Kevin Clash | News | Sesame Street

Kevin Clash, Voice of Sesame Street's Elmo, Resigns After Second Man Comes Forward with Underage Sex Allegations

Sesame Street Workshop has announced the resignation of Kevin Clash, voice of the Elmo muppet:

2_clashSesame Workshop’s mission is to harness the educational power of media to help all children the world over reach their highest potential. Kevin Clash has helped us achieve that mission for 28 years, and none of us, especially Kevin, want anything to divert our attention from our focus on serving as a leading educational organization. Unfortunately, the controversy surrounding Kevin’s personal life has become a distraction that none of us want, and he has concluded that he can no longer be effective in his job and has resigned from Sesame Street. This is a sad day for Sesame Street.

The statement appears to be a response to new allegations from a second accuser.

TMZ reports:

The accuser -- who is now in his 30s -- has filed a lawsuit against Clash ... claiming the two met on a gay phone chat line back in 1993 ... when the accuser was 15 years old and Clash was 32.  In the suit, the accuser reveals his name -- Cecil Singleton.

Among the allegations, Singleton claims, "[Clash] trolled gay telephone chat line rooms to meet and have sex with underage boys."

In the lawsuit, filed in federal court in NYC, Singleton claims Clash "groomed [the accuser] to gain his trust by, among other things, taking him to nice dinners and giving him money." Singleton claims while Clash was featured on "Sesame Street," he was "preying on teenage boys to satisfy his depraved sexual interests."

Earlier this week, Clash's first accuser Sheldon Stephens, said he was pressured into a settlement and wanted to recant his recantation, saying he didn't lie.

Comments

1. Really tragic, but it sounds like it was an accident waiting to happen. When you're involved with kids, reckless personal behavior can bite you hard in the ass! This is a reminder to those of us who mistakenly think we're fully accepted that myths and stereotypes can still hurt us; it will be harder for openly Gay men to work in a high-profile children's entertainment capacity now that the Gay = pedophile/pederast thing has risen its ugly head again. The religious Right Wing will hold on to this incident for a minute!

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | Nov 20, 2012 1:11:41 PM

2. @HM2 MATT,

I hear you. Truth is a grown man should stay the F away from under age teens, period. I understand some of them act and look mature, etc. but it's absolutely against the law and can RUIN your life if the SHTF afterwards. Being a registered sex offender is a life sentence.

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 20, 2012 1:12:57 PM

3. These people are waiting several years, even decades, to finally come forward with these "stories"...? What makes now so important, do they need money more than ever? I don't buy it, especially since scum-media site TMZ is the one "breaking the news" ...

Posted by: reality | Nov 20, 2012 1:17:13 PM

4. @RAT, don't even get me started on Sex Offender registration nonsense.

But yeah, end of the day, ask for ID, Stupid. And if you like 'em young looking, date an Asian :P

Posted by: HM2 Matt | Nov 20, 2012 1:22:06 PM

5. When I was 25, I was involved in my first long term relationship with a man six years my senior. He did not coerce me nor was he a dirty old man looking to use/abuse children. I pursued him because he was decent and I was attracted to a man older than myself whom I could look up to, respect and love since I had left home at the age of 14 and no longer had a father.

Our relationship ended six later (my call) and it never occurred to me to sue him or try to make life difficult for him in any manner. I was thankful for the relationship that we had and we remained friends for many years afterward until he moved to Chicago.

I just don't have any patience for people who feel the need to play the blame-game like this POS who comes out of the woodwork, ten years after the fact that he looked for and enjoyed the sexual attention that he got from an older man.

In my time, we had a name for people like this.

Gold-diggers.

Posted by: Schlukitz | Nov 20, 2012 1:23:17 PM

6. Oops...typo. I was 15, not 25.

Posted by: Schlukitz | Nov 20, 2012 1:24:47 PM

7. 15 and 21 is far less of a big deal than 40+ and 15. At any rate that 21 year old is lucky he was caught with a 15 year old, ending up as a registered sex offender...for life. And a 21 year old should in fact be associating with dudes his own age group. A 21 and 25 year old would have a lot more in common than a 21 and 15 year old.

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 20, 2012 1:30:41 PM

8. When I was a teen i totally had a thing for older guys. And the ones with integrity gave me a pat on the head and told me to go find guys my own age.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Nov 20, 2012 1:36:47 PM

9. Have you even talked to 20-somethings recently? Jesus they are just as immature and infantile as they were at 12.

I'm joking but there might be something to that.

