2016 Election | Creationism | Marco Rubio | News | Republican Party

BigGayDeal.com

Marco Rubio Not Sure Whether the Earth Was Created 'in 7 Days or 7 Actual Eras'

A couple choice answers from a GQ profile of Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL), seen as one of the leading contenders for the GOP in 2016.

RubioGQ: How old do you think the Earth is?

Marco Rubio: I'm not a scientist, man. I can tell you what recorded history says, I can tell you what the Bible says, but I think that's a dispute amongst theologians and I think it has nothing to do with the gross domestic product or economic growth of the United States. I think the age of the universe has zero to do with how our economy is going to grow. I'm not a scientist. I don't think I'm qualified to answer a question like that. At the end of the day, I think there are multiple theories out there on how the universe was created and I think this is a country where people should have the opportunity to teach them all. I think parents should be able to teach their kids what their faith says, what science says. Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries.

Slate notes, of the answer: "So this answer, as confounding as it is, turns out to be pretty clever. Rubio is mushy on the "age of the earth" itself, which would cast him forever as a scientific know-nothing. But he posits that the Earth was created in "seven days or seven actual eras" -- and that these are the only possible options. That's a popular position!"

Here's another question:

GQ: You talk a lot to young Republicans. Recently I met a Republican who said, my kids are in high school and there's a prom. There's straight kids, gay kids. It's no big deal to them. And he says, my party, the Republican party, has to stop putting these social issues out there and talking more about stuff that effects people.

Marco Rubio: I think that's unfair. A significant percentage of Americans feel very strongly about this issue. What I'm hearing is that it's ok for one side to express their view and the other side needs to be quiet. There are a very significant number of Americans that feel very strongly about the issue of life, about the issue of marriage and are we saying that they should be silenced or not allowed to speak or voice their opinion? There's a way to do that that is respectful and productive. There are things we'll always disagree on, but it doesn't mean we go to war over them or divide our country over them. We agree to disagree, but we continue to work together on the things we all know that we have to do.

In related news, David Mixner posts a video from an appearance Rubio made in Iowa over the weekend at a Republican fundraising dinner as evidence the Tea Party favorite is already getting his feet wet.

Comments

1. Rubio has already lost the Religious Right. This was a simple answer according to most on the Religious Right: 4004BC. (According to Bp Ussher: the evening preceding 23 October, to be exact) No major discussion is allowed, except for a few years. Certainly no paragraph long answer!

A good Episcopal priest friend of mine was on a job interview and was asked whether Jesus walked on water. He gave a paragraph long answer - and immediately sensed he lost the job. He told a group of us that it evidently was a "yes or no" question. To which we responded, no, it was a "yes" question.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Nov 19, 2012 2:44:38 PM

2. I have to say that this creacionist theories are something totally alien for me. I was in a Catholic school in my teen years, and frankly if someone tried to explain creacionism, everybody would laugh in his face.
    The inteligent design is everything but inteligent.
    In europe if a polititian cuestion the evolution it would be ridiculed to no end.

Posted by: jjose712 | Nov 19, 2012 2:48:49 PM

3. And by the way, if the tea party reminds powerful the republican candidate won't stand a chance in the elections.
    To be elected by the republican party the candidate needs to please far right lobbys, and doing that, he will lose any posibility to attract the center votes.
    If they really want to win, they need a fiscal conservative but social moderate, but that's not going to happen. In fact republican moderates are being bullied by the tea party.
    Maybe after losing a couple of more elections they realize the obvious

Posted by: jjose712 | Nov 19, 2012 2:54:57 PM

4. Oh, Great.....Another loser for the Republican Party! They sure do know how to lose elections. Keep it up, I want the Republicans to keep losing!

Posted by: Casper | Nov 19, 2012 3:03:23 PM

5. He's gross.

Posted by: Bill | Nov 19, 2012 3:03:53 PM

6. This is going to be the GOP mantra for this next 4 years: we're still going to be idiotic, but we're going to be more ambiguously idiotic. Ohhh...and more latino, since we think they are the minority we are most likely to win over.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Nov 19, 2012 3:20:49 PM

7. The senator is leaving out the part where they make their personal opinions, their free speech into laws that hurt the gay community. For those that were hoping for a Rubio that is moderat on social issues and a fiscal conservative, you're living in a Log Cabin fantasy world. If you want a fiscal conservative, pick a Democrat, they are the only ones to come close in the last 35 years. Even the old claim "Tax and spend" is more fiscally conservative then "Spend and borrow". It's the difference of paying cash out of your wallet, or putting it on a credit card. Paul Ryan, Mr Fiscal Conservitive had is name on every bill that landed in front if him until the moment Obama took the oath. In spit of the crap on the right, most I'd the US credit card bill we have to barrow to pay to day, was ran up by the Republicans.
    Rubio is just the next generation of right wing nut jobs, who are determined to for their religious on the rest of the nation. If they succeed, we will not be able to compete in an educated world.

Posted by: Bayhuntr | Nov 19, 2012 3:40:07 PM

8. I think his insistence on "two parent" households (never was it "a mother and a father") will also come back to bite him. He's inadvertanly made a great ad for marriage equality with this speech. I loved the way he dodged the gay issue in his GQ response.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Nov 19, 2012 3:49:57 PM

9. The Republicans are going to put an action plan to win the 2016 elections. I don't think Obama will "screw up" in the next four years, but I hope the Democrats don't "fall asleep" either before it's too late. We should start showing who these people are - Rubio, Christie, Bachmann, etc especially the ones that want to run for POTUS next time.

