2012 Election | Bisexual | Kyrsten Sinema | News

Kyrsten Sinema Victorious in Arizona House Race; Becomes 1st Openly Bisexual Member of Congress

Former Democratic state senator Kyrsten Sinema has officially won her Arizona congressional race, the AP reports:

SinemaSinema had a narrow lead on election night that made the race too close to call. But she slowly improved that advantage as more ballots were tallied in recent days, and now has a nearly 6,000-vote edge that is too much for Republican Vernon Parker to overcome.

Parker, who took the national stage briefly in September when he gave the GOP weekly address, was criticized by Democrats as a tea party radical who would hurt children by cutting the federal education department.

Sinema is the first openly bisexual member of Congress.

Comments

1. Don't know much about her platform, but that is one cool name.

Posted by: Byron St. James | Nov 12, 2012 3:16:40 PM

2. Not only is she bisexual, but she is also single and an atheist. And she still won. In ARIZONA no less! Congrats Kyrsten!

Posted by: Luke | Nov 12, 2012 3:48:52 PM

3. Great! Progress made on several fronts and in Arizona? That's a big deal. Congrats Kyrsten!

Posted by: Francis | Nov 12, 2012 4:07:57 PM

4. I'm sorry but I think Kyrsten is a fake. I think she's possibly another one of those fake female bisexuals whose bisexuality is designed to titillate sleazy straight guys rather than to help the GLBT cause. We don't need women like that representing us.

The other thing that irks me about her is her name: Sinema. If that is a made-up name, it adds to the fakery. It also reeks of gimmickry - I certainly don't want same-sex sexuality connected to the word "sin".

As far as I'm concerned, Kyrsten, like many other women, does NOT deserve our respect. These women ultimately harm our cause. They trivialize our sexuality.

Posted by: jason | Nov 12, 2012 4:17:51 PM

5. The other thing I find interesting is that gay men seem to support bisexual women but not bisexual men. It's a fascinating insight into how the brains of gay men operate.

It's as if gay men are supporting the concept of female bisexuality in order to curry favor with sleay straight guys who have a fetish for girl-girl action as part of their heterosexual encounters with women.

Contrast this with the hostility shown by gay men towards bisexual men. It's an interesting double standard because it suggests that the attitudes of gay men are determined by the idea of using the sex acts of women to pander to sleazy straight guys.

Posted by: jason | Nov 12, 2012 4:39:27 PM

6. Don't bother to respond to the two posts above me, folks.

Posted by: Francis | Nov 12, 2012 4:45:09 PM

7. So a person you've never met and know nothing about is fake? I've met Kyrsten several times, and she's anything but fake. She was very active in Phoenix's LGBT community; in fact, she was the primary reason why the initial gay marriage ban in Arizona failed to pass.

That's rich coming from you, Jason, considering you're the biggest fake on this website. You're not a gay man; everyone on here knows it. You're just a lowly Concern Troll.

Andy, how much longer are you going to continue to let this buffoon comment here?

Posted by: endo | Nov 12, 2012 4:48:36 PM

8. Endo,

Women use their sexuality as a marketing ploy. This means they can fake it if they choose to do so. Women can do this because they do NOT need to be aroused in order to have sex with somebody.

Also, because a man's sex drive is much higher than a woman's, a woman is in a position to sell to him. This means that women will elaborate, embellish and outright lie about their sexuality in order to obtain a reward - usually financial - from the male buyer. Part of this charade of women is their claim of being interested sexually in women. "I'm bisexual" is not an uncommon refrain of women who are seeking rewards from men.

I'm not saying that all this applies to Kyrsten as I don't know much of her background. However, I'm looking into it.

Posted by: jason | Nov 12, 2012 4:58:50 PM

9. You don't know anything about her background, so SHUTTHEFUCKUP!

Stop slandering people, assshole.