Posted by: HM2 Matt | Nov 20, 2012 1:38:08 PM

10. HM2 - yeah. totally.

there's really no such thing as "mature for their age" - everyone is utterly their age. no matter how mature an act they put on.

i'm 30 and wouldn't date someone younger than 25. why? because i remember being younger than 25. duh.

relationships that exist in spite of an age difference can work. relationships that exist BECAUSE OF an age difference are doomed from the start.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Nov 20, 2012 1:40:42 PM

11. LITTLEKIWI is my hero.

Posted by: Jeff Kurtti | Nov 20, 2012 2:03:20 PM

12. "to any "younger" people who think that they might find "one of the good ones" - the good ones will send you on your way because they know that there are certain things that Younger People should figure out with Other Younger People."

Co-signed.

It's perfectly acceptable for a child or teenager to have sexual or romantic feelings for an adult. It's not acceptable - ever - for an adult to reciprocate those feelings through actions.

And quite frankly, it does say something when you see the frequency with which certain older men just happen to always have teenage boys pursuing them. It casts doubt on this argument of pursuit by the younger in the relationship.

Posted by: Nat | Nov 20, 2012 2:43:16 PM

13. With respect to JJ's comment about Javier, I presume Javier was not blaming a 15 year old, but rather questioning the credibility of a 30-something guy's claim.

The first web browser usable enough to attract the general public came out in early 1993, and you didn't have a lot of web sites until mosaic was widely deployed. So, how did this guy, at the age of 15, discover a gay chat line? Did he live in a city where it would be easier to find some gay-oriented publications, or did he live in suburbia where it would not be so easy?

Posted by: Bill | Nov 20, 2012 2:44:37 PM

14. It's disturbing how some people are making light of the situation. These teenagers may not have been "innocent" but Clash still broke the law. This is just bad judgment on his part. He's no different from those married politicians who cheat on their wives - part of the thrill must have been because it was dangerous. Seriously, if he liked young guys, there would have been plenty of guys who were at least 18 willing to sell their soul & body as evidenced by comments here.

Posted by: Scar2 | Nov 20, 2012 2:45:19 PM

15. While I was willing to give Clash a strong benefit of the doubt with #1, I cannot now. Based on Clash's age, this behavior with boys was probably during his sham marriage to a woman. By explanation but not excuse.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Nov 20, 2012 2:49:17 PM

16. How far is this going to go? Cecil called a phone sex line and got dinner (and we assume, sex). Two decades later, it's a court case?

This is, quite frankly, an abuse of the law.

Posted by: Randy | Nov 20, 2012 2:52:52 PM

17. It all stared with a retracted statement. Gays can be cruel to other Gays must be the new fad.

Posted by: M. Scott Hernandez | Nov 20, 2012 3:10:59 PM

18. Innocent or guilty, Clash is already screwed. Given the nature of his work, his career is over, no matter how this plays out. He will never, ever be free of this, even if he is innocent. He should get extensive plastic surgery and move to Thailand or something.

Posted by: Marty | Nov 20, 2012 3:41:36 PM

19. Kevin Clash is worth tens of millions of dollars. He's been doing Elmo for over 25 years. He gets back end money on merchandising, etc. He'll be just fine.

While he certainly used bad judgement in hooking up with some of these younger guys; it is grotesque that these men would now come out of the wood work for money.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Nov 20, 2012 4:04:15 PM

20. Such a sad story.

I watched Saving Elmo this past weekend on Netflix due to all the media attention. I found Kevin to be so warm and kind. In fact, I cried.

I wish everyone involved good vibes. I can't judge. I just pray all comes to a better outcome.

Posted by: Billy | Nov 20, 2012 4:14:21 PM

21. When I was 15 I had sex with a 30 year old sergeant under the stars and I loved it. I would never throw him under the bus, regardless of who he was especially 15 years later.

Posted by: tyler | Nov 20, 2012 4:22:53 PM

22. "I hooked up with Kevin Clash on a Commodore-64 BBS when I was 8!!

How do I get PAID?"

LMAO!

Posted by: River | Nov 20, 2012 4:34:09 PM

23. I still don't know.. This new accuser has holes in his story. He's a trans guy that broke up with Kevin because he felt Kevin liked him too much. This was when he was an adult, years after the alleged molestations, that probably never occurred.. Yeah, because who wouldn't want to date someone who makes money every time someone buys an Elmo doll.. Well I guess he doesn't have to date him for his money if he sues him for molestation and gets a 5 million dollar check.. I think I'll sue next, I was in a toy store once and an Elmo doll rubbed me the wrong way, give me a million dollars please.

Posted by: NeverEclipsed81 | Nov 20, 2012 4:44:53 PM

24. Extortion. The second low-life saw that the first got a big settlement and wants a piece. He has bad character now because he had bad character then. He was on a phone sex line to have sex with older men.

Posted by: Billy Crytical | Nov 20, 2012 7:47:52 PM

25. "Tickle me Elmo" has a whole new meaning!

Posted by: andrew | Nov 20, 2012 8:42:36 PM