Australia | Ian Thorpe | News | Olympics

Ian Thorpe Again Addresses Gay Rumors In TV Interview: VIDEO

Thorpe

With his new autobiography This Is Me hitting the shelves, Australian Olympic swimmer Ian Thorpe is again having to address those persistent rumors that he's gay, as he does in an interview with Australia's ABC News AFTER THE JUMP.

In the video, starting around the 5:10 mark, Thorpe says he's less offended by the rumors and more hurt that people are questioning his integrity and refuse to take his word that he's straight. As for why his sexuality has consistently been a topic of conversation, Thorpe says he believes it's because he doesn't fit the stereotypical athlete mold.

Watch the discussion AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. Poor Ian. Gay or not, he's a sweetheart. I just wish that people weren't so obsessed with pigeonholing others - enough already!

Posted by: Tristram | Nov 3, 2012 11:01:21 AM

2. GAY.

Posted by: steve | Nov 3, 2012 11:03:18 AM

3. I have no opinion on his sexuality, but my impression of Ian is that he seems to be a very kind, sweet man. I wish him wellness and strength in his struggles with depression.

Posted by: jamal49 | Nov 3, 2012 12:25:08 PM

4. Every man with feminine mannerisms is not Gay . I used to think Ken Baker from E Network was Gay it turns out he had a brain tumor that produced female hormones and affected his developement as a male. He had surgery when he was 27. He still has a high voice and feminine mannerisms.

Posted by: Kim | Nov 3, 2012 1:23:38 PM

5. He's mentioned in an interview how ashamed he was of his depression and thoughts of suicide because his father is deeply religious and he didn't want to upset him: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/swimming/there-were-days-in-my-life-that-even-now-make-me-shudder-20121012-27ic8.html

Pretty obvious then why he won't come out.

Posted by: Gary | Nov 3, 2012 4:14:09 PM

6. @ GARY Yes! Having an overly religious parent can be a serious problem. Unfortunately, the only practical solution is to "Move out of the house" and get away from them. Otherwise, the child will never be free to be themselves. All religions, in and of themselves, are based upon bigotry of one kind or another. Without Bigotry, there is no basis at all for any Religion. Whenever I hear someone say that some (Anyone) is deeply "Religious" I substitute the word "Bigoted" for "Religious".

Posted by: Jerry6 | Nov 3, 2012 10:38:24 PM

7. Ian is a very thoughtful, interesting and accomplished young man. A suggestion to many of the posters on this site: Throw out your f*ckin Gaydar, it only proves how much you buy into stereotypes.

Posted by: andrew | Nov 3, 2012 11:17:20 PM

8. KIM: Don't let Jason see your comments. He'll have a hernia.

Posted by: jamal49 | Nov 4, 2012 12:12:56 AM