Education | Macklemore | Michigan | News

BigGayDeal.com

Michigan School Suspends Teacher For Playing Pro-Gay 'Same Love': VIDEO

TeacherSuspended

South Lyon's Centennial Middle School in Michigan suspended performing arts teacher Susan Johnson for letting a student play Macklemore and Ryan Lewis' pro-marriage equality song "Same Love."

Even though the song is about celebrating everyone, the school sided with an offended student and told Johnson to take three-days off, two of which were without pay.

"I was paralyzed. I really didn't understand why I was being suspended," she told the local Fox News affiliate. "I'm very disappointed in the bias, the bigotry that I feel that they're really hiding behind."

"I really love my kids and I never want to hurt them, but I also know that there's a lot of bullying and there's a lot of gay bashing and racial issues going on in our country and I want the kids to feel comfortable in my class no matter who they are," said the teacher, who has contacted the ACLU about the matter.

The school wouldn't comment on the situation, saying, "We don't go on camera here in South Lyon." Alrighty, then.

Watch the news report and the "Same Love" video AFTER THE JUMP.

[via Gawker]

Comments

1. I'm from Michigan and I fully support the actions made by this schools administration. Playing this video for a mixed group was totally inappropriate and I imagine that some of the parents wouldn't have been too keen on their children being exposed to it. Keep the sociopolitical agendas out of the classroom.

Posted by: AC | Nov 30, 2012 12:33:59 AM

2. @AC: In other words: the anti-LGBT sociopolitical agenda must be given precedence over the LGBT-friendly sociopolitical agenda.

One has to be very careful about what students may be excused from hearing. We are talking middle school here. The Religious Right opposes divorce. How then do you teach the Reformation in England? Some of the Religious Right oppose women's suffrage. How do you teach early 20c American History? More than the Religious Right teach a 6000 year old earth. How do you teach the currently accepted basis of multiple sciences?

Reality exists as it exists, not as many people want to pretend it exists. Public school needs to teach facts of reality and the one value of facing up to reality. Values, in general, need to be taught at home. Fine, at home you learn that divorce is a sin - the fact is, however, many people are divorced and you have to learn to deal with that fact and those people. The same is true for many other issues.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Nov 30, 2012 3:26:58 AM

3. Hey SC David,

Here's suspended teacher Ms. Johnson's E-mail address. And if anyone else wishes to send some kind words of encouragement her way, spread the love:

Johnson, Susan: johnsons@slcs.us

Posted by: El | Nov 30, 2012 8:01:20 AM

4. Thanks, El. I will write Ms. Johnson today.

I received a brief answer from Melissa Baker, who claims she truly does "continue to reflect on every email and communication" and sent me the press release from the Superintendent. It's got one of those awful non-apology apologies "if I offended anyone."

I wish I could share it, but Belonsky and Towleroad don't seem to have a published email box where I can forward it.

Posted by: SC David | Nov 30, 2012 9:43:00 AM

5. Thank you everyone for the beautiful e-mails and encouraging comments. This has certainly helped me through the last few days.

Peace, Susan Johnson

Posted by: Susan Johnson | Nov 30, 2012 10:30:00 PM

6. Adult "Bullying" remains alive and well, and between the ACLU and (if part of one) her Local Union should be right there by Ms Johnson's side. Thinking back to 8th Grade - putting myself in a classroom, clearly aware I was 'different" (1966) - and absolutely no one to speak with, turn to, nothing - a complete void - even a course with a name like 'performing arts' ... oh to have heard this song and seen this video! To know peers have heard this song and how it actually resonates, something to openly 'discuss' and talk about - just to talk about it!

The ongoing marginalization of our lives, 'social issues' - is nothing more than words purposely used to toss us (along with everyone else) to the side. We are not a 'social issue' - we are all human issues and Susan Johnson has, (and certainly not part of "The Agenda"), helped tear down one more wall. Not without pain - and struggle.

And as far as @ AC goes, how lame your comment is. The 'social' element of society is present in all of lives - every day. Check in with reality and you might find the actual 'agenda' is your very own.

Posted by: RexT | Dec 1, 2012 3:42:23 PM

7. Shouldn't this teacher be jailed? She is discriminating which is against the law.

Posted by: Anonymous - Don't ask. Don't tell. | Jan 24, 2013 12:53:59 PM