nov 12, 2012 5:39:40 PM

17. What a interesting response from a clearly interested forum of men!

In releasing concepts like Hello Mr. to social media and web based forums you expect to get feedback of all shapes and sizes, and generally you look for support, but also, most importantly is the feedback. Positive, negative or indifferent. The circulation gets people talking and popularity (or lack there of) is crucial in birthing a publication into a extremely large and diverse world of magazines. So congratulations Hello Mr. You certainly have struck a cord within this community of readers.

As a young (25) man I find Hello Mr. an exciting and creative idea that comes from someone who clearly has a massive passion and is wanting to share it with the world. (Does this make me a hipster?) Everyone is entitled to an opinion, everyone is also entitled to a choice. To read Vogue or to read Vanity Fair, To pick up a news paper or to visit a web browser for an online fix. There needs to be an option for EVERYONE. Be it your cup of tea or not. There is no right or wrong here, no one is any better and certainly not any worse for wanting to create a platform for a voice to be heard and for stories to be told, be it genre specific (indie, queer, alternative.. Or any other subculture people feel attached to) or not.

So, Hello Mr. I look forward to having the option to pick up a copy of your magazine one day soon, and read it pleasure and with pride.

C'mon guys show a little love, acknowledge good, with bad and let's support each other in being happy, healthy men. (and if you're lucky enough to have a six pack then kudos to you!! *wink* )

Posted by: _MKAU | Nov 12, 2012 5:40:18 PM

18. I for one am looking forward to a post gay world.

Posted by: David | Nov 12, 2012 5:55:21 PM

19. you can't get to a post-gay world until every gay person first EMBRACES being gay.

as long as the "i'm gay but i'm not like THOSE gays" mindset exists, which is of course a homosexual's response to heterosexual anti-gay prejudice, then we wont' get there.

you can't get to step 20 without taking steps 1-19.

you wanna be post-gay? embrace gay, now. identify as gay. remove the stigma that gay = bad, or gay = One Thing Only. and to do that, every gay person has to Come Out, without apologizing for it

truly. that's the only way we'll ever get to a "post-gay" culture.

and it's not likely to happen for another few decades.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Nov 12, 2012 6:19:40 PM

20. what you resist, persists...don't be "against" abs.... just have a glbt lifestyle magazine that shows whatever you like. However, a print magazine aimed at a subculture within a subculture seems doomed to failure.

Posted by: Gary | Nov 12, 2012 6:31:57 PM

21. The way to get to Post-Gay is to simply move one.
    I DO identify as gay. I DON'T carry around a rainbow flag with me everywhere I go and call people Mary or dress in drag or have all of my body hair removed or listen Barbara Streisand or Lady Gaga. I prefer going on hikes on a weekend morning over going to brunch. I don't feel like I have to go to a gay bar if I want to go have drinks with friends. I don't feel like I have to only have gay friends.
    Different strokes for different folks. It's not that I don't like being gay. I LOVE being gay. But I'm my own kind of gay and I shouldn't have to subscribe to any stereotypes in order to be gay.
    Like the creators of this magazine said, if you want a magazine full of rainbows and ads for gay cruises, there are plenty of magazines like that that already exist. What's the harm in having a gay focused magazine with a different voice?

Posted by: David | Nov 12, 2012 6:50:37 PM

22. Here's what I wrote in the Kickstarter comments section, and I still feel this way:

"I donated because I'm all for this magazine starting, and when it comes out I'm sure I will love it and the men within. However, I also wanted to voice my annoyance with the language being used to promote it. From what you're showing on the Kickstarter site at least, this magazine is not ending the clichés found in mainstream gay magazines, it's just selecting new ones—a different subset of beautiful gay men to feature. You say we won't find "idolized midsections of seemingly flawless men," but all you've done is forego a specific gay clique, gym bunnies, for another, indie otters—and you feature a shot of idolized beautiful indie midsections on your Kickstarter page. This is a perfectly fine thing to do (I like indie otters myself), but your gorgeous men are not any more accessible or realistic to most gay men out there than the gym bunnies are. If you really want to "redefine gay," and reflect "the depth and diversity of gay men," you're going to have to go further than this."

Posted by: Michael | Nov 12, 2012 7:03:38 PM

23. Most of my gay friends are not cover or centerfold matterial, but you know what? They have long lasting relationships! I remember in the 1970s, Most of the gay guys in San Francisco were dubbed "Castro Clones", they all had mustaches,Pendelton shirts with rolled up sleeves and form fitting Levis with bleached grothed area. If you dated one, you dated them all at the same time. As a photographer, I was choosy when I picked young men to be photographed.

I always like guys who set their own fashon trend. The word "Dude" was not in their vocabulary, and they didn't smell like the Colone counter at Macy's, and they didn't have to file for bankruptcy to get a hair cut! I bought magazines for their stories and not for eye food. That's not to say I didn't look for good looking guys, but th real ones had flaws that added to their character. I knew better not to pick up somebody in a dark bar that posed in soft lights. I liked going to nude beaches and didn't have to guess who the real blonds were. Like Coca Cola, I liked the real thing!

Posted by: jerry Pritikinj | Nov 12, 2012 7:32:46 PM

24. To LittleKiwi: Yes, yes, yes and yes! In total agreement. The idea of bland, ambiguous men who live in the stylish empty houses who are so above the trash that is gay is already a very old and tired idea. Long live LittleKiwi!

Posted by: RC | Nov 12, 2012 7:46:35 PM

25. Not interested in hipsters either... yawn.

Posted by: Tre | Nov 12, 2012 8:59:45 PM