2012 Election | Mitt Romney | News | Ryan James Yezak

If You're Gay and Voting for Mitt Romney: VIDEO

Yezak

Ryan James Yezak, the filmmaker behind the viral 'The Gay Rights Movement' video, has something to say to you.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I am voting for Obama tomorrow - not just because of the gay rights issue, but because I believe in him across the board. However, I would not vote for either if they both thought like Romney when it comes to gay people and their civil rights. NO ONE has the right to judge the way others live if they are not hurting anyone. Being gay doesn't make me, or anyone else, an less of a person.

Posted by: Dee | Nov 5, 2012 9:07:36 PM

2. That was a little repellent I would say, especially with that rather loathsome screamer at the beginning. The stereotypers are such obnoxious cow pies. Bleh!

Posted by: UFFDA | Nov 5, 2012 9:37:49 PM

3. Go vote! Get your friends to vote. Let's show these people that the LGBT folks can swing this election. Go now!

Posted by: sparklekittens | Nov 6, 2012 1:00:17 AM

4. Great job Ryan. Kudos

Posted by: Molc | Nov 6, 2012 1:00:41 AM

5. @Joseph: "Don't forget that a Democrat signed DOMA into law (Clinton)."

Sometimes we have to make do with the best of two evils. (sigh)

*-*-*-*-*

Some years ago I commented to a staight ally that I did not like the idea of single-issue voting. She explained it should be OK if one's own life were at stake. And for LGBT voters it is. Just remember that some of the Religious Right want to recriminalize LGBT behavior and even to put us in concentration camps. While I hope that the majority of the Religious Right is not so hateful, let's not give them a chance with a Romney election and a Romney SCOTUS.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Nov 6, 2012 1:33:51 AM

6. I voted for Romney/Ryan today -- via absentee ballot. I'm not a one issue voter and I'm not going to put the comfort of having a gay-friendly president over jobs, the economy, etc., etc. The gay community has tried to turn this whole election into some subliminal theme about "equality," and treating Obama as Moses simply because he endorsed same sex marriage -- while overlooking every other issue at stake. Obama hasn't made good on most of the promises he proclaimed in 2008, but because he threw a bone to gay marriage I'm supposed to overlook all that and see him as some sort of demigod.

I say with no hesitation, shame or remorse that I voted for Romney...and no I'm not part of GoProud, nor am I a Log Cabin Republican. I'm a democrat who has voted for every democratic presidential nominee (including Obama in '08) since becoming eligible to vote. He let me down and I'm not interested in having another 4 years of him in office, breaking more promises and not living up to the expectation.

I'm not 100% sold on Romney, but I need some new blood...and if he sucks, then in 2016, I'll just vote for someone else.

Posted by: Miguel A. Mendoza | Nov 6, 2012 2:11:17 AM

7. go vote. it's fun and educational. you'll meet new people. but mostly, go vote. vote.

Posted by: pleasevote | Nov 6, 2012 2:13:55 AM

8. I have noticed that gays,Blacks and Jews that are voting for Romney have one thing in common... they are all rich!

Posted by: Jerry Pritikin aka The Bleacher Preacher | Nov 6, 2012 2:15:21 AM

9. Gay people should be ashamed of voting for Mitt Romney--as should anybody. No candidate who thinks that Americans should be able to be fired for being gay should receive support or respect from ANYBODY, gay or straight.

Posted by: jd | Nov 6, 2012 4:29:38 AM

10. All those voting for Romney here will not change the fact that his chance of winning is down to 8% now. In order to win, he may need the help of God or master Okawa advertized on this page.

Posted by: simon | Nov 6, 2012 5:48:14 AM

11. I find it interesting that when claiming that they are not "one issue voters" some people continually mention only one issue when defending their support of Romney..."the economy". This is especially ridiculous when many experts - experts mind you not the rest of us - persist in saying that the economy will improve REGARDLESS of who is elected. So throw that reasoning out with the garbage that a vote for Romney will help and a vote for Obama will hinder the economy. And I am so surprised that conservatives are so concerned about "jobs" considering they really do not care about the welfare of others, if they did they would be democrats.
    Obama's presidency is hardly "one issue" anyway. It is more than just about equal rights for ALL Americans. It is about fair and even taxation, it's about health care, regulating greedy banking practices, it is about being a leader in world politics promoting peace and democracy and not the world's bully policeman starting wars on phony premises, it is about actually being a Democratic Republic protecting the minority against the tyranny of the majority, keeping us from becoming a theocracy of sorts, and it is about much more than this but I have run out of time...