Posted by: endo | Nov 12, 2012 5:03:13 PM

10. Seems like the silly trolls have not fled the scene as hoped. They still buzz about like flies on well-you-know.

Posted by: Byron St. James | Nov 12, 2012 5:03:57 PM

11. "Women can do this because they do NOT need to be aroused in order to have sex with somebody."

You don't either, Jason. Just stop being so cheap and buy some KY Jelly to stick up in there.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Nov 12, 2012 5:12:25 PM

12. Derrick From Philly,

I don't resile at all from what I've said. Perhaps you're angry because I'm exposing the bisexual double standard of gay men.

I'm exposing the fakery of women and the fact that gay guys enable it. Gay guys use the fake bisexuality of women to curry favor with straight men. This exploitative aspect of gay men's personalities can also be seen in how they treat women as egg donors and incubators vis a vis having children.

As for KY Jelly, have you ever thought about using it to lubricate the synapses of your retina? It might help you to see that I'm right.

Posted by: jason | Nov 12, 2012 5:30:24 PM

13. You've exposed nothing but your own ignorance, you turd.

Posted by: endo | Nov 12, 2012 5:33:56 PM

14. Wow, Jason.. what did your mother do to you when you were growing up? Such a shame..

Posted by: Luke | Nov 12, 2012 5:37:14 PM

15. When a bisexual man wins a seat, call me. Bisexual women do NOT represent progress.

Note that many bisexual women seem to be in relationships with men rather than women. I think it's the money....

Posted by: jason | Nov 12, 2012 5:50:19 PM

16. Which one of your fake usernames do you want us to call you at?

Posted by: endo | Nov 12, 2012 5:54:47 PM

17. Jason blathers on about how Ms. Sinema is a fake because she identifies as bisexual, when he himself is a fake.

Jason/Rick aren't gay men, as they previously commented on how they find anal sex repulsive. They also stand against any pro-LGBT figures, laws, or media.

Don't fall for it, folks. Endo, please stop responding to Jason/Rick. He's a troll. If you ignore him, he will starve and eventually die off.

Posted by: MateoM | Nov 12, 2012 6:12:48 PM

18. I'm the Editor of Compete magazine ("we are gay sports" as well as Associate Editor for the agency as a whole (we also do 3 other publications, including Ben Cohen's Stand Up Foundation new official magazine). I had arranged for an interview with Krysten when she was one of five openly LGB elected state politicians here in Arizona (including "Jack" Jackson, the only openly gay elected full blooded American Indian who serves as a state senator (he's Navajo) and I also did an interview with him--he's one of those who flew into California during the open window of same-sex marriage and tied the knot with his Euro-American husband, who happens to be a flight attendant.) Krysten had been named by Time magazine as one of the "40 Leaders Under 40." As a sports media agency, I focused on the fact she has a history of running marathons. A few months later I called her office to do a follow up interview and was told by her assistant she was busy in Africa finishing up her Ph.D research, and would get back to me when she returned to the states. She's a real delight, and yes, Sinema is her last name. The family name is originally from the province of Friesland in The Netherlands, and she was born in Arizona. She's down to earth, funny, and started off as a social worker and keeps a strong interest in the health and support of children and families.

Posted by: Ty Nolan | Nov 12, 2012 6:47:49 PM

19. Did this thing just eat my superlong comment? :(

Posted by: Katherine | Nov 12, 2012 9:16:34 PM

20. I think Jason needs a hug.

Posted by: Kyle | Nov 12, 2012 11:15:11 PM

21. I think Andy was right to call Kyrsten the first "openly" bisexual member of Congress. There must have been bisexuals in Congress before this. According to the posters on Towleroad, half of the conservatives in Congress are closeted bisexuals! But why not? As Woody Allen once said, being bisexual doubles your chances of getting a date on Saturday night!

....just being silly tonight, folks!

Posted by: Mary | Nov 12, 2012 11:23:35 PM

22. "I think Jason needs a hug."

You're probably right, Kyle. Just not from a woman!

Posted by: Mary | Nov 12, 2012 11:28:07 PM