Australia | Ian Thorpe | News | Olympics

BigGayDeal.com

Ian Thorpe Again Addresses Gay Rumors In TV Interview: VIDEO

Thorpe

With his new autobiography This Is Me hitting the shelves, Australian Olympic swimmer Ian Thorpe is again having to address those persistent rumors that he's gay, as he does in an interview with Australia's ABC News AFTER THE JUMP.

In the video, starting around the 5:10 mark, Thorpe says he's less offended by the rumors and more hurt that people are questioning his integrity and refuse to take his word that he's straight. As for why his sexuality has consistently been a topic of conversation, Thorpe says he believes it's because he doesn't fit the stereotypical athlete mold.

Watch the discussion AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. The name of his book is same as Ricky Martin.

Posted by: simon | Nov 2, 2012 1:45:08 PM

2. The discomfort Thorpe is experiencing is due to the tiny, tiny room heterosexual men have built for themselves.

In 2012, it is almost easier to be a gay man, than a straight man forever required to prove and reprove and reprove his heterosexuality.

My sympathy is limited, however, as this is the system heterosexual men have designed for themselves.

I'll be gay for a million lifetimes rather than face the difficult life of a heterosexual male. ; )

Posted by: Bill | Nov 2, 2012 1:46:03 PM

3. oh gurl.

Posted by: sttlondon | Nov 2, 2012 1:47:33 PM

4. He's fighting a losing battle. I'm sure he's straight if he says so, but he's got to learn that the only opinion of himself that counts in this world is his own. No one can really achieve happiness until they come to that realization. One cannot control the thoughts and opinions of 7 billion people.

Posted by: StarGem | Nov 2, 2012 1:51:29 PM

5. Guess he will be the last to know.

Posted by: jleo71 | Nov 2, 2012 2:17:42 PM

6. It's heartbreaking to hear and watch. He seems so sweet and definitely gay.

Posted by: Ulu | Nov 2, 2012 2:25:28 PM

7. Crap, I thought he already WAS gay! Oh well, he still brought me 1-2 minutes of pleasure on multiple occasions, back when he was in the Olympics.

Posted by: Drew | Nov 2, 2012 2:37:17 PM

8. Come out or don't come out, gay or not; I just hope that he can work through his depression in a positive way. He seems like a genuinely troubled young man.

Posted by: Marc C | Nov 2, 2012 2:41:35 PM

9. Sort of Odd looking dude, but still very attractive IMHO. One of those people who could have been a big-time model with absolutely perfect looks and bone structure except at the last minute nature, God, whatever said let's give him some character.

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 2, 2012 2:55:18 PM

10. Why doesn't he just have fun with the gay rumors like Clooney or Pitt??

Posted by: jj | Nov 2, 2012 3:09:44 PM

11. Okay Ian, if you say so. But, my lying eyes see it differently.

Posted by: MyMy | Nov 2, 2012 3:22:08 PM

12. If he is in fact straight, I kind of feel badly for him. His looks and mannerisms certainly say otherwise...

Posted by: AriesMatt | Nov 2, 2012 3:56:21 PM

13. Sure, Ian. Clay Aiken and Ricky Martin also swore that they were straight FOR YEARS.

Look where they are now - that'll be you in 5 to ten years, Ian.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Nov 2, 2012 4:05:02 PM

14. Oh, OK, Ian. Sure, honey, you're very straight. Don't worry. We all believe you.

Posted by: Francis | Nov 2, 2012 4:11:28 PM

15. Purses don't come out of his mouth like Taylor Lautner but it's still quite obvious.

Posted by: Sam | Nov 2, 2012 4:13:24 PM

16. Wow. It's pretty clear from this comment thread that the biggest perpetrators of these gay rumors are themselves gay men. Why can't you take his word for it?

Posted by: David | Nov 2, 2012 4:31:01 PM

17. He's not gay. Next!

Posted by: JEFFUWS | Nov 2, 2012 4:35:32 PM

18. agreed David. A lot of queen of wishful thinking disease going on here

Posted by: Astro | Nov 2, 2012 4:55:35 PM

19. I always thought Ian was gay (since he first came into the Australian spotlight at 16) and felt incredible sympathy for him - how hard it is for any of us to deal with our sexuality is multiplied by a thousand when it's taking place in the public spotlight. I discussed it with one of my gay friends (who knows Ian very well) a few years ago and he vehemently disagreed with me, saying that Thorpie was straight. I let the matter drop, and it remained unspoken about until a couple of years ago, when he called me and said that I'd actually been correct. I asked him what changed his mind, and he said "Ian came onto my boyfriend the other night. Didn't leave much room for doubt after that".

It's very sad that he feels the need to deny in the press who he really is. Apart from the fact that he'd be a great role model for young gay athletes, I'm sure it would be a huge burden released and he could get on with his life.

Posted by: Luke | Nov 2, 2012 5:48:35 PM

20. I will note that even while proclaiming his heterosexuality, he's still playing the Pronoun Game: "...finding the right person...", "...when I'm in a relationship with someone...."

My heart goes out to him, whether gay or straight or somewhere in between, because he seems very lonely.

Posted by: Drew | Nov 2, 2012 6:12:45 PM

21. Yeah, I found that the most interesting part... the lack of pronouns. That usually gives it away. Straight men use the words woman, girl, girlfriend rather freely. I'm not here to hate. After watching that I actually feel kinda sad for him. He's trapped for some reason. BTW.. doesn't he have a boyfriend he is always photographed with?

Posted by: M | Nov 2, 2012 6:38:55 PM

22. Enough! Seriously can we start a fund raiser for Ian Thorpe? Hopefully we'll raise sufficient funds to last his lifetime to hand over to him on the condition he never, ever releases another book or talk publicly about his life! His achievement as an elite athlete is extraordinary and admirable however everything else about him is one gigantic snooze fest – including his much discussed sexuality.
    He just needs to focus on churning out that pearl necklace collection of his and ensuring his Brazilian, (male), housemate cleans up after himself.

Posted by: Rob | Nov 2, 2012 10:19:42 PM

23. I do feel sorry for him. Nothing about what he says really rings true for me. Regarding his sexuality, he says he cant understand why people think he's gay, but I wonder if he has ever seen video footage of himself talking. He may be telling the complete and utter truth, or certainly what he believes to be the truth, but it just doesnt ring true for me. Never mind the pearl and rubber jewellery he designs - an oh-so-butch combination dont u think? - its just that he reminds me of every other closeted celebrity Ive seen, Ricky Martin, George Michael etc. Ultimately, I do not care in the slightest whether he is gay or not. He is an enormously talented swimmer and I wish him joy and happiness with the perfect person for him, whoever that might be.

Posted by: OberonOZ | Nov 3, 2012 5:52:54 AM

24. Actually, DAVID and ASTRO, it's quite clear from this thread that the readership of gay men here are some of the most sympathetic human beings you'll find.

Posted by: First Lady | Nov 3, 2012 9:10:44 AM

25. We need to remember that our gayday needs to be recalibrated for different countries. Some years ago, I had a good straight friend of mine from the UK who was into theater. At one point I thought my purpose in life was to disabuse my gay friends who knew him from thinking he was gay. He was grateful for my efforts, as it saved him from turning down requests for dates.

All that being said, I do agree with much that's been previously commented: I do think he's gay.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Nov 3, 2012 9:29:25 AM