Posted by: Paul C.K. | Nov 6, 2012 6:49:20 AM

12. Gays who vote for Romney/Ryan have daddy issues. They hate themselves so they take it out on the rest of us.

Posted by: Bobby | Nov 6, 2012 9:47:53 AM

13. Tim in MT - off yourself and you can accomplish that. you won't be missed.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Nov 6, 2012 9:48:56 AM

14. All I've got to say is that if you're gay and you vote for Mitt Romney you're a f*cking FOOL!

And I mean that. A blithering idiot.

Not *just* because of his stance on gay issues, though those are very important. He not only wants to limit the rights you get in the future but ROLL BACK rights you already have. If that isn't a deal breaker for you when it comes to voting FOR someone, enabling to DISable you, then you're beyond hope. Even slugs have an impulse for self-preservation- a biological imperative that seems to have skipped you entirely.

But lets put all that aside for a moment. Please explain why you think Mitt Romney's policies and leadership skills are ANY different from George W Bush. Why do you support someone who has been secretive about his own taxes, his Caymon Island and Swiss bank accounts, his religious beliefs and their influence on his political stances, AND has never spelled out exactly what his plans ARE? Because he's a wealthy "businessman"? For Mitt Romney it can truly be said "He DID NOT build that." His father did. The biggest deprivation Mitt Romney has ever faced in his life is when he had to sell some his stock when he attended college. Oh, the horror! He's a man who thinks "Borrow money from your dad to start your own business!" is valid and reasonable advice to people struggling in this economy. After all, that's what HE did it worked out great, so he thinks it should be just as easy for you. What makes you think that a Romney-backed round of tax cuts for the wealthy will somehow fix things when it has been done many times and not only didn't it work but it has created the largest income gap in a modern Western country, more closely resembling the income distribution found in 3rd World countries?

It's insane. It's like you're just BEGGING for another heaping plate of sh*t to devour, having already choked down a plate of it served to you by George W Bush. The only thing I can take from that is you must really love the taste of it.

Posted by: Caliban | Nov 6, 2012 9:57:27 AM

15. that's just it, Caliban - you can't actually point to Romney's policies and say "yeah, this guy has a fiscal plan to help america"

it aint there. screw the poor. screw the middle classes. tax breaks for the wealthy, while they ship jobs overseas and away from Americans.

what makes a gay man vote Republican? his own racism, his own inability to stand up to the bigots who birthed him, and a desperate insecurity about his life as a reluctant homosexual.

getting honesty from a gay republican is like getting honesty from an evolution-denying Creationist - at some point in the conversation it becomes shockingly apparent that their state of willful ignorance is their only coping mechanism for the sorry state of their own lives.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Nov 6, 2012 10:08:55 AM

16. A gay man with the surname Mendoza voted for Romney? Now I've heard everything!

You really should see a shrink about your poor self-esteem.

Posted by: endo | Nov 6, 2012 10:16:42 AM

17. From Pulitzer-winning playwright Dough Wright:

“I wish my moderate Republican friends would simply be honest. They all say they’re voting for Romney because of his economic policies (tenuous and ill-formed as they are), and that they disagree with him on gay rights. Fine. Then look me in the eye, speak with a level clear voice, and say, ‘My taxes and take-home pay mean more than your fundamental civil rights, the sanctity of your marriage, your right to visit an ailing spouse in the hospital, your dignity as a citizen of this country, your healthcare, your right to inherit, the mental welfare and emotional well-being of your youth, and your very personhood.’”

It's this next part of Wright's words that I think are HUGELY important, inescapably true. If I knew how to post it in BOLD letters and a larger font, I would.

"It’s like voting for George Wallace during the Civil Rights movements, and apologizing for his racism. You’re still complicit. You’re still perpetuating anti-gay legislation and cultural homophobia. You don’t get to walk away clean, because you say you “disagree” with your candidate on these issues.”

Posted by: Caliban | Nov 6, 2012 10:17:20 AM