Posted by: Chris in Irvine | Nov 19, 2012 3:57:38 PM

10. Was this interview conducted after the recent GOP disaster?! Rubio should be next Republican looser

Posted by: jaragon | Nov 19, 2012 5:00:06 PM

11. Yep he's a Republican. He does all he can to avoid the question - as usual they don't want you to know they believe all this crazy stuff so they talk about the economy instead. He will go to a Republican fundraiser and claim he believe in the Bible stupidity because the audience there will be similar freaks. Then he will come to the mainstream media like this interview and deny those insane beliefs !

You can't have it both ways Republicans - which DO you believe ?

Posted by: Icebloo | Nov 19, 2012 5:11:19 PM

12. This hombre is a joke. And as false as a two dollar bill.

Posted by: Gast | Nov 19, 2012 6:27:38 PM

13. I can't stand Rubio, he's a snake. I remember this ad he did for Romney about medicare. Rubio said something like: "Medicare wont be the same for you and I, but we will leave Medicare as it is for seniors 65 and up. After all it is the least we can do for them [our parents, grandparents]" As if time would freeze and folks would stop getting old. It was disgusting and disingenuous.

Posted by: Gast | Nov 19, 2012 6:39:02 PM

14. Here in TN, they have taken steps though new legislation to allow creationism back into the classroom. This law turns the clock back nearly 100 years here in the seemingly unprogressive South and is simply embarrassing. There is no argument against the Theory of Evolution other than that of religious doctrine. The Monkey Law only opens the door for fanatic Christianity to creep its way back into our classrooms. You can see my visual response as a Tennessean to this absurd law on my artist’s blog at http://dregstudiosart.blogspot.com/2012/04/pulpit-in-classroom-biblical-agenda-in.html with some evolutionary art and a little bit of simple logic.

Posted by: Brandt Hardin | Nov 19, 2012 7:33:04 PM

15. @Gast: nice try, but two dollar bills really exist and are legal tender

Gov Jindal of Louisiana is another attempt at an intellectual, but his state education system is a disaster and he's decided to allow vouchers for Christian religious schools. (There was a scare at one point by a state legislator that vouchers might be allowed at an Islamic charter school!)

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Nov 19, 2012 10:07:20 PM

16. It's hard to believe that I once found him attractive. He just seems all kinds of ugly to me now: intelligence is a turn on, ignorance is just ugly.

Posted by: niles | Nov 20, 2012 12:17:54 AM

17. jjose712's comment, "The inteligent design is everything but inteligent," reminded me of a wise-ass comment I've heard at a gym, as a complaint about sore joints, tendons, etc.: if it's intelligent design, can we ask for a recall or file a product-liability suit against God?

Posted by: Bill | Nov 20, 2012 12:23:14 AM

18. The age of the earth is not a theory. It is a calculated fact in geology. Marco Rubio doesn't need to be a scientist to know this fact, but he needs to be an intelligent, informed, educated person which he clearly is not. If he wants to know, he can look it up in an encyclopedia. Apparently being a know-nothing is now a requirement to win the Republican presidential nomination. Will ignorance be a qualification for the presidency in 2016? In happier days it was a disqualification. Let's keep it that way.

Posted by: Jim | Nov 20, 2012 1:07:28 AM

19. First we have Rick Perry saying evolution is just a "theory" . Now we have Rubio saying Big Bang is just a "theory". They are trying to add creationism into the school curriculum in Texas and may be Florida. This is dangerous. Richard Dawkin had an article in Washington Post lamenting that "Ignorance and lack of education are positive qualifications" to be a leader in Today's Republican Party.

Posted by: simon | Nov 20, 2012 4:29:15 AM

20. The ONLY way this idiot can pander deeper to religious nutballs is if he had knee pads on!

Posted by: mmike1969 | Nov 20, 2012 8:42:06 AM

21. Note: Effects and affects are different words with different meanings. Damned homophones!

Posted by: Joseph Singer | Nov 20, 2012 8:55:59 AM

22. Just like some other scientific illiterates in Congress, Rubio is on some scientific committees:(

Rubio may already be dead becuase our friend Bryan Fischer thinks Hispanics are an inferior stock of socialists who don't share the proper values of this country.

@Jaragon: it's published in the December 2012 issue. I presume it was pre-election. Had it been post-election, I'm sure the debacle would have been discussed.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Nov 20, 2012 10:04:15 PM

23. And here’s then-Sen. Obama, D-Ill., speaking at the Compassion Forum at Messiah College in Grantham, Pa. on April 13, 2008:

Q: Senator, if one of your daughters asked you—and maybe they already have—“Daddy, did god really create the world in 6 days?,” what would you say?

A: What I’ve said to them is that I believe that God created the universe and that the six days in the Bible may not be six days as we understand it … it may not be 24-hour days, and that’s what I believe. I know there’s always a debate between those who read the Bible literally and those who don’t, and I think it’s a legitimate debate within the Christian community of which I’m a part. My belief is that the story that the Bible tells about God creating this magnificent Earth on which we live—that is essentially true, that is fundamentally true. Now, whether it happened exactly as we might understand it reading the text of the Bible: That, I don’t presume to know.

Posted by: Vatar | Nov 21, 2012 11:27:26 AM